Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastern USA , EAstern USA
'98 30' LY MH... Water comes out filler vent when pump is turned on. Help!

Hi,

I have a '98 Land Yacht motor home. I am the original owner of this coach, but sold it back in 2002 to an attorney. I bought it back about a month ago. It was not used much, and kept in an RV storage garage area for most of it's life. I've put a bunch of work in cleaning it and resealing the seams on the roof, etc... New tires, belt, hoses, etc... Changed all fluids. It runs great and looks good.

The problem I have right now is that when I turn on the water pump, water comes out the vent whole in the filler area on the outside of the coach. The faucets still get water, but it pumps out to the ground too.

No problem when using outside water connected to coach through the 40 lb. regulator.

There are three valves under the bed, by the water pump. Maybe they should be open or closed or in a certain order. I don't know.

I've looked through the manual, and though the area is shown, this problem is not addressed.

Thanks for any help you have.

Steve
WeLoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I've called around to a couple service centers. They said to make sure that it was the vent where the water was coming out, and not the city water fill. I will need to look again.

Here is what we had connected.

city water------------------| Hose was connected to city water.
|
storage tank 3/4 full--------| cap was on tight
|
Vent hole with screen------| water came out when pump was activated

Not sure why or how water would come out vent. The city water has a check-valve that gets dirty or fails, and will let water pass through it when the pump is activated. Fix is to try manipulating the check valve to see if it will free up, puting a cap on it when not in use, or replacing the check valve.

I have to go see again for sure. I was inside running the pump and my wife was watching the water come out. I think we will switch jobs, and I'll watch the water come out just to be sure what is happening.

If anybody has a clue on this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Just a guess here but does your vent opening require a plug? I've never had the plug removed on mine except when filling, and I'm not sure what would happen if it was missing, but it will be an easy fix if it's your problem.

Pic shoes vent plug removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Water Fill & Vent with Plug.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	107045  
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hi,

I've not had a plug in the vent hole. It is covered with a screen. The hole is about 1/2 inches in size. The city water is in the same compartment, and had a hose connecting it to the water sorce at the campground, going through a 40psi regulator. Also, there is a storage tank filler tube, with a cap, much like in your picture. The cap was on it too.

I'll take a picture of the filler area tomorrow and post it.

Thanks,

Steve