Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Dash AC Repairs - Lesson Learned

After almost 4 years of ownership I have finally gotten my dash AC working as designed. It never cooled properly, especially in traffic or at slow speeds, made weird noises, and many times would not blow out of the dash vents, only the defrost.

After meeting a wonderful gentleman who was a retired diesel mechanic, he tested a few things on my AC and this is what we found:

1. The weird noise I would hear was the vacuum pump mounted on the firewall in front of the driver. It had a loose ground wire and one of the rubber hoses was leaking. Fixed both and it solved the air flow problem directing air to the dash vents.

2. It had plenty of Freon and would cool somewhat while maintaining a steady speed. After checking many of the wires and fuses, we found the electric fan on the condenser coil was not working. When wired direct the fan would operate normally but had a bad sensor on the coolant line.

3. Found the compressor fan switch from Acme Air Parts on their website. Switch was easy to replace. $57 plus shipping.

After these somewhat simple repairs were made, it now operates like new. Took it on a 50 mile R/T in Florida that included city traffic and a heavy afternoon shower. Works like a charm.

Anyone needing AC parts I recommend checking this website:

Acmeairparts.com

Richard Brackenbury
Sales Manager
913-515-1560
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My dash a/c was nice and warm. Of course I found this when we had a short but warm temperature drive to a weekend stay, was probably >90 in the cab. For some reason my wife decided to follow me in the toad instead of riding along! After returning I started to hunt around and found a vacuum line that travels across the entire hoodline to a vacuum operator on the HVAC right side: it crumbled when I touched it! So far it only needed a new line, so I;m wondering what will be next!