Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If you have a crack in the corner of a skylight, or leak anywhere else on that roof, the water may travel down the roof to sidewall joint and drip out at the front or rear cap. Sure is an annoying task looking for leaks that may not show up for hours after a rainfall.

Dave

Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Agreed that the leak may be from any area upstream. The corner round has rivets that can leak as well and all the water will channel to the lower end of the corner round or down the wall. You may want to use a garden hose to isolate where the water is coming in from. Section off areas and soak them for a while. Wait for a couple hours, or until you see water entering, until you go on to the next section. Just an FYI... There's a metal beam just above the seam between the headliner and the rest of the ceiling. That beam could very well channel water to the location that it's leaking. From the damage it looks like the water is coming out aft of the headliner.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
the only place I have a question is around the skylight that's closer to the back of the airstream I wonder if water to channel from the sky light in the bathroom all the way up to there
Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
If the law of gravity is not broken then, yes, water can travel the full length of your unit.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
the only place I have a question is around the skylight that's closer to the back of the airstream I wonder if water to channel from the sky light in the bathroom all the way up to there
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Don't foreget about the forward AC unit too. It can be a source of a leak. Look for any roof penetrations near the area even if it's on the road side (Horn mounts, Antenna).

My guess is it's still there near where the roof/endcap seam and the awning come together. From the last pictures it looks like there is a gap between the metal molding and the end cap seam that is still open. If it were me, I'd remove that molding piece and reseal under it.

I had an awning rivet come loose and cause a small leak so inspect them as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Don't foreget about the forward AC unit too. It can be a source of a leak. Look for any roof penetrations near the area even if it's on the road side (Horn mounts, Antenna).

My guess is it's still there near where the roof/endcap seam and the awning come together. From the last pictures it looks like there is a gap between the metal molding and the end cap seam that is still open. If it were me, I'd remove that molding piece and reseal under it.

I had an awning rivet come loose and cause a small leak so inspect them as well.
The water is coming from the ceiling and the ceiling is higher than that gap. My sky light is on the same side over the shower, I was thinking as I applied the eternabond around the sky light that I should remove the sky light and reseal it. I think that may be where the water is coming from.I think it maybe running all the way to the front as that is the way my mh is parked sloping to the front. How hard is it to remove the eturnabond and the old caulking to get the fiberglass clean to install a new skylight?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I'd spray down the area around the skylight with water to verify your theory before going to all the trouble of removing the skylight. If you applied the Eternabond correctly around the skylight I think it unlikely that it is the source of your problem. How long does it take to see the leak after it rains?

As for how to remove the Eternabond tape, the best way I've found is to use an Xacto knife and slowly peel back the tape while cutting the adhesive as close to the surface as possible. Adding heat helps as well, but I'd be concerned about melting the skylight since it does take a fair amount of heat to de-bond the tape. Once you've removed as much of the tape as possible I then use acetone to remove the adhesive residue.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
there are places around the sky lit that I don't believe the eturnabond stuck to the old adhesive caulk. I had though I would need to replace it at a later date when I Sealed it in for the winter
Old 12-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Looks like a newer AC unit was installed. I would check the seal around that. Its the next closest penetration to your leak, also double check all your eternabond edges in that area. FYI the January issue of MotorHome mag. has a step by step article on AC removal.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
Looks like a newer AC unit was installed. I would check the seal around that. Its the next closest penetration to your leak, also double check all your eternabond edges in that area. FYI the January issue of MotorHome mag. has a step by step article on AC removal.
I took a look at the front ac and it is dry and no water stains. I have it all covered up till the weather get better. Any help on where to get a replacement skylight and the best way to seal one in would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Had our out in the rain today, no leaks. Tomorrow we get snow and think maybe we should head for Florida for a few weeks. Now I sorry I disabled the dash heater!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Now I find the bathroom fan/vent leaking at the roof. the one I sealed down with eturnabond. I just ordered a new fantastic fan. I hope there are no more leaks.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #27
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I wish I had bought this thing in the summer, these problems would have been so much easier.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Sure it would be easier but at least you are finding them! I hang out in my old leaky trailer in the rain and melting snow looking for the not so obvious leaks. I have a pretty good idea of ALL that needs to be sealed. Once this 20+ inches of snow melts and the temps come up I'll be lost on the roof for a while. It will take some doing to remove all of the old adhesives and goos that have been used previously.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote