Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #57
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
The grill looks similar to a holland grill, what kind is it?
Gloran,

The nameplate reads - Sportsman. Purchased at Sam's Club.
The "legs" are removable and the unit fits nicely in the basement compartment by the Main Door.

I cooked on it all weekend and it performed well. Utilizes a 20 LB Propane Tank. Placed Grill on one end of a picnic table and the tank under the table. Grill will hold 9 (each) 1/2 Lb Burgers at one time. Fed the kids Black Angus Burgers & Nathan Hotdogs. The "big kids" (us hungry adults) enjoyed T-Bone Steak, Baked Potatoes, Corn on the cob, Green Beans...yummm.

For dessert, baked an Apple Pie, served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane Camp Oven.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	157632

Sunday morning, we cooked the "big breakfast", biscuits-n-gravy, home fried potatoes with peppers and onions, eggs and cheese.

Our next adventure will be Blanchard Springs Caverns in June.

Daniel

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Nice looking units, cooking usually for only the two of us, we have had the Grill-To-Go model portable grill. It's worked out well for us, because of its size it stores well in the MH. Will get a chance to use this week as we'll be headed north to Traverse City Mi. this Thursday thru the weekend, it will be nice to get away for a few days, hope the weather will cooperate, its been a little on the cool and windy side here.
Randy

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #59
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Randy,

Traverse City sounds like a fun extended weekend. I hope you have a fun and rewarding trip.

We have 10 grandchildren and try to split our RV time between Georgia and the Tennessee families. Occasionally, we plan a getaway for ourselves. DW loves caves and wanted to visit Blanchard Springs Caverns but have already scheduled a trip to Georgia the 3rd week in May. Taking our 5 grandchildren from Atlanta to Ellijay for the week.

Trip to Blanchard Springs, AR is the third week of June. DW wants to take the 4 hour spelunking tour. Will squeeze in a weekend the first week of June.

Daniel
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #60
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Mission: had the grand kids for the weekend and with all the coming in-and-out and swimming, carpet was looking a little rough.

Pulled out the Little Green Machine shampooer from its cubby under the bed and started in the bedroom. Noticed a peculiar smell while down on the floor. After sniffing throughout the cabin, identified the smell as ammonia and traced its origin to the refrigerator.

Went online to Google and entered "Rv Refrigerator Ammonia Smell". Read a lot of postings from the different forums and they all pretty much pointed to the "cooling unit". Some posters replaced the refrigerator, some only the cooling unit. Some replaced themselves, some farmed out the job. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Fortunately, there are 2 cooling unit remanufacturers within 2-1/2 hours of me as well as a Camping World if I elect to purchase a new refrigerator.

Will make my decision by Friday, am buying a cooling unit or refrigerator on Saturday.

More to come...

Daniel
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Fire hazzard!!!

Check into this quickly as there have been numerous fires associated with Dometic recalled refrigerators due to ammonia leaks.

You can log onto Dometic's recall web site and check to see if yours is one of the recalled units. No matter what you find there you need to get this unit out of your RV as soon as possible.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #62
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2
Mission: had the grand kids for the weekend and with all the coming in-and-out and swimming, carpet was looking a little rough.

Pulled out the Little Green Machine shampooer from its cubby under the bed and started in the bedroom. Noticed a peculiar smell while down on the floor. After sniffing throughout the cabin, identified the smell as ammonia and traced its origin to the refrigerator.

Went online to Google and entered "Rv Refrigerator Ammonia Smell". Read a lot of postings from the different forums and they all pretty much pointed to the "cooling unit". Some posters replaced the refrigerator, some only the cooling unit. Some replaced themselves, some farmed out the job. I am trying to decide which way to go.

Fortunately, there are 2 cooling unit remanufacturers within 2-1/2 hours of me as well as a Camping World if I elect to purchase a new refrigerator.

Will make my decision by Friday, am buying a cooling unit or refrigerator on Saturday.

More to come...

Daniel
Daniel,

I replaced the core on a Dometic Model RM3804 when my cooling unit failed. I purchased the unit from Pines RV Refrigeration, 901-337-9948. I lucked out and the coil was on sale for around $250 - $300 dollar range vs a new refrig for $1200 - $1500. It took about 4 hours, most of the time was the removal of the fridge from the cabinet. The new cooling unit went in quick and the instructions were easy to follow. This install was in a 1990 Excella, April, 2009. The refer is working better than it did when I purchased the trailer.

Good Luck,

Bill
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #63
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Smile Refrigerator Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
Daniel,

I replaced the core on a Dometic Model RM3804 when my cooling unit failed. I purchased the unit from Pines RV Refrigeration, 901-337-9948. I lucked out and the coil was on sale for around $250 - $300 dollar range vs a new refrig for $1200 - $1500. It took about 4 hours, most of the time was the removal of the fridge from the cabinet. The new cooling unit went in quick and the instructions were easy to follow. This install was in a 1990 Excella, April, 2009. The refer is working better than it did when I purchased the trailer.

Good Luck,

Bill
Bill,

Thank you for the tip! Will give them a call.

Daniel
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #64
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Ordered the cooling unit, hopefully it will arrive before our planned departure Friday 18MAY12.

Will remove the refrigerator Saturday morning in preparation for the replacement cooling unit. I was able to find several You Tube videos demonstrating removal, replacement and re-installation of the refrigerator.

I will take photos to document the process for future reference.

Daniel
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #65
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Cooling Unit Replacement - External Connections

Awaiting arrival of cooling unit.

Reviewed forum advice and YouTube Videos, so decided to perform a little advance prep work.

Shut off Propane at Tank
Lit Stove Top to burn off residual propane in the lines.

External Connections
- Removed Outside Access Panel

Name:	Frig 1.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	158337

Pulled Power Cord from 120V Receptacle

Name:	Frig 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	158338

Disconnect Propane Supply Line

Name:	Frig 3.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	158339

Removed bolt securing Right Side of Refrigerator

Name:	Frig 4.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	158340

Removed bolt securing Left Side of Refrigerator

Name:	Frig 5.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	158341

Disconnected 12 volt power lines

Name:	Frig 6.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	158342

Capped 12 volt power lines

Name:	Frig 7.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	158343

More to come...

Daniel
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #66
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Cooling Unit Replacement - Internal

Remove four (4) screws from the Refrigerator Interior that secure to unit to the coach.

Name:	Frig 8.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	158358

Name:	Frig 9.JPG
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	158359

Name:	Frig 10.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158360

Name:	Frig 11.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	158361

Remove the four (4) rubber protectors from the bottom of the cooling plate:

Name:	Frig 12.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	158362

Remove the four (4) screws & nuts that retain the cooling plate in the freezer:

Name:	Frig 14.JPG
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	158364

Remove the Refrigerator Plate Screws (3 each)

Name:	Frig 15.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	158365

Gently pull the probe covering away from the refrigerator cooling plate

Name:	Frig 16.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	158366

Probe Covering

Place a small stool in front of the refrigerator. Gently rock the refrigerator from side to side until is removed from the cabinet.

In my case, I was able to lower the dinette table, laid out the cushions and covered with a blanket to protect the cushions and the front of the refrigerator. I lowered the refrigerator to the cushions in order to access the rear of the cooling unit.

More to come...

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frig 13.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	158363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig 17.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	158367  

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #67
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Replace Cooling Unit - Remove from back of Frig

The saga continues...

Remove obvious parts such as burner assemblies, heat elements etc.
There are several screws around the cooling unit frame that require removal. Disconnect the various electrical connectors that are running around the tubing.

Name:	Frig 20.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	158447

Use a pry bar under the "big tube", (#7) in the graphic below, will usually do the job. The "big tube" is the only pipe that should be pried on.

Name:   Frig 21.gif
Views: 157
Size:  11.4 KB

Since you will be prying against the refrigerator body, a board or some other protection is necessary between the pry bar and the refrigerator to prevent poking a hole in the box. This is usually enough to pull a cooling unit, but not always. If yours is stubborn, peel up the edges of the aluminum backing paper to expose a line between the foam of the cooling unit head and the insulating foam of the refrigerator box. If the cooling unit has already been replaced before, the backing may be a piece of sheetmetal instead of paper. With some effort, the sheetmetal can be removed and slid out from the cooling unit.

I had to run a knife around the of the cooling unit and box (about 4" deep) and pryed to finally remove the unit.

When the cooling unit is out, remove fin assembly by prying off the cooling unit head.

Pull the baffle from the cooling unit chimney and remove any other parts from the unit. These parts will be transferred to the replacement cooling unit.

Today, I will thoroughly scour the interior of the refrigerator and freezer compartments and wire brush the shelving (looking a little corroded).

More to come when I receive the replacement cooling unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frig 18.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	158445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig 19.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	158446  

Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #68
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
So, what is your Toad?

While visiting daughter in Atlanta, wife decided to test drive a 2012 Smart Car. A couple of hours later she informs me we now have a Toad...
Appears the Blue Ox base plates will be installed tomorrow and she will be returning on Thursday.

More to come...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #69
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Returned from trip to Georgia, Thursday evening. Really enjoyed the time with the grandchildren.

Friday morning, installed the replacement cooling unit in preparation for afternoon departure. It took about two hours to complete the replacement and install the refrigerator. Delay was due to a bracket on the replacement unit that was not on the original. The bracket had to be modified to accommodate the existing burner unit.

Wrapped up installation by 1100 hours. Shopped for food, provisioned the coach and was on the road by 1330.

Spent the Memorial Day Weekend by the Mississippi River. Every day was beautiful (although hot 92-95). A nice breeze each day and a marvelous shade tree, enabled us to enjoy the campground with the kids.

Daniel
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #70
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Memphis , Tennessee
Cooling Unit Update

Happy to report the replacement cooling unit performed as I had hoped.
Freezer made ice cubes and the Frig kept everything cold.

Have to return the old unit in order to get the "core" deposit credited to my card. Will reuse the original box and the seller provided the return label.

Daniel