Old 11-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 31' Land Yacht
Newport , Oregon
Dead and Low Batteries

Coach has been in storage since first week of September, plugged in and masterswitch on, all lights etc off. Chassis battery a couple of years old, house battery's new last spring. Found the chassis battery dead, dead, dead. House battery indicator showed one battery full charge and second about 3/4 charge. Unplugged and had to use the aux switch to start.
A couple of questions: I have had problems with ignition switch not completely disconnecting but am pretty sure it was this time. First steps in checking for drain to chassis battery? Does chassis battery charge from house charger? Why would house battery show low? With unit plugged in I would have thought any drain would be through converter and battery's fully charged.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think you are dealing with 2 different problems. Remove the ground wire on the chassis battery and charge the coach batteries over night. Remove the ground wire on both coach batteries and test them with a volt meter. They should both read the same voltage. If different you will have to replace both.

Now while the chassis battery ground wire is still off charge it over night with a battery charger. Test it with a meter. Should be over 12.5 after one night.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As Howie said, in addition although not familiar with AS MHs, the standard in SOB, which we have uses deep cycle batteries. They can go down to zero and be brought back, but as Howie said charge them up and if that does not bring them to equal you need to invest in two new ones. Walmarts etc will last about a year. You can try Trojans which is what we used in one of the businesses I was involved in. Their deep cycle 6 - 8 and 12 volts seemed to be pretty good products. Almost all deep cycles are inferior to what they were years ago, lead being the main reason, less lead in them today, $$$
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 31' Land Yacht
Newport , Oregon
Thank you both for insight, I will try this weekend. I am not sure the battery brand only that they were replaced just prior to my buying the coach.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Replaced is an interesting word. Matched set is what need.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

1964 19' Globetrotter
1956 22' Safari
1972 31' Sovereign
New Mountain , Texas
Batteries

Bought Matched set of Wally Worlds Best had problems with them going down? Like to drove me nuts until I figured out one of the new Batteries had a bad cell. Wally replaced it but did not leave me with a wonderful glow....
I am staying with Optimas from now on!
What is with the rivet numbers? Guess I am newbie? I have owned many AS.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post
Bought Matched set of Wally Worlds Best had problems with them going down? Like to drove me nuts until I figured out one of the new Batteries had a bad cell. Wally replaced it but did not leave me with a wonderful glow....
I am staying with Optimas from now on!
What is with the rivet numbers? Guess I am newbie? I have owned many AS.
Just means that your a "Newbie" on this forum. Depends on your posting history.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
[QUOTE=dateem;1539152]Coach has been in storage since first week of September, plugged in and masterswitch on, all lights etc off....

Plugged in still uses small amounts for sensors but should be fully charged house batteries.

Chassis battery a couple of years old...

Chassis dead not unusual, many things can be discharging, and it doesn't get charged from house, at least the way mine is wired.

I like to disconnect house batteries at the battery with a disconnect switch and plug in a trickle charger, but they do evaporate the acid so after a couple of months it would be a good idea to check the fluid levels.

A trickle charger on the start battery takes care of the minor discharges between use.

My house batteries are connected together so always show equal charge, like posted above you have a problem battery or it's connection, did the installer just drop them in or did they actually clean the terminals before installing, were they equal when new?
Old 11-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Unhappy Disconnect switches do not disconnect all!

In the 2005 that I have the disconnect switches ( 1 for house, 2 for chassiss) located by the door do not disconnect everything. The little solar panel on the roof will still trickle charge the house batteries so that is OK.
But I do not believe that the chassis battery is trickle charged by this same solar panel. With the chassis battery disconnect switch set to off, the dash panel is cut off from power but the engine will still start up and run as normal. So chassis battery can still run down if there if a phanton leak somewhere.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Batteries

I had the problem until I left the coach plugged in all the time. Now my batteries are 6 years old and doing well. (I do clean connections and check/add water at least annually and when I use the coach. the last two years I've added a Bayer Asprin in each cell with the water. (Old car lot trick I'd heard about)
My cut off blades did not save my batteries before I decided to leave it plugged in.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Replaced is an interesting word. Matched set is what need.
Matched set? No such thing as matched set: you can have the same brand and same battery group number ie, 24,27 etc. or voltage 6,8,12. Matched is very misleading.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
You have 2 different issues sounds like. Has their been a weather change such as turning really cold. Chassis battery are charged from alternator when vehicle is running.Temperature change is the worst enemy on batteries. Was the chassis battery a 24, 36 month battery? Whatever the manufacturer says on the warranty I have found over the years is for the most part the useful life of the battery. ( Yes before I hear all the stories there are exceptions so no need for the 6 year story on a 36 month battery, those are the EXCEPTIONS). Weather change will cause cells to go dead which in turn cause a battery to not hold it's charge. Charge your chassis battery on a slow charge for 24 hours and then do a load test and see if it holds. If it does make sure you don't have a drain on the electrical system. If it doesn't pass the load test then replace chassis battery.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 31' Land Yacht
Newport , Oregon
Thanks to all for the input. I have been doing some checking on the problem and seems it is a combination of several factors. Weather has turned colder here on the coast so that is undoubtedly a part. I cannot determine age of chasis battery but suspect it is several years old. I am surmising that it has been borderline and while weather was warm and kept fully charged from frequent use all was ok. There is undoubtedly some discharge with minor systems that take it down. The house batteries are dated 7/12. If I use the aux switch to boost the chassis battery one house battery shows as reduced charge for a short time but then recovers. Today I checked voltage on batteries. And found the house batteries at 13.5 each. The chassis was at 3! After charging it came up to 13. Tried to start the coach and only got clicking. Checked volts and found 9. So off to buy a new battery tomorrow. I went ahead and installed a battery maintainer so it will be ready to go. Will replace the house batteries next spring so that I have known quantities and confidence.