Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Onalaska , Washington
Smile ..another newbie here..

Hi gang! I guess I better quit lurking around here and introduce myself along with my partner Mickie. I'm Dave, and as you can probably deduce my other RV is a sailboat, moored here in the great Pacific Northwest. After 15 yrs of owning 'Getaway' I think she's revealed most of her secrets to me.
On the other hand, we just bought a '95 Airstream Land Yacht 30 (How could I pass up an RV called Land Yacht)?
We probably paid top dollar for our Airstream, but what the hey... we love her and at our age she's our escape module from winters here in the wet PNW. So far, the dealer put new tires on her before we took delivery, I put 2 new house batteries in her, we had the transmission serviced, front suspension inspected and opted for new bell cranks, drag link, tie rod ends, ball joints, alignment, etc. $5700 later she handles like new!
There doesn't seem to be any evidence of serious water incursion, most things work. The PO put on a Banks System and the Chevy 454 just wants to RUN! 76000 miles on it & it purrs! Also has a 'Steer Safe' thingy on the steering which was explained as 'front tire blow-out control' aid. Anyway, like I said, we're pretty happy with our new GPSYWGN!
OK, after a longer-than-needed intro, I'm puzzling over the electrical system and here's the gist of it. When I'm plugged in to shore power, I don't see the converter charging the house batteries. I figured out the AUX BATT switch needs to be turned on to start the genset, but I'm not getting any battery charging either on shore power or with the genset running. I'm thinking the converter is belly-up, but I can't even find it! Looked under the bed, under the stove, in the trunk, under the wardrobe, in the bathroom... It must be under the coach somewhere. Soon as the rain subsides I'll crawl under it with a flashlight and see what I can find. Been under the hood numerous times replacing house batts and learning the Hadley air horn pressure tank has a rust hole in it (dontcha love the way the hood comes off for easier access?) & I don't see a converter.

Any ideas would be surely welcome, and a general invite to any of you Airstreamers who might find yourselves in the PNW to stop in, enjoy a stay, maybe a BBQ or a brewski or a margarita or just a day in the woods where we live.

This is a pretty cool board, thanks for letting us join and wishing you all 'fair winds and smooth highways'!
Dave & Mickie
sailboatslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1992 31' Legacy 30
richmond , Indiana
Hello, two things. First try looking under the kitchen sink for the converter, should be enclosed in wood. Also my batteries wouldn't charge either until I replaced one of the coach batteries and cleaned all the contacts everywhere. One interesting thing with my shore line was that I was getting a slight tingle when I touched the frame. Found out that my outlet in my garage wasn't properly grounded. Had 5.8 volts running to the coach.
rsr2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
Welcome aboard shipmate!

I believe another forum member posted that the converter is located behind a panel on the front firewall, in front of the passenger seat.

DW and I purchased our 1995 30' Land Yacht at the beginning of this month and it certainly has been an adventure.
As you are no doubt aware, the forum members are very knowledgeable and a valuable resource.

Daniel
cesalie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Dave,

POI....Posting here requires pictures. All new members must comply.

Here's a link that may be helpful with your fog horn.

Ready about...

Bob
Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Welcome aboard Dave & Mickie!

Debra and I lived aboard sail boats for over 30 years. The last two where a 1939 Tahiti Ketch and then a CT 41. The move to the Land Yacht was very logical.

We have a 1995 30' Land Yacht and have been full-time on her for about 4 years now. We should be able to help you out on a lot of stuff.

The converter on our rig is under the dash on the drivers side. I would suggest removing the drivers seat to make it easier to work up there. The seat can be removed easily, four nuts and one electric plug on ours.

Once you get under the dash find the 110 volt outlet and follow the wire plunged into it to the converter.

Keep us posted...
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the LY family, Dave & Mickie!

cesalie2 is right; you'll find the best of the best here, for information and the people willing to share it.

Curious... what new tires did your dealer install and how do you like 'em?
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
On my 1993 LY the converter is mounted under the dash right side in front of the passenger seat. Remove the black lower grill and you find a bracket with a couple screws supporting the bottom of the panel screwed into the floor, there is also a couple screws hidden in the carpet that attaches to the side of the plastic wall panel. You may have to unhook the vent hose from the bach side to remove the panel also. Converter hangs on the outside wall and plugs into the wall outlet beside it.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Onalaska , Washington
Hey kids! Happy day, I found my converter! 'It was right up there on the mountain where the map said it would be' no wait, that's Jimmy Buffett. It was right where Randy said it would be, behind a carpeted panel in front of the passenger seat. Thanks Randy! Now that I've located it the plan is to remove it, plug it in to an outlet in the shop and see if it's putting out. I suspect not. It's a Power Source 50A model, and while researching Todd Engineering (the mnfr) they're not in business anymore.
First thing is to remove the passenger seat so I can get to it sorta comfortably. Thanks for the tip Bill. (Not as flexible as when I was younger) And Bill, our boat is a 1968 Cal 34 Mk 1.
RAG, the tires the dealer put on are 'Hercules' 8R 19.5 12 PR made in China of course. I'm sure he put on the cheapest tires he could, the tire shop invoice says $1140 for 6, mounted, balanced. Can't say truthfully how I like them yet, We've only driven it a couple hundred miles so far. Was told by the RV place locally (Brazel's RV) that they were really good road tires. We'll see.
Robert Cross, soon as I get started on this project I'll post pics of how it goes...helm's alee...
sailboatslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
It is indeed on the passengers side behind the kick plate.
mcm9970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Welcome to the club! Mine is in a completely different location (under the queen bed above the rear axle), but it isn't going to working for much longer. It doesn't charge the house batteries correctly and it hums just a little too loud, among other things. I've seen it mentioned on this site and others that Best Converters is the place to go for a replacement. I haven't called them just yet as mine hasn't completely died, but I hear that they can consult with you to find the right solution, possibly including solar, pure sine converters as well as inverters. Have fun! Adam
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the forum Dave and Mickie. Sounds like you found the right RV for you, you found us and you have the right attitude, so I think that you are going to do just fine. It is all just one big adventure!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote