Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Diesel Fuel Additives

With last smumer's $5.00 a gallon fuel, I filled up then parked the Roadhouse while I built its new garage. Now it's been almost a year without driving more than 200 feet.
Should I be using some sort of "Stabil" for diesel? If so, what?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Diesel fuel additives generally are not stabilizers as gas additives are but rather lubricants and should be added when fueling.

The most common problem with diesel when stored over a long time is the growth of algae. You want know until you drive it if algae is present. it will clog the fuel filter and cut off the fuel flow.

If the tank was full odds are on your side that it will be OK.

In the future consider using a fuel additive to put back what the "Do Gooders" have taken out of the diesel. Another advantage of the additives is they tend to emulsify small quantities of water and reduce "water in fuel" problems.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Paul,

Diesel fuel storage, especially in humid climates requires a little more TLC than drier climates. YES, I would recommend using one of the multipurpose additives that are commercially available.

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula which is a mixture of all of their single purpose additives. It includes chemicals to stabilize the fuel, clean the injectors and pump(s), an algicide (important for you), water emulisifier, cetane booster, anti-gel additive for winter use and most important, extra lubricant for the pump. Low sulphur fuels suffer in this area.

Stanadyne is a pump manufacturer and has developed this line of products to offer longer life and dependable service.

You can get it online for around $6 a bottle which treats 60 gallons. I added two bottles the first time to my 95 landyacht wide body and add a bottle every time I fill up (60 gallons or so). Adding more does not hurt anything but the manufacturers website says it will not enhance the capabilities.

I maintain a fleet of large Cummins generators and buy this stuff in 5 gallon pales for use onsite. This product has never failed with some of our tanks storing a large amount of fuel for several years before being emptied and refilled.

I highly recommend this product. One thing you will immediately notice is the reduced black smoke on high load. The whole thing seems to run cleaner.

I have to ask how you improved the exterior appearance of your coach. Looks nice. Did you paint it? Mine is highly oxidized as it was my parents and sat in a storage lot in Fort Pierce for the last 4 years. I have used every product I can find including Policoat with no success.

Ed
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Airstream Shine

Quote:
I have to ask how you improved the exterior appearance of your coach. Looks nice. Did you paint it? Mine is highly oxidized as it was my parents and sat in a storage lot in Fort Pierce for the last 4 years. I have used every product I can find including Policoat with no success.

Ed
Thanks Ed, I'll start looking for Stanadyne.
I buffed my coach about 3 years ago then waxed it with a Street Rod
product called "Cosmic Shine". It lasts well because I keep my Airstream inside when not traveling (100 nights a year on the road) Cosmic Shine is still around and is now called "Hot Flash" High Gloss Paint Polish. It's sold by a guy named Fred at Cars Show all over the country. He owns the name and markenting rights (private labeled) to it. I always though it acted a lot like glass wax, but I'm sure he added something. When he changed the name to Hot Flash it got creamier and less effective. I've heard he had complaints and has since gone back to the old formula.
www.hotflash.com or call Fred @ 813-654-4210.
The key to any polish is of course a smooth surface so the buffing helped
but I've used it on old cars and it will make anything shine. I have a 1934 Ford painted with lacquer in 1970 and it got all chaulky and dull and this stuff made people think I painted the car. Even when used in direct sunlight on a real hot surface it works like magic. It costs about $18 a bottle and goes a long way. It's color restoritive powers are amazing. Make sure you has for the old formula.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will second the Standyne. We have several diesel powered vehicles and all of them get it. The only possible exception is my 1996 F350. I can fill it up regularly with B-80 and it loves the stuff, but I still add the Standyne to it. B-80 has a lot of lubrication that is missing from the dino diesel.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Diesel Additives

Sorry, If you tried HotFlash.com for RV wax you found something else.
I mistyped it. I should be hotflashcarcare.com
Paul
Old 09-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Legacy Diesel
Rayne , Louisiana
no start

man i sure hope you busted that bad boy off till air pop at least once a weak
YACHTSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Interesting thread that started with talking about $5 per gal diesel in 2008.

As of January 2016, diesel in Montana is 1.79 gal!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
Interesting thread that started with talking about $5 per gal diesel in 2008.

As of January 2016, diesel in Montana is 1.79 gal!!
The justification for a fuel additive is not a function of the cost of fuel. It is more about the replacement cost of the high pressure pump, the injectors, and the reduction of water in fuel problems.

When the EPA caused the removal of the natural lubricating factors in diesel fuel the failure rates on these components went up. Pump replacements start in the thousands and injector, per injector, in the hundreds. As they say pay me now or pay me later.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Seafoam Fuel additive is formulated for gasoline and diesel fuel.Keeps fuel from growing algae and keeps it fresh.I have been using it for many years in everything that burns fuel.Available at most auto parts stores.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Update to original post

After almost 7 years since my original post, I can now tell you the rest of the story.
I took the Forum's advice and used an additive for a long trip while towing our 1966 VW Bug. I don't know if the additive did anything to the diesel engine, but it was a disaster for the VW.
The additive caused the exhaust to blow out a clear glue like substance that stuck to the VW like stucco. Cleaners had no effect on this almost clear hard stucco that covered the entire car. *#%^&*!
I consulted some detail shops, that were of little help. Then, I finally decided to try a clay bar. It worked but what a job. Took me two days to clay bar the entire car to restore it's show finish.
Needless to say, I'm done with diesel additives. I burn the new diesel without any known problems and always put it away full.
However, for 2 chain saws, my brush mower, 2 weed eaters, motorcycle,
lawn mowers, leaf blower & pressure washer: I use Marine Sta-bil with non-ethenol gas. No sticky gummed up carburators.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I never used additives in the 99 in my signature. The injection pump was replaced at 360,000. The injectors are original at close to 580,000.
Since I use that truck so little now I put a biocide in it and also in my old backhoe. I am still not sure if these additives are snake oil or not.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I use them in every tank, now. At 210k.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Echo the Marine Sta-Bil for gasoline generators. Used to use SeaFoam and red Sta-Bil and after much hard starting and ultimately changing carbs every two years or so on a Onan2800s, since using Marine Sta-Nil have had fast easy starts and no carb problems for 3 years. Diesel, I use PM22 with each tank.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Diesel Fuel Additives

We have been using Seafoam for many years in everything from Lamborghini's to outboard motors.Never had trouble starting anything and I have left my boat sit for over a year with treated fuel.You are doing something wrong if you have trouble starting with Seafoam.
Cleans the fuel injection system at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We use power service in all our big trucks ,if going to be sitting for a while, never had any problems with alge, we call it black bugs.......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote