Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Battery Charger for the Winter... Help!

Hi Folks,

I just invested in a pair of Everstart Maxx Marine Group 29 batteries for our '04 LY 30 and would like to treat them "right" for the winter months. I do need to leave them in the MH, as the rig becomes our refuge whenever we lose power; something inevitable in a NE PA winter.

Battery tender or leave the MH plugged in to shore power are two options; any thoughts? any others? If a battery tender is the way to go, any recommendations for a good one that wouldn't cook the batteries would be appreciated.

As always, you guys are the best, and I look forward to any and all help.

Best regards and safe travel to all,

Randy, Pam & 🐕

Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Send a message via AIM to Silver Otter
While I don't claim to know a lot about this stuff, I did some research last year and bought a BatteryMINDer Model 12248 Charger/Maintainer/Desulphantor-Conditioner for our pair of Lifeline GPL-27T AGM batteries installed at Jackson Center. I used it last winter, and the batts are on in now. Seems to keep them in top shape so far.

TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Canopener Site #144
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Silver said. I am very partial to that model. use one for my pair of AS batteries, and one for the scooter and lawn tractor batts. My son uses one for his "race car" which sits a lot. They never over charge and maintain very well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Same what they said.......

But don't ignore the batt's, especially if they are not a sealed marine.
Our 53 Ford is on one and you will loose electrolyte even on float. Ck top-up regularly.

Bob
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I simply keep the unit plugged in all year round when not in use using an extension cord. The on board converter/charger has worked great so far.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
More noise, less signal

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
I just invested in a pair of Everstart Maxx Marine Group 29 batteries for our '04 LY 30 and would like to treat them "right" for the winter months. I do need to leave them in the MH, as the rig becomes our refuge whenever we lose power; something inevitable in a NE PA winter.

Battery tender or leave the MH plugged in to shore power are two options; any thoughts? any others?
Either way is fine. I just leave shore power plugged in. It's important to watch the electrolyte levels in the batteries, checking somewhat more often at first until you're sure they aren't dropping excessively.

In cold weather they aren't especially prone to overcharging even on a low-tech converter or charger.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
Hi Folks,

Battery tender or leave the MH plugged in to shore power are two options; any thoughts? any others? If a battery tender is the way to go, any recommendations for a good one that wouldn't cook the batteries would be appreciated.

As always, you guys are the best, and I look forward to any and all help.

Best regards and safe travel to all,

Randy, Pam & ��
Battery charges are usually for short term, since they do not have a brain.

For long term use, to keep the batteries at 100 percent, you need a charger that knows when to back off the charge to a minimum.

In that way, the batteries will not be ruined because of over charging.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
For long term use, to keep the batteries at 100 percent, you need a charger that knows when to back off the charge to a minimum.
And where do the so-called 'battery minders' fit in that spectrum? For the first time since removal in late September, I checked by batteries last weekend - 12.65 volts each. I've had each on a battery minder for a couple days and they're now indicating 13.29 volts.

Charts would indicate I started out at somewhere near 100% and brought these 2.5 year old batts up to ??? percent?!
Click image for larger version

Name:	state of charge.gif
Views:	66
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	174029

I do find it problematic to have voltages accurately reflect their true state of charge if batteries are actually wired into place.

I don't doubt that my batteries are winter-safe fully charged if left in the Safari. But I store away from home and the overhead door where I store is frozen down multiple months at a time. Andy, wish you had that problem?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
that 13.29 is merely a surface charge, I suspect. Before testing, you should apply a load of about 20 amps for about 15 seconds, then re-measure. (methodology varies). I suspect you'll find you'll be right around that 12.65V again.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post

Andy, wish you had that problem?
ALOHA BOB

Hey, freezing is good.

Makes ice for my MaiTai's and/or hawaiian Mimosa's.

I know, I know................ that dilutes them a little, but................that also lets you have more of them.........I think.

Mahalo.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
batteries

I had the same question 4 years ago and got tired of replacing batteries every two years. Then I decided to leave "The Roadhouse" plugged in and let the on board converter/charger do it's thing. It's worked great so far, and our Wal-Mart batteries are now 4 years old and we're real happy. (Hint: you have to check and add water at least twice a year and occascionally clean all the terminals and connections) But, that true with all batteries.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
More noise, less signal

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
And where do the so-called 'battery minders' fit in that spectrum? For the first time since removal in late September, I checked by batteries last weekend - 12.65 volts each. I've had each on a battery minder for a couple days and they're now indicating 13.29 volts.
The battery minder is providing a float voltage which is high enough to keep the batteries from discharging but low enough that there isn't much gassing.

One of the concerns I have in general with battery-minder type products is that they tend overall (not picking on any particular brand here) be made to, how shall we say, moderate standards of quality, so the float voltage may vary somewhat from one unit to the next. Even a unit that is good when purchased may not have especially good output voltage stability over their useful life and with variations in temperature and line voltage.

13.29 isn't enough to damage the batteries if it's cold out. At 80 degrees it would be too much.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't think I agree with you on that, Jammer. During float, at 13.4V, the unit is only delivering between 5 and 200mA. I don't think you can harm a battery at any temp (within reason) at that current flow. If it were 13.4v and 2 amps at 80*f, I'd agree.
Is it not a combination of higher voltage AND an elevated current that kills the battery at higher temps? And more a function of current?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Heck, the Iota DLS 3 stage puts out 13.6v in float (2.266v per cell) at about 200mA (per my TriMetric monitor)