Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Alexandria , Virginia
CB Radio issues & upgrade - suggestions?

We have one of those old hand held units - can't seem to get it to work. However, it comes on, adjusts channels and volume, squelch seems to work, but no reception. Maybe a bad antenna or connection thereto?

If I decide to replace the CB unit, what models and brands do you recommend? I have some extra space where the TV used to be in the dash, that I have replaced with a box for storage, GPS, phones, Ipod, etc. It has both 12v and 120v power outlets. Thanks, D&D.
ddgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
I think an external antenna is a must and there are a variety of these available.
Cobra seems to be a popular brand of CB radio and Wilson antennas are a good choice.

On one caravan trip, we tried to use the hand held GMRS/FRS radios and could only talk to others when rounding a bend otherwise the huge aluminum shields we were towing would block the signals.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
GMRS Radio

We have the 45km (28 mile) range models and they work great from the motorhome to anyone within 3 mile or more. My wife followed me thru Seattle to Vancouver Island, and communication was not a problem at any time, and I presume it would be even better out on the open country.
We never go shopping in the big box stores without them, as it saves a lot of time looking for each other. Handy to have in town or at the beach.
The CB is still great when travelling, as entertainment, and highway info.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Airstream25 is right, the most important part of any CB system is the antenna, which should be external. We also have an extra speaker plugged in to the jack on the radio that sure makes it a lot easier to hear. Any good truck stop will have lots of choices.John
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I put this mount in the truck bed on the driver's side: STAKE HOLE POCKET MOUNT. I installed a 3-foot antenna in the mount. I ran cable into the cab and under the seat. I use the external antenna on a Midland Micro-Portable CB Amazon.com: 75-822: Electronics. I wanted portable and mobile capabilities of the CB for caravanning. All told, I have $200 in this outfit and the transmission and reception range is fair. I'm sure my system could be tweeked but it's one way to solve the problem of having a CB on the road and around camp.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
CB on the Road

I use the Cobra 29 LXLE with the Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna and get great reception and it's got the Weather Station built in. No problems so far.
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote