Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

1998 31' Land Yacht
Carseland , Alberta
captains chairs

Hi! We are new owners of a 1998 31' airstream land yacht, lovely machine but the passenger seat seems loose. It is secure but wiggles about quite a bit, is there any schematics of the seat or does anyone know how to tighten the seat but still allow the seat to swivel.
Thanks.
Lou and Shirley
glassblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Congratulations! We have a 1995 30' Land Yacht. If your seat is like ours, there is a single nut you need to tighten under the center of the seat. We remove the passenger seat around Christmas to have a place for the Christmas tree. It works out great. The first year we had the seat out I found the nut and tightened it. That stooped the wiggling.

BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Bill, this nut you tightened. Do you have to remove seat, or can you tighten it in place from the bottom? And is it the nut that connects the seat to the base? Is your seat a Flexsteel? Mine is, and I called the factory about a wobbling problem they have. They were unaware of such a problem with their seats, were going to check further and call me back, they didn't. But at the time I was working on this project ,I couldn't find any adjustment for them. Both of mine wobble, drivers side is the worst. Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks Randy

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
After removing seat I discovered you could just reach up to the center and adjust the crown nut, but it does have a cotter pin so if it is locked in high you will have to remove cotter pin first and doing that by feel would be dificult.
I did this because the seat wouldn't swivel, now one finger will turn it after the lock is moved to unlock position.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dave, I don't have a problem with seat swivel , or adjustments,just wobbling while in locked position facing forward. But are you saying this same crown nut tightens down the seat as well? If I remenber correctly my sloppy movement was kinda between seat and sliding track that mounts onto the base.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Crown nut tightened down whole seat, only other wobble would be loose track or the 4 bolts in the floor. Easy to put your hand on base plate and see if it moves. if it does tighten the 4 nuts.
Seat is relatively easy to remove, take off 4 nuts on floor, lift about two inches over bolts and then you can lay on its back to see mechanisms. While on floor I found it easy to see and remove crown nut and work on mechanisms.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Went down to storage building to look at seats, mine being an older model 1993 must be a little different. I have four bolts that holds seat to slide track thats part of the base, then base has four bolts holding it down to the floor. I can lift seat off base by removing upper four nuts and tip back seat to get at large nut in center of base. I can't see how this could tighten down seat very much, because there is a warning sticker by nut not to over tighten ,can cause bearing damage to swivel. It appears the sloppy movement on my seats is from the cable lock that releases the seat and allows it to swivel. When seat is in the forward position, cable latch does not lock seat secure, it has alot of sloppy wobble movement. I can find no adjustment for tightening, thats why I contacted Flexsteel, who were of no help. The releases on my seats are built into the arm rests, right side end when lifted up allows seat to swivel ,left arm rest end when lifted allows seat to recline, reason for the cables and locking devices. If anyone has these kind of seats with this problem I'd like to hear from you.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Hi All

Randy,
I had the seat out when I tightened it but you could tighten the nut on this seat with out removing the seat from the floor. It is the nut that connects the seat to the base. I can not find any manufacturer identification on the seat. I will check when I pull it out again. The seat I am referring to is the passenger seat. The driver seat is a power operated seat and does not wobble.

DaveFL,
The seat we have does not have a cotter pin. I adjusted our seat because it wobbled and turned too easy. After tightening the nut the seat stopped wobbling and no longer spun around when “Scupper the Wonder Dog” jumped up on the seat to survey his domain.

Gloran,
I didn’t see a warning on our seat but if you tighten nut too much you cant turn the seat at all. Our seats have the same releases built into the arm rests, right side end when lifted up allows seat to swivel, left arm rest end when lifted allows seat to recline. I made an adjustment to the cable to make the swivel release work easer but I didn’t notice any wobbling related to this adjustment.

BTW… I notice on your sig “Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil Springs” are these mods you have added to your rig? I have thought about adding some of these items and would be interested in what you would advise.
Bill T
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Bill,
Yes, these are all additions I added. I think all of them have helped, but probably the main thing that has helped has been the Bell Cranks - the front steering was very loose when I bought the coach, the front Coil Springs - noticeable ride difference up front. I like the Banks, but it is a bit pricey, and I probably wouldn't have put it on, but the exhaust manifolds were warped and I would have had to replace or mill the existing ones anyway, so I went with the Banks headers.
Front stabilizer and the steer safe helps the stability in windy conditions.
Getting back to the seats, both of mine are power & both wobble, maybe I'll try tightening the nut a bit more. Thanks for the reply.
Randy

Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Randy, Thanks for the info on the additions you made to your rig.

Bill T