Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #113
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill
Glad a you are home. Good luck with the install. Keep us posted about the AC and your recuperation,
BarnacleBill,

Thank you, sir.

Hired Town and Country Mobile RV repair to perform the AC removal and install, found them on the Internet and read several complimentary reviews. They completed the job in about 1 hour and charged $155.15...priceless. They attached a line to the new unit and 1 person pushed it up the ladder, the other pulled on the line. My best friend was on hand to observe and ensure the unit blew hot and cold.

As for me, I watched from the window and marveled at their efficiency.

Hopefully, I will be up and around in the next 6-8 weeks. Have regular PT and walk with the aid of a walker (about 30 minutes, 3X a day).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #114
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL

Thought about you before I started washing up on the roof yesterday, put down a leveling jack to stabilize, reminded myself I don't need to get near the edge while using long handle brush, used both hands on ladder to come over edge.

I thought about the work safety line someone mentioned but couldn't see how it could be rigged without being in the way Spouse insisted on a safety line when I used to go up the mast on our sailboat, problem with it was second person had to operate it but it never got in the way. On the MH 30 ft from rear to front with many objects to step around and using care with each footstep, 10 ft to ground, so safety line would have to be short. I'm thinking about a jackline(cable) permanently attached, from ladder to front center of roof line. Clip short safety line on to jackline at top of ladder before getting on roof and unclip after getting both feet on ladder and a couple of steps down. Has anybody installed a jackline from ladder to front a/c of motorhome?
DaveFL,

Goad to hear all went well.

hope everyone exercises great caution when on the roof,

Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #115
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Wink Dads folly - Jackline

Not aware of anyone having installed line - however I think it would be a good idea. The only thing I can see that I would recommend, would be a couple of rings etc with the jackline passing through them, down the roofline to keep the line from deflecting too much if ever actually needed (slip and fall etc) The securing of the line this way would also help prevent the line from "drumming" on the roof when underway. Just a thought
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #116

1976 31' Excella 500
chelsea , Oklahoma
hey - we so enjoyed reading of your adventures!! but - were sooooo sorry to read of your accident!! hope your wife was there with you when it happened! get well soon
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #117
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoon
hey - we so enjoyed reading of your adventures!! but - were sooooo sorry to read of your accident!! hope your wife was there with you when it happened! get well soon
Silver spoon,

Wife was at work, luckily son and best friend were present. Son rushed me to hospital and wife joined me shortly after arrival. She stayed by my side for the next 7 days. She is definitely amazing and I have the privilege of being in love with her since I was 11. Happy to be home and recuperating, 23 days since accident...

If I am able, wife will take me on a short adventure to the 3rd Annual Arkansas Hot Air Balloon Festival on Halloween weekend. Reservations were made several months ago and I would love to get out. Best friend & wife, my children and grandkids will join us. Note: wife likes the idea of being in charge this trip as I will be a happy passenger...

Hope to be on the road again shortly after the new year.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #118
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Update

Saturday 06OCT12, 4 weeks have elapsed since my accident. I am happy to share that I am now using a cane and no longer require the walker. DW, grand daughter and I walked around the block. It was so nice to get out of the house (cabin fever?)!

Saw orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday, he removed 2 of the 5 pins and will remove a 3rd on 10OCT12. Progress is slow but steady...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #119
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Hang in there...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #120
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Update,
Saturday 13OCT12, 5 weeks have elapsed since the accident. I no longer need the cane and can walk about 1 mile, though I am required to still wear the TLSO Brace when I am upright. Ortho Surgeon removed another pin from my wrist (only 2 to go).

Started getting ready for our trip to the Hot Air Balloon Festival next weekend. Following the departure checklist but am only able to check a few items each day...

More to come
Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Glad to hear your improving. The human body is amazing on how it can heal itself, just slower than we want as we get older. Looks like you will be in good enough shape for your trip, so enjoy.
Randy

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #122
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Good to hear you are doing better and enjoy the Hot Air Balloon Festival!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #123
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Randy, Bill;

Thank you!

DW took me shopping and treated me to a Sushi Lunch today. Had some awesome sushi rolls and my favorite lunch Pork Tonkatsu!
After being cooped up for five weeks, it was great to be out and about.

Found some great sales and elected to purchase some Christmas presents for the kids and grandchildren.

Stopped by the Apple Store and got hooked on the Mac Mini. Am toying with the idea of installing Mac Mini, 2 TB External Hard Drive and wireless access point/router in the Airstream to act as a "movie jukebox" for all my kids & grandkids iPads, iPods, iPhones, etc...(will go a long way in reducing the "how much longer" & " are we there yet?"...).

Altogether, was on my feet for about 5 hours.

When we got home, replacement PC power supply was waiting on the porch. Took about an hour to install and our home "movie jukebox" is back online.

Tired from today's activities...need to take a nap...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Roof A/C

Replaced one of ours two years ago and used the ladder for a slide, worked fine until my wife grabbed two live wires!
I didn't fall off but I know I won't bounce like we once did. Somehow that switch that alternates between the two A/C's is live in more ways than I understand.
We're both OK, but one of us has no faith in the others electrical ability.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #125
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Update
Six weeks have gone by since the accident. Happy to report the two remaining pins in my wrist have been removed. Am walking a mile each day and have PT twice a week. Progress is never as fast as I desire but impatience landed me here in the first place.

Looking forward to our upcoming trip to Arkansas this Friday. Departure checklist completed this afternoon.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #126
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

So much to be thankful for, family, friends, health.
Enjoy today with your loved ones.

Daniel