Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
A/C Shroud Repair

I have two broken A/C Shrouds. I'm thinking these could be repaired as oppsed to buying new ones at over $140.00 each. Has anyone ever repaired a shroud? If so, what materials did you use? Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It would depend on what year the shrouds are and what materials they were made from. Some can be be repaired by using fiberglas and some can not. The original condition or age of the shouds would also be a factor in whether they are worth repairing.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I repaired my fiberglass Armstrong shroud a few years ago and it's still holding. The fiberglass was real rotten and large pieces were missing. I taped cardboard temporarily over the holes and covered the cracks and holes with fiberglass tape and polyester resin. Then I used a can of aluminum spray paint. Looks good from street level and like I said, it's still holding (for now). By the way I think the Armstrong shrouds are about $250.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Shroud repair

Go to a place like West Marine or any boat supply place. They have many products for repairing fiberglass hulls and are very helpful. I used a two part epoxy filler with a temporary cool seal tape on inside. drys in 20 minutes and then used orbital sander with 150 grit to contour. From street, you can't tell. I then used a polyurethane pain to paint the shroud with a roller. Looks great!