Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Kill the LED rope lights already!!!!!

We've been 2x this year and both times our neighbor put out the rope lights....all night.
We came home and cut some card-board to go over the windows.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Last time our camping we were in a nice, dark campground ... except for the couple in the “Predator” trailer, who ran their big and bright exterior lights (plural!) all night.

I was looking for a chance to get an eyeful of the Milky Way but couldn’t get past the LED assault.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
1957 18' Wanderer
Marfa , Everywhere
This issue also makes me see red. I keep asking my partner "what are they afraid of?" Recently, while staying in my sister-in-law's driveway in Cape Cod, the folks who were renting the house next door left the exterior lights on all night. They were shining directly into my bedroom all week. I struck up a conversation with the gentleman on the morning of his departure and I asked him why he kept the lights on all night and he said "oh, I didn't realize they were on all night. I'm so sorry, did they bother you?" I have since decided that from now on, if a camper parked near me leaves their lights on all night I'm going to leave a note that explains the "dark sky community" concept, and ask them to keep it dark. I'll be nice. I mean, how hard is it to switch on the light if you need it? Forgive me for going on and on, but I'm out here for the dark and quiet. Right now camped at Charlestown SP (Indiana) outside Louisville, Kentucky, and the place is almost empty. Dark and Quiet. Ahhh.

PS I confess to accidentally leaving my exterior light on a few times myself. Also: I cut Reflectix inserts for my bedroom windows, and it goes a long way to keeping the bedroom dark in the face of some very bright light, whether its from the moon or intrusive campground lights..... Happy Trails to all of you.
57Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Wanderer View Post
PS I confess to accidentally leaving my exterior light on a few times myself
We usually string up some Christmas lights on the awning, some that have cute little trailers on them.

One time I left them on overnight by mistake. Didn't realize until later, when I saw (thanks to another camper!) how much light Christmas lights throw off in a dark campground, that I probably was a nuisance, especially to the tent campers.

So we are careful now to keep it dark.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Can't control the neighbors but it may help to control where you camp. My wife makes all the campground selections and is really picky so when she calls, she asks for a spot that meets her requirements. Granted, some places are very accommodating, some not so much and even then, once we're there, we've asked for better spots. In every case, owners have been great to meet our needs except once at a KOA. The guy must have had a really bad day cause he felt insulted that we weren't happy camping in a muddy hole!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
This is just what some people do, some are starving for attention, some think its cute, some are sacred of the dark and most have NO consideration for others. Should be campground rule like excessive noise. 10pm to 7am, no outside lights on unless emergency.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
Sojourner69

1969 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I too am annoyed by those exterior lights and agree that people must be afraid of the dark. Keep mice out? Mice are nocturnal but not photophobic! Seal up the trailer and put those silly rope lights in the trash. Before LEDs those weren't even possible and I don't recall people being overrun by mice.
Sojourner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #28
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Not certain which forum to post this in, but since we own a LYG MH I'll post it here. We are parked in a KOA in northern Michigan for the summer while building a lake home nearby.

I got a burr in my saddle. What is it with some people and their external lights?

In the evening when most people are trying to wind down and enjoy the outdoors by the campfire I notice some people have their bright external lights on. One site had an LED palm tree outside. Others had LED rope lights in all kinds of places, on the inside or outside edges of their awnings, underneath and outlining their units. Some just have BRIGHT porch lights that light up virtually everything in their path. They aren't outside and all lights inside are off. They leave them on all night. Especially the nice bright ones like LED strips.

Now I could understand if camping in some ghetto campground and you feel the need to feel more secure. But out in a $60 plus per night otherwise dark and quiet northern Michigan campground why feel the need to blast your neighbors with light?
My goodness, give it a break.

Other people in the park have just as much right to turn their lights on is you have to turn your lights off, if you’ve got a problem with that leave the park or contact the management of the park and if they don’t care it’s their property then just leave but don’t waste peoples time on a forum complaining whether it’s reasonable or not to complain, this is why there are 3000 post on a single forum
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
My friend Pete would remind you that a KOA, a trailer or an RV any kind is NOT camping.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Tom Steinhag, welcome to the AirForums.

As a newer poster here you might be used to participating in other forums.

On AirForums we welcome people's sound, odd or unusual opinions and find amusement in the threads.

And yes we start a lot of threads. OTRA kindly find's the duplicate threads and links them.

Yes he has the rights to turn his lights off and the other guy has the rights to leave his on. Equally so, each one of them has the right to gripe it about it hear and you and I added our useless banter to the mix.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I see you are in Michigan.

https://www.michigan.org/article/tri...azing-michigan
This article mentions a couple of places with light restrictions.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
I like the idea of having "lights off" added to the quiet hours. And would gladly unplug my mice lights! I think those are more useful when the TT is parked with no use for awhile.

And thank you for the reminder that this is a civil website. There's enough strife in this world--the ability to read and air different points of view without giving in or being subjected to the anger virus is such a nice thing. It can be done. It's a simple choice to be respectful.

Namaste!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lights ar on for security. Yours and mine. Lots of cg out there.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Absolutely agree! Pull the plug and turn them all off!

It is one thing to have your awning lights on while sitting out (or stumbling around), but all night, while sleeping??
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:26 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
Smile

At a KOA or most State Parks, the "lots" are 30', maybe 35' wide, other campers on either side and also behind us, adjacent, and across the road. Who knows why, but a lot of people like to decorate their campsites with gigantic rugs that kill what little grass is there, picket fences, potted plants, flags of every kind and color, tables, chairs, shelters, signs, flamingos, and LIGHTS.

There's also dogs barking at anything that moves, kids yelling, riding their bikes too fast, and throwing stuff everywhere, and music playing. People are hosting parties, burning wood, laughing, talking, eating with their mouths open, and the omnipresent thump, thump, thump of beanbags hitting square plywood drums day and night.

However, if my neighbors are in the dark at their campfire, and I don't need my lights on, I'll turn them off - and they're off when I turn in.
But if you can't get beyond this and relax, and enjoy this "camping community" for what it is, stay home where you can be alone in the dark, or find somewhere else to go. I would prefer a dark, quiet, wooded campsite with full 50 amp, water, and sewer hook-up too, but I usually end up at a campground instead! If I see you there, I'll be sure to smile and say , "Hello!"
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
We have a LED light string over our door and under our canopy.
The color and brightness are adjustable. When we are chillin on our front porch, we set the mood with the color and intensity.

When it is bed time we set it to minimum intensity and a color to reduce insect attraction.

This allows people wandering through our camp to not trip on our gear or "accidentally" walk away with something that is not theirs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindBud.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	324063  
Old 09-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #37
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Such a grouchy bunch. I recommend standing out by your trailer and shaking your fist while yelling, "Hey you kids, turn off those lights and pick up those rugs!"

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote