Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
Are Land Yacht Motorhomes Undervalued???

I was at the 2018 Rally in Salem and looking at a new 25FB A/S trailer when the topic of trading our 2005 26' Land Yacht came up. The trade in value for our rig seemed quite low and the salesperson mentioned that the motorhomes just don't seem to hold their value like the trailers. Being analytical I decided to compare what we had vs the the 25FB trailer.
1. We have a 'Classic' interior with the oak cabinets, upgraded interior, corian, etc which we like and sells for a premium over the other models.
2. I measured both rigs and we we have more interior room (length and width) compared to the 25FB.
3. Our MH has a ton more storage due to all the cabinets outside.
4. We have upgraded appliances like gas/electric water heater, better shower, etc.
5. Dual A/C units vs one one on the trailer.

Someone at the rally implied that A/S didn't really make our motorhome so I contacted Airstream directly and verified that statement was not true and they were in fact made by Airstream at their Jackson headquarters. The also confirmed ours was one of only 15 units (26' model) Airstream made in 2005. So...in my book it's kind of rare!

Anyhow...I'm looking at similar year 25 ft A/S Classic trailers for sale and they are going for $40-45k. Ours new was $120k vs. the trailers that were much less new. Any thoughts on why the Airstream MH's don't maintain their value like the similar trailers? For now, I'm staying with my little 26ft Land Yacht. It gets in all the national parks, is easy to drive and gets 10-12 mpg.

Thoughts?

idahojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Desirability, for one. What are customers buying, i.e., demand? Second, it has mechanical parts like an engine, transmission, and associated systems that can be costly to repair. Third, a dealer needs to make a profit when they turn a trade-in so pricing is always much lower than market.

A quick review of RVTrader and other listing sites revealed a few similar, low mileage units with many recent mechanical maintenance/replacement/repair work completed asking roughly $40K.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Desirability, for one. What are customers buying, i.e., demand? Second, it has mechanical parts like an engine, transmission, and associated systems that can be costly to repair. Third, a dealer needs to make a profit when they turn a trade-in so pricing is always much lower than market.

A quick review of RVTrader and other listing sites revealed a few similar, low mileage units with many recent mechanical maintenance/replacement/repair work completed asking roughly $40K.
That's good to know. They quoted me a lot less and were trying to sell me a new 25FB trailer for $97k. I decided to keep my rig for now.
idahojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The problem is you have something that looks like every SOB motorhome out there.
If you had a Airstream Classic 25, or 27' motorhome, you'd have something different.
I'm in the process of converting a 1975 Argosy 24' motorhome to Cummins Turbo Diesel power and doing a full renovation. It'll be different.
Keep what you have and enjoy it.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote