Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Brake Light fuse keeps blowing

I have a 36' Land Yacht with the tag axle and the fuse for the brake lights keep blowing. I have replaced several of the bulbs and sockets that were bad because of moisture problems. Now the fuse and every thing is find when the unit is seating still, but alittle while after driving my brake light fuse blows. I was wondering, does that mean that one or both of the electric brake soleniods is bad or possiblely the brake controller? Any ideas as to the possible source of my problem?

Thanks for the help.
BW_LandYacht36MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Blowing the fuse in motion sounds like wires moving and chafing and causing a short. Brake wiring goes from the fuse block to the brake light switch then thru the steering column. Wiring then goes through the firewall to the frame rail; uncoated clips were used to hold the harness to the rail in some models, these were a real problem. If you have a trailer plug check the connections and the plug, then it is inside to the lights.
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Found the problem, 74Argosy24MH was correct, the wires go through the firewall and then loop around and run down the side of the engine compartment. That is where I found the problem. Some of the wires were out of their plastic flexible conduit cover, one wire had been rubbing up against the AC compressor housing and had worn away the wire's insulation and would short out when it touched the AC compressor. So electrical tape over the worn spot, a piece of plastic conduit over the exposed wires and the a larger piece of plastic conduit over the entire cable bundle to be double safe.
Problem fixed.
BW_LandYacht36MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Glad it was a relatively easy (and cheap) fix for you.
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote