Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #85
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2
On our recent outing I noticed several of the RV's had Portable Ice Makers. Essentially plug into outlet add 1 gallon of water and voila...ice cubes. Like the Energizer Bunny, the ice maker kept pumping out 9 cubes every 9 minutes.

Checked online and there are several manufacturers...
If you have one, what is the Brand Name and would you recommend to others?

Daniel
DW surprised me with a portable ice maker in preparation of our upcoming trip to Reelfoot Lake, TN.
The manufacturer is Emerson, she purchased at the local Target Superstore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-678393702.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	162004

Cleaned the machine iaw the mfg instructions and let it run all night. Checked the small storage bin and it worked as anticipated, ice!

Daniel

Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #86
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Trip to Reelfoot Lake, TN was fun.

DW and I left Friday afternoon for the 2 hour trip up north. The campground was ok but a bit pricey $25.00 night for what you received.

If you love fishing, this is the place for you.

Glad we went on the trip but do not plan to return.

On a side note, Dyersberg, TN has a Burk's Outlet in the local mall. We purchased some heavily discounted clothes for the grandchildren.

Daniel

Old 07-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #87
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
DW and I decided to get away for the weekend at a nearby state park.

Wanted to travel to Eureka Springs, AR but unfortunately the IT department is migrating our mainframe to Colorado. As a result, I have to report in Sunday morning at 0230 hours for post-migration testing. So, we will be staying at a campground about 30 minutes away.

If the testing is completed I should be back in the RV by 0600.

Daniel
Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #88
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Arrived friday afternoon and setup camp.

DW drove up after work and we enjoyed the sunset on the Mississippi River.

Prepared dinner;

Flank steak marinated in soy sauce, orange juice, brown sugar and fresh ginger. Garlic mashed potatoes in a thyme cream sauce. Asparagus and hollandaise...(after all, we're not savages).

A nice quiet evening with the wife.

Saturday, we took a guided boat tour...DW loved it.

I had to work Saturday evening and did not return to the campground until 0630 hours. Slept a couple of hours and we enjoyed the hiking trails.

Arrived home safely and started planning our next little trip.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #89
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Last week I ordered a replacement front air bag suspension kit from Camping World. Arrived Wednesday afternoon.

Dear daughter and grandchildren were visiting this week so dad has to wait until Saturday morning to install.
Reviewed the instructions and searched the forum for advice (once again, thank you for sharing your invaluable tips).

Chocked the rear wheels
Disconnected the battery negative terminal
Jacked the coach and placed jack stands to support the front
Disconnected the air lines from the engine compartment
Cut all the cable ties securing the lines
Removed the 9/16 nut securing the clamp on the "A" arms
Removed air line from air bag
Used Sawzall to cut up the old bags
Vice Grips to pull out all the pieces
Removed upper and lower air bag support discs
Used round file to smooth up the air bag openings in the "A" arms

Heated a large pot of water to boiling
Took outside to RV and placed the air bags to soak
After 15 minutes, rolled up air bag to release air and capped
Rolled up air bag lengthwise in order to squeeze into opening
Made up Dawn Dish Soap Solution and doused the opening
Worked the air bag into the spring through the opening
Slipped upper and lower air bag support discs into position
Repeated on other side

Installed new airline
Clamped lines on "A" arm bolt with supplied nuts
Wire tied the lines
Inflated both air bags to 55 psi
Use soap solution to check for leaks

I was very fortunate and did not encounter any issues. Did read that some diy'ers experienced difficulties.

Waited 3 hours and re-checked air pressure, still 55 psi ( yippee!)

Will check again tomorrow morning.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #90
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
What happened the pictures?

Let me remind you that Hugh Hefner would never have succeeded without using pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Not sure how to proceed...

Taking the DW on a weekend getaway.
Performed PRE-departure check and noticed "Service Engine Soon" light.

Read OBD1 codes - 15, engine coolant sensor low circuit low or open. Had the same trouble code about 4-6 weeks and traced problem to an engine coolant sensor. Replaced the sensor and all was well (for the last 6 weeks). Removed sensor and tested with ohm-meter, sensor within specs.

Re-installed sensor, cleared code from ECM and started engine. While cold, all was well. When the engine was warm, it began to run roughly and black exhaust. Engine died and was very difficult to restart. Had to fully depress accelerator pedal and hold for the engine to restart.

Shut everything down, retrieved codes...yep #15. Searched the forum and began to compile as much information I could locate on the TBI system, troubleshooting, etc...

Performed the following resistance and voltage checks on the Fuel Pump Relay, Oil Pressure Sensor, ECS, MAP, TPS, IAC, VVS...all checked out. Scratched my head for a long time...

Waited until engine cooled down, hooked up the voltmeter to the ECS signal voltage line from the ECM. Started engine and monitored voltage until achieving operating temperature.

90 degree OAT
Engine cooled
Voltage: 5.0 v (key on, engine off)
Engine Running: 3.2v

110 degrees
Voltage 2.7v

140 degrees
Voltage 2.3v

180 degrees
Voltage 1.5v

As soon as the engine reached operating temp, it ran rough, surged, black smoke, etc...Voltage read 5V. Turned off engine and reviewed my notes,,,

Resistance Tested ECS, within specs

Okay, now we are on to something. Somehow the system "thinks" the engine is cold (although fully warmed up) and is running too rich.

A bit of overkill, but changed ECS with new tested (in a pan of hot water) unit. Started engine and same situation.

On a whim, I added a potentiometer to the ECS feed (from ECM). Started engine and adjusted resistance until voltage was 1v. Engine ran as it should, no SES light, no codes..

Reviewed schematics and believe the issue may be the 350 ohm resistor in the ECM. Not sure how to proceed, have to seek wise counsel.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
What was the resistance of the POT when voltage was set to 1V? Did you connect the POT to the sensor side of the harness or the ECM side? Could be an internal issue with the Engine Control Module and the line goes open or high resistance but the POT would not have corrected the situation unless the POT resistance was much lower then normal for the sensor. The 5v reading on the sensor line looks like an open on the sensor or lines going to the sensor.

Since you have a second sensor you might want to try plugging it in and heating up the sensor in a pan of very hot water to see if the ECM voltage drops as it should with the engine running. If not, then the issue is upstream from the sensor.

The problem may also be low fluid in the coolant system. I've seen situations where the sensor is no longer immersed in coolant and will read cold even though the engine is actually overheating.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2 View Post
Last week I ordered a replacement front air bag suspension kit from Camping World. Arrived Wednesday afternoon............................
Thank you for the awsome description.

How much was the kit?

We have a 2005 LYG with one good and one flat airbag. I recently deflated the good one and plan to drive it that way for a while cuz I'm not sure I can detect any difference.

The way you wrote it up it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to replace them.

Did you have to remove the springs to do the job?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #94
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander

Thank you for the awsome description.

How much was the kit?

We have a 2005 LYG with one good and one flat airbag. I recently deflated the good one and plan to drive it that way for a while cuz I'm not sure I can detect any difference.

The way you wrote it up it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to replace them.

Did you have to remove the springs to do the job?
Michigander,

Air Bags were about $82 (free shipping special offer).

I felt a difference in with a deflated passenger air bag. The suspension would hit the "stops" on bumps. With new airbags, the ride is more comfortable.

Note: replacement air bags are only a temporary measure for me. Am saving my pennies to purchase Henderson Super Springs which eliminate the need for air bags (suggested by Forum member "Gloran". Henderson offers quite a few heavy duty suspension components.

Replacement procedure for air bags was culled from many sources on the forum and internet.

The first bag took several hours to fit into the small opening. Used soap and water solution at first, switched to grease. Only after I heated the bag in hot water was I able to twist up the bag and work into opening. The second tool about 35-40 minutes.

Did not have to remove springs. I am leary of the compressed force of the spring.

If I was unsuccessful with the air bag installation, my backup plan was to purchase the Super Springs and have Camping World install them (as suggested by Gloran).

Good luck
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
cesalie2,

Thank you for your response. I will keep you posted on how our MH drives without bags.

Did I read in another thread that you're going to Burning Man next week?

If so, have a wonderful time!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
What ever happened to your code 15?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #97
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
92landyacht,

Sorry, have been tied up with work and grand kids for the last couple of weeks and not much time to check the forum.

Q: What was the resistance of the POT when voltage was set to 1V?
A: about 190 ohms

Q: Did you connect the POT to the sensor side of the harness or the ECM side?
A: Yellow wire (ECM side)

Q: Could be an internal issue with the Engine Control Module and the line goes open or high resistance but the POT would not have corrected the situation unless the POT resistance was much lower then normal for the sensor.
A: Pot is rated at 500 ohms.

Q: The 5v reading on the sensor line looks like an open on the sensor or lines going to the sensor.
A: while it may appear to be an open, inserting the Pot cured the symptoms (rough running, excessive black exhaust, hard to start when engine is warm, etc...). I don't know why...

Purchased a book on Amazon - "How to Tune and Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection". Followed the Code 15 Troubleshooting Steps and was able to narrow the problem down to an open yellow wire or defective ECM. As the POT appeared to resolve the issue, I ran an additional check, ran a jumper wire from the ECM terminal to the yellow wire at the sensor (to eliminate yellow wire as the culprit) bypassing the Pot. Started engine and experienced original issues. Reinserted Pot and symptoms went away.
Wish I knew more about electronics in order to offer an explanation. My next step is to find a working ECM from a 1994 P30 chassis (with a 454).

Q: Since you have a second sensor you might want to try plugging it in and heating up the sensor in a pan of very hot water to see if the ECM voltage drops as it should with the engine running. If not, then the issue is upstream from the sensor.
A: good suggestion, I performed the test (Pot removed) with the 2nd sensor and a bowl of boiling water. Same symptoms ( checked resistance at 180 degrees = 250 ohms). Added Pot and symptoms cleared up.

Q: The problem may also be low fluid in the coolant system. I've seen situations where the sensor is no longer immersed in coolant and will read cold even though the engine is actually overheating.
A: coolant level indicated full at the tank. Waited until engine cooled and removed sensor. As coolant flowed out of the opening, I assume the level was adequate.

Q: What happened to your code 15?
A: still running Pot while searching for a replacement ECM.

Has anyone removed the ECM from under the dash?
I've looked and have not figured out how it is attached.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #98
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
ON THE ROAD AGAIN...

Travelled to Mountain View, AR right in the middle of "Isaac".
Luckily, the winds were about 5-10 mph and rained all the way there. The trip took about 3 1/2 hours (2 lane country roads...the scenic route - saw mostly rain, rain and more rain.

Friday we went sight seeing, really pretty country.

Saturday we went on both the Dripstone & Discovery Tours of Blanchard Springs caverns, truly amazing!
Will post pictures later today.