Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
ASLY2000 Window Leaks

I have a couple of leaks under window curbside MBR and one behind couch aft of the pilot's door.

It would seem from reading previous posts that the windows need to be removed to repair the leak.

The other issue is to find a source for the damaged interior laminate to match.

Has anyone removed the windows to repair leaks? I am at a loss how to do it. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I had problems posting from my other account (is.chowa) and had to reregister.

Regards

Steve
s.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Think I remember someone posting window track and plastic cap needed to be cleaned to solve a leak from track overflow, but I don't think it would be the only place a window would leak. Looking at mine, no screws show for disassembly. On my boat they had screws hidden in track under the fuzzy stuff.(shlagal)sp?
Wall cover is thin plywood covered with contact like plastic.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Dave, thanks for your reply. I had a look at my windows and did not find any screws either. Tried opening the escape window and it seemed stuck. Probably frozen after the rain we had.

Any suggestions for getting the plastic covering material? I will post photos later.

Steve
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
On my windows, there is an inner window trim ring, same size as the window, that serves as a spacer for the wall thickness, with a lip back over the interior wall. It has screws all around the trim ring that screw back into the window to draw the outer window in tight.To remove the window all the screws need to be removed out of this trim. Once window is removed old exterior putty needs to be cleaned off backside of exterior window flange and replaced with new. Rotate the tightening of screws around interior flange until tight when reinstalling. Then trim off excess putty from around window on exterior with plastic putty knife. Wait a week or two preferably warm weather, to see if any more putty comes out and remove.Tape off around window with painters tape, leaving a space of about 1/8"or a little more, but be consistent, between windows edge and tape line.Caulk with high quality acrylic latex caulk, clear or black to match window, tooling with finger to remove excess caulk,leaving a nice even bead around window flange.Your windows might be a little different, but I'm sure you must have a similar flange that holds the window in, and this flange will also have to be removed to access damaged wall paneling.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Thanks Gloran for your reply. I will take a closer look at the window again to see if the screws are there. Will try and post some photos later. I see that 92Landyacht is doing a major restore and am interested in his progress.

Steve