Old 08-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

1995 33' Land Yacht
MISCOUCHE , Prince Edward Island
Unhappy coach batteries not charging

HI,,,i have a 1995 AIRSTREAM LANDYATCH 33' only time coach batteries will charge is when motorhome is runnig ,,,doesn't charge with generator or when plugged in ???

Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I would check to see if you have a fuse on the converter first. My upgraded converter has a blade fuse on the unit, I cant remember how the original converter was fused. Check all the simple things first though, fuses, connections, ground wire coming off the converter (there should be a dedicated ground wire coming off your converter to the frame, check conections at both ends.)

Mike

Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

1995 33' Land Yacht
MISCOUCHE , Prince Edward Island
coach batteries not charging

HI MIKE
Well i've checked all fuses ,connectionsand i've search everywhere for the convertor but can't find it thought somebody on here might know where it is...

ROBERT
Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I think they are hidden pretty good on those Land Yachts. Try googling: "airforums 1995 land yacht converter" and you'll get better search results than using the search function here.
When you have the unit plugged in to shore power all your 12volt systems should be working off the converter.....is this the case? Lighting, vent fans, etc etc.. If everything works when youre plugged into shore power then your converter should be working. Use a tester when you are plugged into shore power and test your coach battery posts. You should be reading over 13 volts. If youre not, then youve got a converter problem. (Or a connection problem between the converter and your batteries). Keep checking, youll find it. Do the google search as mentioned and you will find the location of your converter I bet.

Mike
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNYBOB View Post
HI,,,i have a 1995 AIRSTREAM LANDYATCH 33' only time coach batteries will charge is when motorhome is runnig ,,,doesn't charge with generator or when plugged in ???
May be that the battery is so far gone that it will not take a charge from the converter when plugged into shore power. I have the same thing happening to my scamp, checked all fuses and whatnots and nothing. I have a appt with an RV shop Tues. 18th. I`ll let you know what they find. Carl
Old 08-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Behind the panel below dash in front of the passenger seat is where the converter is located in my 93 LY.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Well it could be the batteries but the OP stated that they charge through the alternator/isolator so I guess Im assuming they will take a charge.....doesnt mean they will hold a charge though. Id get the multimeter out and test what the voltage is at the batteries with the coach plugged into shore power. See if the converter is putting out the correct voltage. If its not then work backwards from the the batteries to the converter and see whats what, fuses, connections, make sure the converter hasnt come unplugged, make sure the outlet its plugged into is good, check the breakers in the 110 main panel and make sure the breaker to the converter outlet is turned on. Gotta start somewhere. Wouldnt hurt to take the batteries out and have them tested, especially if theyve been discharged. But, if the converter is working properly, you shouldnt even need the batteries when plugged into shore power.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
gitano

1997 33' Land Yacht
Livingston , Texas
A little late, but I had what sounds like the same problem. The batteries would charge if I drove the coach or just ran the motor. I found two issues. One was the converter and the other was the battery disconnect switch. There was a third problem too, but I don't want to talk about it.

The converter was set to only charge at 13.2 volts. It was an old Todd Engineering 45 amp unit with a jumper that set the output level. I replaced it, even though it might have eventually charged the batteries.

The disconnect switch was a mystery to me until I was in the RV when it was quiet and I decided, out of boredom, to move the switch. I could hear the relay the switch controls. I then watched the voltage level and discovered that in one position, the level was around 14.5 volts. That meant that the new converter (a PD9200) was charging. It eventually charged the batteries and the converter output dropped to the maintenance level.

I also spent a lot of time looking for the old converter. I found it by accident when I noticed that my wife had kicked the panel in front of the passenger seat. The panel is only wedged in place (a long time ago it was bolted down). Guess that is part of the adventure of an older RV.

Hope you have already solved your charging problem and this is just an interesting story.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
pol
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Seattle , Washington
Lightbulb Battery disconnect switch?

Is the battery disconnect switch the same as the dock switch? My 95 LY dock switch has mystified me from the git-go. When I am on shore power everything works. Disconnected (house batteries indicate 13.5v), the test panal is dark. With engine running the test panal is ok. Last year a similar situation was related to the position of the dock switch - today it makes no difference. When disconnected from shore power the test panal is dark (batteries charged).

The question, again, is - are the battery disconnect and dock switches the same, and if not where is the battery disconnect switch.

Also dealing with a generator that just clicks when activated. It has always started. I am following a lead that says to access the flywheel and move it a bit because they sometimes come to rest at a dead spot. I will report results.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
The disconnect switch is located by the side entry & is used to keep small draws from killing your house batteries when not in use. As for the generator put your meter on the starter & try to start it. If voltage drops way down you have a battery or voltage supply problem. If it doesn't you may have a bad starter or solenoid. It pays to always start w/a meter.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pol View Post

The question, again, is - are the battery disconnect and dock switches the same, and if not where is the battery disconnect switch.
I have battery disconnect switches by the roadside entry door. one for the coach batteries and one for the engine battery.

I have a "dock" switch on the dash to control the outside docking lights (remember you are piloting a Land Yacht) when parking at night.

Woody