Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #1

1994 33' Land Yacht
Manchester , Illinois
Accessing Generator

Hello all!

I have a (new to me) 1994 Land Yacht with a Onin 7000 Marquis generator and am wanting to change the spark plugs. How in the world do you access the top of the generator to get to the plugs?
Hawkeye8219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would pull the generator completely out and do a full service. Then you will know its all good.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
You can get service manuals and more info from the Onan website. Should find lots of info on that model.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I'm pretty sure you will have to drop the generator. I did on my 93 to do a full service.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Yep, you'll have to drop the generator to service the plugs. I know it sounds strange but it's true. The Marquis 7000 and 5000 both have housings that completely cover the generator. The only way to access the plugs, or most other things for that matter, is to drop the generator and remove the covers. It's not a huge problem to do but there are some things to take note of. You'll have to do the following:

1: Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2: Disconnect the fuel line. Remember to plug the MH side of the fuel line with a bolt after it's disconnected from the MH. It will leak fuel if not plugged.

3: Disconnect the battery cable from the starter solenoid.

4: Disconnect the electrical lines going to the MH. There should be a junction box near the generator.

5: Lift the MH on the left side with the leveling jacks to gain as much clearance as possible. It may still be necessary to lift it more and place it on jack stands depending on how you lower the generator.

6: Use either one motorcycle jack or two floor jacks to lower the generator. Jack them up to contact the bottom of the generator before unbolting it.

7: Remove the 6 screw bolts that secure the generator frame to the MH

8: Lower the generator slowly until it's resting on the jack/jacks.

Once removed you should be able to gain access to all the screws needed to remove the black panels.

OR, you could do the following.... Go to an RV center and have them service the generator.

As you can see it's a a lot for just servicing the spark plugs. Good time to service the rest of the generator. Carb should be cleaned and adjusted. Brushes and slip rings should be cleaned as well. These generators are notorious for frying the regulators if the slip rings get dirty because the generator has not been exercised regularly. Expensive part to replace and the generator needs to be removed to gain access.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
Ardmore , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Yep, you'll have to drop the generator to service the plugs. I know it sounds strange but it's true. The Marquis 7000 and 5000 both have housings that completely cover the generator. The only way to access the plugs, or most other things for that matter, is to drop the generator and remove the covers. It's not a huge problem to do but there are some things to take note of. You'll have to do the following:

1: Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2: Disconnect the fuel line. Remember to plug the MH side of the fuel line with a bolt after it's disconnected from the MH. It will leak fuel if not plugged.

3: Disconnect the battery cable from the starter solenoid.

4: Disconnect the electrical lines going to the MH. There should be a junction box near the generator.

5: Lift the MH on the left side with the leveling jacks to gain as much clearance as possible. It may still be necessary to lift it more and place it on jack stands depending on how you lower the generator.

6: Use either one motorcycle jack or two floor jacks to lower the generator. Jack them up to contact the bottom of the generator before unbolting it.

7: Remove the 6 screw bolts that secure the generator frame to the MH

8: Lower the generator slowly until it's resting on the jack/jacks.

Once removed you should be able to gain access to all the screws needed to remove the black panels.

OR, you could do the following.... Go to an RV center and have them service the generator.

As you can see it's a a lot for just servicing the spark plugs. Good time to service the rest of the generator. Carb should be cleaned and adjusted. Brushes and slip rings should be cleaned as well. These generators are notorious for frying the regulators if the slip rings get dirty because the generator has not been exercised regularly. Expensive part to replace and the generator needs to be removed to gain access.
I have a 96 Landyacht 35 diesel pusher with a propane fired 7000 onan. Do you know if I would have to drop the exhaust as it looks pretty tight to drop the gen down?
RV AL is offline   Reply With Quote