Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Ceiling Delamination

Noticed this past week while preping for early Summer trip that in couple of places the ceiling liner is bubling up (down) in a few places. It has come loose over the washer/dryer cabinet and above the passenger seat in front. I pulled it away from the ceiling trim moulding in the cabinet and it seems to have lost it's adhesive (all dried up). Has anyone re-glued these sheets of vinyl and do you have to remove the transverse trim pieces first. What is recommended procedure?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I'm running into this right now as a section of my vinyl headliner has fallen. You aren't going to be able to successfully re-glue it, because it's not the glue that's failed, it's the foam liner on the vinyl. The transverse vinyl strip piece seems to serve only to cover the edges of the vinyl sections. I haven't gotten into mine yet to see how these actually attach, but my guess is that they snap in place after the vinyl is applied. Basically, the old foam/glue will have to be removed from the subsurface, then new spray adhesive would be applied, followed by new foam-backed vinyl sheeting. With any luck, you can find some to match what you have in place. If I were you, I'd inspect all areas of the ceiling carefully now, and if there are any places that appear to be bubbling a little, I'd re-do those areas now. I figure it's better to go that route than to fix one area only to have another fail in another month or two and have the whole process to start over again.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Dave,
Yes , it does snap in.
I've seen them install the trim with a sm. rubber hammer.

Michael

PS, there is a long thread on this,
use the search function.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Ceiling delamination

Dave, Artlink,

Thanks and the previous threads can be found using "headliner" (duh) as search term. There is a four page discussion which goes into many different recommendations. I will try to bump it up to current status as it is a good review. Seems I will be putting mine up with screws.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
FIX for drooping ceiling

The original ceiling was vinyl with a foam backing that was glued to the ceiling boards and installed before any cabinets or accessories. The foam dried out and the vinly drooped.
On my previous Motor Home (a classic GMC) I took all the cabinets and accessories down and removed the old vinyl. Then I sanded off the old glue and made new vinyl panels, glued them to the boards and re-installed everything.

IT WAS A AWFUL JOB!
SO, when this happened in the "new" Airstream, I was smarter!!!
HERE IS THE FIX..
Go to the hardware store and buy a couple hundered white thumb tacks.
Yep, regular white thumb tacks.
Start with a dull table knife and make sure the vinyl ceiling material is tucked under the plastic edging strip. Then start with a pattern of thumb tacks across the ceiling, tacking the vinyl back to the ceiling board. I found about an 8" pattern worked great. As it spread throughout the coach, I thumb tacked it back in place and now have a beautiful "Diamon Tuffted Ceiling". You could pay a lot of money for such a fancy ceiling, but I spent $2.29 for 300 white thum tacks and fixed it forever.