Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Banks Power Installation

This is not for the faint of heart! I started the banks installation just before Labor Day and finished up about two weeks later after many false starts. If you have knowledge of diesel engines (I don't) you can probably do this installation yourself, but I recommend a mechanic friend for help as needed. It is not an overly difficult job in and of itself, but other problems arose which compounded the job. This was a '94/95 Cummins engine and had not been very well taken care of by previous owner and had been pushed to it's operating limits. The turbocharger had to be replaced due to vanes being nicked and shaft out of balance. During the first test drive I discovered the exhaust manifold cover seals were not just shot, but were gone! The cover was removed, resurfaced and new seals installed. Now down to the muffler. probably 90% blocked as it has a catalytic converter inside that was keeping the exhaust flow from getting out and causing back pressure. That along with an exhaust brake which was frozen up and partially blocking the exhaust flow was causing the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) to rise very quickly and stay high. Exhaust brake removed and muffler replaced with a stainless steel Aero-turbine strait flow muffler and now I have a performance machine! It sounds cool too. The final results: Cruise the mountains at 4th or 5th gear at 50mph (25-30 in 2nd previously). Highway merging at normal 55- 60 mph speeds (previous 35-40mph and couldn't get out of it's own way). Mileage has increased by at least 15% to near 12mpg. Engine runs smoother and cooler. Bedroom temp is now cool enough at shutdown to sleep with the A/C off and windows closed (bed is not even warm to the touch). This installation has probably save the engine from catastrophic meltdown and failure. The performance on the highway is nothing short of spectacular. Knowing what I now know, would I do it again? Absolutly! I will be happy to provide additional details by e-mail to anyone wishing further info. A happy camper here!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #2

kennewick , Washington
Just curious, how many miles on the coach? Just wondering as I am looking to buy one and your issues may be something to look for. Thanks!

Hutch
hutchmanhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Years ago I installed, with my wife help reading the instructions, a Banks Turbo System on my 87 diesel Suburban. During the installation of 80 steps I rewrote at least 15 of them and advised banks of those problems.

Now if anyone asks my opinion of the installation and my wife is present she asks the individual "How sound is your marriage". If it is not Sound do not try this as a team effort. While the product worked well the instructions left a lot to be desired and I had worked with mechanical things all my life.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Banks Installation

Coach has 90K miles, 25 of which I put on over the past four years. I had no trouble with the instructions. They were clearly written and I followed each step in order and had no trouble in that respect. It was the other engine problems which caused the headaches.