Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Antioch , California
Chassis on a 1995 Diesel LY

My question pertains to the OshKosh and Freightliner switch-over in this model year. I understand that Freightliner bought OshKosh in 1995. I've seen two of these 1995 diesel pusher LY's, each with the different chassis manufacturer logo on the steering wheel hub.

Was it just a matter of labeling -- after the acquisition, with the chassis actually being the same?

If not -- what are the differences? Are they both "air-ride", for instance?

Any comments or assistance is appreciated.

Michael
mycall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Michael:
Take the chassis serial number to Freightliner and you will know who built it. The actual changeover happened in early 1996 as far as I know.
These are "CUSTOM CHASSIS" and could be ordered with any option, air or air over hydraulic, disc or drum brakes, spring or air suspension. Never assume one unit is similar to another. There may have been some "use up what's left on the shop floor" before the actual change over. Probably the most notable change to look at was the dash layout.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycall57 View Post
My question pertains to the OshKosh and Freightliner switch-over in this model year. I understand that Freightliner bought OshKosh in 1995. I've seen two of these 1995 diesel pusher LY's, each with the different chassis manufacturer logo on the steering wheel hub.

Was it just a matter of labeling -- after the acquisition, with the chassis actually being the same?

If not -- what are the differences? Are they both "air-ride", for instance?

Any comments or assistance is appreciated.

Michael
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
This, on the left, will be the Freightliner dash. The Oshkosh used individual gauges.
Dave

Quote:
Michael
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Antioch , California
So-- it is a Oshkosh on the local Coach

Thanks for the pic. That confirms the one I'm considering, that is local -- has the Oshkosh chassis. Can anyone point me to a site that lists the standard configuration Airstream used for the Diesel 35 LY in 1995 --when building on a Oshkosh chassis?

I understand there were custom options. I'm just trying to determine where the advantages of the Freightliner chassis factor in, as that Coach is out of State.

Thanks, for the comments.

Michael
mycall57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Bfred posted this info a few years back.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...del-69773.html
I have cut and pasted what I think applies to your request. Looks like brakes on the 95 were air over hydraulic???? and in 96 Freightliner had Air Brakes?
Be sure to do your on-site homework as no one can tell you today what was or was not on those units. Airstream MH records for the time period prior to 98 are hard to come by. Just about every MH unit produced was different.

Below--LY means last year, and FY means first year used or produced.
Dave
----------------------------------------------
95 Classic
230 Cummins DSL
36’ on Spartan Chassis
Tires (Spare)
Automatic Leveling Jacks
Rear TV monitor, Skylight
6 way power driver/passenger seat
Pleated day/night shades, Oak Galley Floor
10’4” ext. height, Corian galley
Porcelain sink, 6.5 LP generator,
6 gal water htr., 80 gallons fuel
8 cu.ft. refrig w. Ice maker
79” headroom

Optional
Gel-Cel batteries
Alum wheels
Full Leather seating
Oven, 50 Amp service
5w. or 53w. Solar panel

95 Land Yacht-35’ Oshkosh Chassis LY
230 DSL-Cummins w. Allison MD3060, Shirt closet w. adjust shelving, First Wide Body, Cedar wardrobe, 6.5 kW LP gen., 80” interior hgt. Wood floor in galley, cassette 4 speaker, Prewire cell phone, Corian galley top, Air over hydraulic brakes LY, CB radio, undercoated, Computer controlled automatic leveling jacks LY, Skylight/shade, Marble lavatory top, heated holding tanks, Water purifier , Rear view TV monitor,
6 Gal Wtr heater w. DSI, 10’9” Ext height, Powered Leather Trim Driver/Pass seat, Fantastic Fan
Tires(spare) Michelin 225/70 19.5

Optional: 50 Amp service, Washer/Dryer
Awning, Spotlight, Aluminum Wheels,
Dinette w. 2 chairs, Patio awning
Ceramic Tile in bath, oven.

96 Land Yacht-Freightliner Chassis FY
35’
Tires(spare) 225/70 19.5
Air brakes FY, 80” interior height
Lever Controlled leveling jacks FY
8 cu ft refrig w. ice maker
9 “ bedroom TV, LY

Optional
Solar Panels, AM/FM CD player
Computer controlled Automatic Leveling Jacks,
7 kW generator, oven
50 Amp service, electric cord reel
Patio awning LY
=========================================

Quote:
Thanks for the pic. That confirms the one I'm considering, that is local -- has the Oshkosh chassis. Can anyone point me to a site that lists the standard configuration Airstream used for the Diesel 35 LY in 1995 --when building on a Oshkosh chassis?

I understand there were custom options. I'm just trying to determine where the advantages of the Freightliner chassis factor in, as that Coach is out of State.

Thanks, for the comments.

Michael

Tags
1995 land yacht, diesel pusher, land yacht