Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #1

2000 31' Land Yacht
cincinnati , Ohio
Compressor noise?

first post, tia for suggestions...

Last month or so, I am hearing a noise/hum coming from driver side front. Doesn't matter if the coach is running or not, plugged into shore power or not. It comes on, runs a few minutes and then stops.

My son says it sounds like a compressor - I didn't know I had one!
(I was told I'd never use the 'air dump' toggle switch on the dash when I bought this 10 years ago.)

Have not found anything 'not working' yet, although I am guessing this will cause battery drain and really isn't supposed to be happening.

Questions: What could this noise be and possible fixes. worst case scenario? resources? (my son is handy but doesn't have much experience with rv - with directions he's willing to try)

Look forward to your comments.
okwaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by okwaterdog View Post
first post, tia for suggestions...

Last month or so, I am hearing a noise/hum coming from driver side front. Doesn't matter if the coach is running or not, plugged into shore power or not. It comes on, runs a few minutes and then stops.

My son says it sounds like a compressor - I didn't know I had one!
(I was told I'd never use the 'air dump' toggle switch on the dash when I bought this 10 years ago.)

Have not found anything 'not working' yet, although I am guessing this will cause battery drain and really isn't supposed to be happening.

Questions: What could this noise be and possible fixes. worst case scenario? resources? (my son is handy but doesn't have much experience with rv - with directions he's willing to try)

Look forward to your comments.
You have a "leveling system" on your motorhome.

It operator on air, therefore what you hear is a compressor.

Airstream usually mounted the compressor in the generator compartment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If it is cycling on and off over a period of time it sounds like you have a leak in the system.

First spray the jacks with a solution of Simple Green, 1 to 5 ratio water to Green, and watch for bubbles. Simple Green will support very small bubble and those detect a very small leak.

If the jacks check out OK try around the pump and tank if so equipped and then you will have to work you way along to air lines spraying and looking.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There is a second reason the system would turn on many times.

There is a "check valve" in the air supply from the compressor.

They have a habit of sticking open. That allows the air to bleed back thru the compressor, which will make the compressor cycle on again.

That check valve is a small brass device that can be anywhere in the air supply line.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Do you have an air horn? possible leak like Andy mentions, but mine has hydraulic levelers so figure you would too and they only activate on command, while electric airhorns could be wired to operate anytime rather than just when the key is on.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote