Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Thumbs down Airstream quality?

OK, so I decide to replace the carpet in the rear bedroom of our 2005 LY 30. Shouldn't take too long. Pulled the carpet and underpad off the floor and then started to remove the carpet covering the enclosure for the water piping and wiring around the outside walls. Some person thought that this stuff should be not only stapled to the wood but glued as well. Pulled off mostly in pieces with alot of pulling. Then I notice just a bit of dampness under the wooden enclosure so I removed the screws to see what the problem is. OK, are you ready for this. Someone had used 3 inch screws (instead of the 1 inch required) at the top closest to the wall to secure the plywood box. Good thinking, except that they went right thru the hot water pipe in 5 places. I checked the enclosure/pipes on the other wall and they were ok. They had used 1 inch screws as required.
I quess I'm out of warrenty by now. Do I replace this piece of red plastic pipe or just put some glue around the 3 inch screws an put them back in. I think the glue alternative might just be comparable to the A/S constuction in the first place.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia
The glue and re screw method may be compatible but what glue are you going to use? Can a short length of the pipe be easily replaced? Or any length required with the use of quick connects?
Paul
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Obviously your suggestion is in jest and it's a bummer that this happened. If I were you, and I was certain this was from the factory and not possibly done by a previous owner, I'd call Jackson Center and just let them know of the problem. It won't do anything for you (and it sounds like a pretty simple fix) but they can add it to their quality control program.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Surely no one will ever know whether it was the factory or a PO. My feeling, having seen old Airstream factory videos of the assembly process, is that it would be very unlikely to happen at the factory, or otherwise every other 2005 model would be the same (are they.... anyone else with a 2005 who can check?) since the assembly process seems to have been very regimented. Your MH has had 8 years for some PO (or as I call them PI) to drill 3" screws in there because the box was loose.
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I had a Holiday Rambler MH, top of their line, that had the same issue. Screws right thru the line that went to the Icemaker.

Maybe it's an industry standard?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Surely no one will ever know whether it was the factory or a PO.
Unless he has been the only owner. Then he would know.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Some additional info. I am the second owner. The first owner sold the unit to me just as soon as the warrenty expired. By his own description of himself, he did not "know how to change a light bulb". I can attest to this as I replaced about a dozen bulbs in the unit when I got it home. All the work was done by the Airstream dealer in the city where he lived. I was given a copy of all the service records by the dealer.
The carpet that is on the water pipe/ wiring cover, on the cover over the fuel filler, under the side clothes shelves/cupboard, etc., is all original. You cannot get at the screws that hold these wooden boxes together and the screws that fasten them to the wall or floor without removing this carpet.
That's why I believe it left the factory that way. It is just a case that whoever fastenened these boxes to the wall, for some reason used 3 inch screws instead of the required 1 inch screws. This could have been the assembly point on a Monday morning after a bad weekend.
I just needed to vent my frustration.
Now how to I replace this piece of pipe? I have access to the 90 degree elbows. Is this pipe sold at local building supply or is it something I have to get at an RV dealer? I'll have to buy the tool for crimping the clamp at the ends.
Thanks for listening.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I would, if possible, contact Mothership. Inform. Ask if they would consider a courtesy review and repair. If it turns out the screws were theirs, they might agree. Worst case they have more bad press. If presented well, they might agree and help.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You can get the pipe and fittings at any hardware store and for just a couple connections there is a "pocket tool" you can get (worthless on a big job but can get by on a small job). You could also use compression fittings or "shark bite" fittings for a repair (on a big job a bit expensive but no need for special tools, except maybe a cheep release tool for the shark bite fittings).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just a note, there are 10 members and 7 guests reading this thread at this particular moment. Airstream, are you listening?

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Would you be listening if you were selling everything you can build as fast as you can build them?

I have found the 2012 build quality excellent compared to my 2007, which was also very good. Many improvements.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Would you be listening if you were selling everything you can build as fast as you can build them?

I have found the 2012 build quality excellent compared to my 2007, which was also very good. Many improvements.

doug
Yup... Because I would appreciate those who helped me get here and I wouldn't want to let them down.

Wired huh? I yam whut I yam!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Looks like 2 quick connects and 5 ft of pipe will be the solution. And a poly pipe cutter.
Thanks to all who let me vent.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Woodytwo, hang in there. It always feels good to vent, but problems do happen at the factory, dealer, or by do it yourselfers. All in all, I have been pleased with the quality of our 2004 Land Yacht, but we have to keep in mind that it was made by people like us who have an occasional off-day.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Timely thread, woodytwo. Replacing the carpet and linoleum of our 05 LY in two weeks when the materials from HD arrive.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Perfect time to seal the opening cut by the plumbers, and covered by the carpet layers, so while you are at the hardware store get some bronze wool and spray foam. I know my two previous owners didn't cut those oversize holes for pipes.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Red face I screwed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
The carpet that is on the water pipe/ wiring cover, on the cover over the fuel filler, under the side clothes shelves/cupboard, etc., is all original. You cannot get at the screws that hold these wooden boxes together and the screws that fasten them to the wall or floor without removing this carpet.
That's why I believe it left the factory that way.
Well folks, I was wrong. I dug a bit deeper at the back of the motor home and removed the plywood cover on the bed. I thought that I might as well check out the pipes and tank. Every thing here was OK but sure needed a good vacuuming. And what did I find? A small piece of carpet about 2 inches sqare that was a different color and type of carpet that I had removed on the floor. So I went thru those copies of workorders that I had from the A/S dealer that the previous owner had used and finally spotted a one liner that said "R & R carpet in BR". So It now looks like the carpet is not original as I had thought AND THAT THE PROBLEM WITH THE SCREW HOLES IN THE WATER PIPE WAS NOT CAUSED AT THE FACTORY. So A/S quality was not and is not an issue. I am totally embarressed for having thought otherwise.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Well folks, I was wrong. I dug a bit deeper at the back of the motor home and removed the plywood cover on the bed. I thought that I might as well check out the pipes and tank. Every thing here was OK but sure needed a good vacuuming. And what did I find? A small piece of carpet about 2 inches sqare that was a different color and type of carpet that I had removed on the floor. So I went thru those copies of workorders that I had from the A/S dealer that the previous owner had used and finally spotted a one liner that said "R & R carpet in BR". So It now looks like the carpet is not original as I had thought AND THAT THE PROBLEM WITH THE SCREW HOLES IN THE WATER PIPE WAS NOT CAUSED AT THE FACTORY. So A/S quality was not and is not an issue. I am totally embarressed for having thought otherwise.
I would be going back to that dealer with my camper and paperwork and having a chat with that employee!
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Woodytwo, DaveFl made a good point about filling the oversized holes while you can easily see them. That's exactly what we did when we had the carpeting replaced in our 05 LY. (fewer places for critters to try to get in!) Another thing you might consider, is adding carpet padding. We had a pro do ours & he insisted on first a waterproof membrane, then a good quality pad, then the carpeting. The benefit I never even thought about, is the sound reducing nature of the padding & carpeting. It's a much quieter ride while on the road.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Back to "Airstream quality", my bathroom fan went out, fuse (15amp) wasn't blown per the location in the fuse box roadside location. I purchased and installed a new fan and still not working. A few days later we were at a FMCA Big Sky chapter rally and the ceiling lights, shower fan and patio lights were not working but the step was- all on the same fuse. Got home yesterday and began troubleshooting this morning. Looks like the descriptions of what is on a fuse in this fuse box is wrong. Found a 20amp fuse blown. Once replaced all electrical items were back working. Now to figure out where the step fuse is located. And what else might be with it.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote