Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Lake Tahoe Airstream Club

2002 25' Safari
2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Minden , Nevada
Dangerous Onan generator issue

Thought I'd pass along a generator issue that happened to us while traveling recently. Onan 5.5 HGJAB generator has been run and regularly exercised since it was new. On this trip, we ran it for about 2 hrs with the AC on, turned it off, then went to turn it back on. It would not stay running. Husband checked the genny and found a small gas leak around the fuel filter. No more generator till we could get it fixed!

When we got to where we could go to a place specializing in Onan, talked with the guy there and he said that the leaking fuel filter is a "known issue" with Onan, and this filter is actually a second filter and has been replaced with a metal fitting. We bought the fitting, husband installed it, and all is well with generator now. The scary part was the tech saying that Onan knew about this and that they knew that it is a fire danger, which was pretty obvious with the gas leak.

What I don't get is why Onan didn't issue a recall on this generator. Family member is original owner of this motorhome (bought new in Oct. 2002) and has never received anything from either Airstream or Onan about it. Anyway, if you have this model, check it out!
linda7915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My 2000 onan has had problems, but fuel leak hasn't been one of them, where is your fuel filter located? My filter is up front just below the carb and easy to see.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Lake Tahoe Airstream Club

2002 25' Safari
2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Minden , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
My 2000 onan has had problems, but fuel leak hasn't been one of them, where is your fuel filter located? My filter is up front just below the carb and easy to see.
If it's the same model (and maybe year, not sure), that filter is actually a second one, according the the Onan place we went to, and it has been replaced with a metal fitting. Not sure where the other filter is located. That filter in ours was actually leaking just a very little up next to where it connects to the carb.
linda7915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I have a filter in the line from the gas tank, and that one was leaking. It took a while to search it out: it was not leaking enough to drip, just enough to smell. Replaced, but the gen will only run for 20 to 60 minutes then shuts off, regardless of load. It may need a knowledgeable person to find and fix.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Make sure the oil level is correct. Low oil level will cause shutdown.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Make sure the oil level is correct. Low oil level will cause shutdown.
Low fuel in main tank will stop at about 1/4 tank.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote