Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #41
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
Daniel, I switched my front air bags over to coil springs. I think they handle the MH front weight better resulting in a more stable ride .
Gloran,

Good to know. Can you provide additional information?
Manufacturer
Part Number
Estimated Cost to Purchase

Did you install the coil springs yourself?
Or, have the task performed at a shop?
If yourself, can you share the work steps, tips, lessons learned?

Thank you,

Daniel
cesalie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #42
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Looking good! I gotta start polishing and waxing mine too. Too much overtime and too much rain going on over here right now. Anyhow, you might want to get a 50amp to 30 amp converter if you don't have one already. We were at a campground just a quick overnight while headed to our destination and they only had 50 amp spots available. We were glad the previous owner left that among a lot of other helpful items. I've also gotten some good ideas from RV Geeks on YouTube lately. I liked his demonstration of how to correctly flush the black tank. Keep it up!
AdamB,

Many thanks for the compliment. Working a little each day to improve "Katy's" appearance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wax 2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	156717

Appreciate the tip on the 50 amp to 30 amp converter. Purchased 50 to 30 amp as well as 30 amp to 15. May never either, but I am covered.

Daniel
Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Great buy, like mine, just a little more than tlc but once you fix it, it will be easier next time, or if you improve it, it will not need to be fixed again.
Nice to know even with the extensive list done, you are able to use in relatively short time.
See you down the road,
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #44
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Great buy, like mine, just a little more than tlc but once you fix it, it will be easier next time, or if you improve it, it will not need to be fixed again.
Nice to know even with the extensive list done, you are able to use in relatively short time.
See you down the road,
Dave
Dave,

Thank you.

I finally understand the attraction of travelling to new places. My wife is a "gypsy" (had wanderlust since age 10) and being married to me all these years has kept her tied down to just a couple of locations. (& she doesn't like it one bit!).

Luckily, I fell in Love with her at age 11 and we have been together ever since. She will be retiring at the end of this year, I still have a couple of years remaining. Our plan for the remainder of this year is to hit the road at least two weekends per month and four 1 week trips. Am already chomping at the bit to start the next trip (1st weekend of May).

We will be teaming up with a local couple (1983 Airstream Classic Moho) and are actively recruiting our friends with motorhomes (4 currently, all P30 Chassis Class A Moho's) to join us in our adventures! My wifes enthusiasm is contagious! Current plan is to visit Crowley's Ridge State Park in NE Arkansas.

I hope to meet many of the forum members over the next few months & years.

Daniel
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Daniel,
The name of the company that makes the coil springs I used is "SuperSteer"
Their website is www.supersteersuperstop.com
The part numer that fit my coach was SS265 with a weight range from 5300 to 5950 lbs. Front end of my coach weighs 5600 lbs, yours is probably close to that but you'd need to have the front weighed prior to ordering. The parts were $319.00 back in 2008. Camping World did the installation, but the springs come with step by step installation instructions if you have the tools and jacks to do the job - which I didn't. They charged $214.00 to install. Hope this helps.
Randy

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #46
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Daniel,
The name of the company that makes the coil springs I used is "SuperSteer"
Their website is www.supersteersuperstop.com
The part numer that fit my coach was SS265 with a weight range from 5300 to 5950 lbs. Front end of my coach weighs 5600 lbs, yours is probably close to that but you'd need to have the front weighed prior to ordering. The parts were $319.00 back in 2008. Camping World did the installation, but the springs come with step by step installation instructions if you have the tools and jacks to do the job - which I didn't. They charged $214.00 to install. Hope this helps.
Randy

Randy,

Thank you, for sharing the information with me. Luckily, the nearest Camping World is 2-1/2 hours away in Little Rock, AR. Will plan a trip there in the next 2-3 weeks to get a current estimate.

Daniel
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #47
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
A little more progress with the Wax and Buff job...4 more feet and the passenger side is complete.

Name:	1995 Land Yacht Wax On 5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	156811

Daniel
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #48
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Is anyone thinking of attending the Sams Rally in Louisville, KY June 21-24, 2012?

Based on Randy's suggestion of Supersteer Coil Springs to replace my failed airbag, reviewed the Henderson site and noticed they will be onsite to perform RPA (Road Performance Analysis, Repairs, etc...). May be a good idea to have the suspension restored and upgraded.

Daniel
Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Daniel,

What products are you using for the 'wax & buff', and what do you think of it? Anything different on the paint vs. gelcoat?
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #50
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG
Daniel,

What products are you using for the 'wax & buff', and what do you think of it? Anything different on the paint vs. gelcoat?
Rag,

My son gave me a buffer and a can of Meguiars Wax. As Katy's finish was pretty dull and chalky, I thought it couldn't hurt. Scrubbed her with a brush, Dawn dish soap and water. Once dry, started waxing in the middle and kept going. I waxed and buffed for only 30 minutes per day.

For the most part, the dull and chalky has been rendered a little shine and smooth to the touch. There are some areas that didn't do as well. The front in particular. It feels a little smother to the touch but barely reflects a shine. Only waxed the passenger half of the front. Will take a photo of the contrast and post later today.

No work is scheduled for Katy today. The "boss" has asked me to take everything out of the garage, purchase and install shelving. Tomorrow we get to sort thru our stuff and organize into totes. She wants all her gardening tools moved to the front so she doesn't have to wade through all my tools. It's only a couple of roll-around tool boxes honey...!

Daniel
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Daniel, I used a product called Turbo cut made by Wizard auto products. Its a three step system, the Turbo Cut gave me such a good shine I skipped second step and went to the final step which is a polish. I figured going over the MH twice was quite enough. As you no doubt are finding out,the coach seems to grow once you start this project. The Turbo Cut did remove all the cloudy haze though, back to the gel coat. This product worked real well for me.
Randy

Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Waxed 1/2 of the "hood", note the contrast

Name:	Wax 2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	157017

Hope to start on drivers side today.

Daniel
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #53
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2 View Post
Waxed 1/2 of the "hood", note the contrast

Attachment 157017

Hope to start on drivers side today.

Daniel

Attached wrong photo

Name:	Copy of photo.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	157018
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #54
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Daniel, I used a product called Turbo cut made by Wizard auto products. Its a three step system, the Turbo Cut gave me such a good shine I skipped second step and went to the final step which is a polish. I figured going over the MH twice was quite enough. As you no doubt are finding out,the coach seems to grow once you start this project. The Turbo Cut did remove all the cloudy haze though, back to the gel coat. This product worked real well for me.
Randy
Gloran,

Turbo cut sounds interesting, as I have pretty much used up the gift can of Meguiars from my son, will see if my local auto stores carry it.

I have learned first hand, my coach feels much bigger when I am buffing...

Daniel
Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #55
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
DW and I are planning a short trip this weekend with five of our grandchildren...this should be interesting.

Departing Friday afternoon for MS, Wallace Creek Park.

I typically cook on a small Weber Propane Grill (uses 1 LB Bottles) for just the two of us. As I will be cooking for 13 on Saturday, wanted to find a portable propane grill that could be stored in the basement yet grill a lot meat.

Luckily, DW and I were at Sams Club and found this little jewel:

Name:   Sportsmans SS Grill from Sams Clug.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  39.4 KB

I am looking forward to grilling Saturday evening...

Daniel
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
The grill looks similar to a holland grill, what kind is it?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #57
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
The grill looks similar to a holland grill, what kind is it?
Gloran,

The nameplate reads - Sportsman. Purchased at Sam's Club.
The "legs" are removable and the unit fits nicely in the basement compartment by the Main Door.

I cooked on it all weekend and it performed well. Utilizes a 20 LB Propane Tank. Placed Grill on one end of a picnic table and the tank under the table. Grill will hold 9 (each) 1/2 Lb Burgers at one time. Fed the kids Black Angus Burgers & Nathan Hotdogs. The "big kids" (us hungry adults) enjoyed T-Bone Steak, Baked Potatoes, Corn on the cob, Green Beans...yummm.

For dessert, baked an Apple Pie, served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.

Name:	Propane Camp Oven.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	157632

Sunday morning, we cooked the "big breakfast", biscuits-n-gravy, home fried potatoes with peppers and onions, eggs and cheese.

Our next adventure will be Blanchard Springs Caverns in June.

Daniel
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Nice looking units, cooking usually for only the two of us, we have had the Grill-To-Go model portable grill. It's worked out well for us, because of its size it stores well in the MH. Will get a chance to use this week as we'll be headed north to Traverse City Mi. this Thursday thru the weekend, it will be nice to get away for a few days, hope the weather will cooperate, its been a little on the cool and windy side here.
Randy

Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #59
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Randy,

Traverse City sounds like a fun extended weekend. I hope you have a fun and rewarding trip.

We have 10 grandchildren and try to split our RV time between Georgia and the Tennessee families. Occasionally, we plan a getaway for ourselves. DW loves caves and wanted to visit Blanchard Springs Caverns but have already scheduled a trip to Georgia the 3rd week in May. Taking our 5 grandchildren from Atlanta to Ellijay for the week.

Trip to Blanchard Springs, AR is the third week of June. DW wants to take the 4 hour spelunking tour. Will squeeze in a weekend the first week of June.

Daniel
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #60
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Mission: had the grand kids for the weekend and with all the coming in-and-out and swimming, carpet was looking a little rough.

Pulled out the Little Green Machine shampooer from its cubby under the bed and started in the bedroom. Noticed a peculiar smell while down on the floor. After sniffing throughout the cabin, identified the smell as ammonia and traced its origin to the refrigerator.

Went online to Google and entered "Rv Refrigerator Ammonia Smell". Read a lot of postings from the different forums and they all pretty much pointed to the "cooling unit". Some posters replaced the refrigerator, some only the cooling unit. Some replaced themselves, some farmed out the job. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Fortunately, there are 2 cooling unit remanufacturers within 2-1/2 hours of me as well as a Camping World if I elect to purchase a new refrigerator.

Will make my decision by Friday, am buying a cooling unit or refrigerator on Saturday.

More to come...

Daniel