Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Black/grey Water Tank Gauge

Just dumped both tanks but the indicator shows 1/3 and 1/2 on the panel. Short of recalibrating is there something that can be done?

This is a recurring problem.

Thanks

Steve:

ASLY 2000 on 1999 P32
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Common problem caused by Toilet paper hanging on probe's.
You can try flushing with a special hose nozzle drown thru the toilet, also I filling the tank half full with fresh water, and driving might cleanse and dislodge the gunk.
Ultimate problem solver is retrofitting a updated probe like these from Horst:
Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs
Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Like almost everyone else, I too have sensor inaccuracy.
I try to follow this routine.
On the Clipper, we dump waste and fill fresh water at the same time/stop if possible.
I can then monitor the black tank with the flashlight down the hole, and the freshwater tank also with the flashlight and a mirror on a long handle. The fresh water tank is in the basement, up between the raised frame rails and with the mirror and light, the water level is easy to determine.
The Clipper is impossible to overload, so we run with 105 US gal. water full when leaving any campsite or our home base.
If the fresh water tank is getting low, we know the gray tank is getting full and its time to dump.
The gray water tank seems to be limiting factor on most RV's.
We have never been close on the black tank as it seems that most of the water goes to the gray. (depends on the tank capacities )
I have never seen where the sensor is on the grey tank on my unit. But if I ever have reason to access that area, I would like to update it to the Horst mentioned in the above post.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1049739]...I have never seen where the sensor is on the gray tank on my unit. But if I ever have reason to access that area, I would like to update it to the Horst mentioned in the above post.

Does anyone know how to access the sensors on the 1995 30' motor home?
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
The sensors on my 2005 are located just before the drain valves for both tanks. I had a similar problem with my grey tank and bought a replacement sensor & installed it. When I did the swap I found the orignial sensor was filled with stuff--I guess soap scum & other grey tank detritus. I probably could have cleaned it & reinstalled it but didn't bother because I had the new on in hand. New sensor=proper readings. The wire to the sensor attached with RJ-11 telephone type connector so its easy to disconnect. I suggest gloving up and removing the sensors when the tanks are empty & look for debris/clogging.