Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Onalaska , Washington
A couple or 3 newbie questions

Hey you Airstreamers out there. Got a couple questions for your perusal, hope they're not dumbass, but that'd describe me too, so...
We're untying the dock lines in a couple weeks and heading south for warmer climes from the wet, chilly PNW.
1) Up to now, I've switched the fridge over to 12 volts when we're on the road and not plugged in to shore power. Seems to work fine, the big engine is running and charging the house batteries. Then when we get plugged in to shore power again I switch it back to A/C. What if I ran it on propane while on the road? I know it's an open flame making it work, but is it possible to extinguish the flame while underway, or is it pretty much blowout-proof? Any real-life experience out there? My inclination is to NOT run it on propane while underway as I like to have the main propane valve closed when on the road.

2) I've not hooked up to city water yet, only filled the fresh H2O through the fill fitting and used the coach pressure pump for water pressure. (That's a story in itself. When we first got the beast [and I use that term affectionally!] I fiiled the fresh water tank only to discover the next day a defective fresh water pump inlet cone washer that flooded the bedroom and ran out through the floor. Then I figured out which valve drained the fresh water tank so I could effect repairs. Fine. Under the foot of the bed are 2 other valves that I don't know what they do. The grey handled valve is the tank grain which I labeled, but I don't know what the other two control. They are both closed now, I suspect one is for city water inflow because it has what appears to be a pressure regulator beyond the valve. The other one I haven't a clue.

My reluctance to hook up to city water stems from my experience sopping up a flood of water from the defective pump inlet washer, but it should be doable. Any ideas on what those two valves control? The pic isn't to clear, but if it looks anything like what some of you may have, I'd sure appreciate some feedback. Oh yeah, guess I should say it's a '95 30' LY.

One more bonus question: My electronic combo door/basement locks work from the inside dashboard switch and from the outside if I touch 9/10 simultaneously. But I can't find the unlock code anywhere in the paperwork I got with the coach. Do ya think a call to Airstream with year/VIN # would be fruitful?
Anyway, those are my current quandries. Any advise is welcomed. We'll be heading south from WA State in a couple weeks, plan on seeing the coast as much as possible 'til we swing inland in SoCal to meet up with pirate freinds in Havasu then on to TX. Love to meet up with any Airstreamers along the way if we're in the same neighborhood. Aaargh! Look for the Jolly Roger on a flagpole and a flagon o' rum awaits ye!

Dave & Mickie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	173392  
sailboatslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Newbie qustions

#1. Our 94 Land Yacht has only the propane or shore power as choices for the refrig. We leave it on automatic to switich to propane when unplugged, unless we choose OFF. I can't imagine Airstream would have done that if it wasn't safe.
#2. After a similar experience with a previos RV, we never use the direct water pressure from anywhere. We alway use our pump and have experienced no problems or leaks as a result.
#3. Bonus question: Our electric locks work sometimes. i used to lock them manually then got lazy and don't lock them anymore at all. My theory is a crook will break the door and steal my stuff, so if I don't lock them I won't have to fix a broken door in addition to replacing my stuff. But, I am careful where I park it. Real RVer's won't steal my stuff and most of them are armed and aware of their surroundings. Also if I was a theif, why would I target a 18 year old coach with old stuff?
Example: I parked my 94 Airstream in a friend warehouse with his new
coach and the building was broken into. Mine was unlocked and they walked and and out without taking anything. The new coach was broken into through the skylight and they took all the new electronics.
I felt bad for him, but still haven't seen the need for flat screen TV's and high end sound systems when I own the thing to get away from the hub-bub or the everyday high tech world. I like tree's and outdoors when we're away from home.
I'll take my rum with Diet Coke, thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Dave, alot of people travel with the propane on. Its a personal choice thing, others think its unsafe. Don't know about the valves, but after you punch in your entry code hit the 5/6 button to unlock storage doors followed by the 2/3 button to unlock the drivers door. Thats how mine works.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
propane while underway

I run propane for the fridge when traveling. There would be no other way to keep it cool otherwise with a two-way.

-bought a regulator for the city water line-in as well for pressure.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
I have not checked out the valves under my bed since its to cold to mess with it till spring but I imagine the two valves you are talking about are drain for the cold and hot water plumbing throughout the M/H