Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Battery drain

I have my battery drain narrowed down to a fuse, it says" furnace comp. Appliance lts. but pulling it only seems to power down the furnace. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I should have noted the amp draw. .6 to .8

Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
A fuse is just a thin piece of wire. I don't see how it can be a power drain. There's something else, like a transformer or light, that's causing a drain.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Ok, I narrowed the drain down to fuse 7 circuit. I wouldn't think the furnace is supose to draw any power when off. I looked to see if any cargo lights were on. they pull .6 amp
Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Try disconnecting the power wire to each furnace and see if the power drain goes away. I don't think there should be any significant drain from the furnace when the thermostat is turned off.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
could it be the thermostat?

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
Ok, I narrowed the drain down to fuse 7 circuit. I wouldn't think the furnace is supose to draw any power when off. I looked to see if any cargo lights were on. they pull .6 amp
If you have (or can get at the manufacturer's web site) the schematic for the furnace, I'd start at the fuse and trace the circuit for components. If there is any kind of transformer in that line it's possible that's where the drain is. I would think that a 12v furnace wouldn't require one, it's already stepped down. It might be in the circuit board but that would be difficult to test. You may have to take it to a professional.

Other than the power drain, is there anything wrong with the furnace's operation?

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
The thermostat is just a switch. If its a board I'll get one . I have been going thru the owners manual schematics trying to see if there is anything else on that circuit. I can't find any. I don't want to tear into the furnace just yet. I keep thinking there is a light on that I am missing.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
An overlooked light in a seldom used compartment is a good bet. The easiest way to find it is on a dark night, look everywhere. I've got one on my trailer over the dump valves that isn't obvious it's on in the day and can get covered with road mud so that it isn't particularly obvious at night either. A fluorescent light fixture with a bad bulb will still draw current if it's switched on. I'm sure you tested everything to find out what doesn't work when you pulled that fuse. Antenna amplifier, LPG detector (normally wired directly off battery)? As previously noted, disconnect the power feed at the furnace to rule it in or out as the culprit and go from there. On a previously owned rig there's no telling what the PO may have installed and simply tapped into an available 12v wire. On an otherwise untouched rig it may still have other devices besides the furnace on that circuit. By isolating it to a particular fused circuit, you're close to a solution.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Attachment 208203

I found this diagram, it may not be correct for your model furnace but is fairly representative of the Atwood line. You will see that the +12v line attaches to a terminal block at position 1. From there it feeds a switch. On my unit this switch is visible when the outside cover is opened and is in the lower left corner adjacent to where the copper gas line comes in. My observation from this diagram is that with the switch off, there will be no connection to the furnace but there will still be a connection to the thermostat. If you have the older style mechanical t'stat, it is functionally an open switch when the set point is below the room temperature. If you have a newer electronic model, there may be a small current draw to maintain the display. Hope this helps to identify if the furnace is the source of the drain.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
pagosa springs , Colorado
I've had the same problem (mystery battery drain), even when plugged into shore power. I keep a 3amp solar charger on it most of the time which works fine. If I disconnect it for 10 - 15 days battery goes dead. It finally dawned on me that the radio light is on all the time. So far haven't found the fuse to disconnect. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I would think the radio light won't do that but it could. I went to the fuse box and took my multi meter , put it on amps then pulled each fuse and check for a draw the fuse that where the draw was was the furnace. I just pulled it till I needed it again. By the way I need to tell the new owner this too. Buy the way the refrigerator uses 12v when on so remember that too when useing it while camping.