Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Little Britain , Ontario
Coach Battery #1 and #2 Question 2002 Land Yacht

2002 Land Yacht 30" Stopped for 3 days with no plug-in power.
Ok the first day but by the 2nd day the monitor panel (over the stove)indicated Battery #1 full charge but battery #2 was showing 1/2 charge. By the second day Battery#2 was pretty much depleted and battery #1 showing a full charge??? At this point I tried starting the Generator. Just grunted. Day threethe cabin lights were dim. In looking at the schematic the chassis batteries are running in parallel. If one battery shows a full charge then it should feed the demand until it too discharges?
Got on the road and 4 hours later both batteries were fully charged and the benerator would turn over. These are deep cyle battieries that I installed new two years ago.
Any thoughts?
RVtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
There are two sets of battery banks on most coaches.
Typically one bank is for the chassis and one bank if for the coach. Lights, Generator starter and all 12V appliances run off the coach battery while the chassis battery is for engine start, headlights and such. The alternator will charge both sets. My guess is that your “battery 1” is the chassis battery and “battery 2” is coach.

On my 92 LY there is a switch that ties the two banks together in case of emergency to start the engine. I'm sure that you have one as well. It's marked AUX on my coach and is a rocker switch on the dash.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Little Britain , Ontario
Actually have three batteries. one is chassis and the other two are the huge deep cycle ones. After I posted this I got thinking something is not right with what I was saying. So I turned on all the coach lights and not five minutes later battery 2 showed as almost depleted. Disconnected the battery and tried to charge it says full charge but as soon as I put a load on it it's dead. Looks like I got a defective two year old battery that cost $125.00. Will try and get a credit from were I purchased it but not holding my breath. When they did the work they didn't bother cleaning the connectors.
Thanks. Tom
RVtomtom is offline   Reply With Quote