Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
96 LY30 - Roof paint?

In addition to a few other tasks on our new-to-us LY, need to do some roof work. Standard fiberglass, for this year, and a few others.

Went to Camping World, and their recommended stuff is Dicor for fiberglass roofs - which is a rubber coating...?

Why? It is indeed fiberglass. Having spend a lot of time on sailboats, painting was not an uncommon task. Monopoxy for cheap, quick and maybe 3-5 years, 2-part polyurethane for expensive more effort and 8-10 years - just don't breath the fumes...

Seems odd to apply a rubber based coat to fiberglass; then when it starts coming off, it's gonna be a bugger getting it ALL off.

Whereas paint is pretty easy - sand and paint again. Worst case is a walnut shell blaster to get rid of the old paint in the non-skid pattern. But is non-skid gelcoat REALLY necessary on a roof? Odds are I am not going to be "up on deck" when it is raining and we are going down the road... And I would think the Dicor rubber would make the gelcoat non-skid pattern useless as well.

Comments?
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My 2000 has the standard caulking over the seams, I found stress cracks showing up in it, easy fix was to rub some 5200 into the cracks, I wasn't experiencing leaks, but wanted to seal and make a smooth surface. Used the rubber based roof paint only on the caulking. The pebble non slip f/g I used acrylic floor wax to seal after scrubbing down with bleach, the non slip seems to hold all the dirt, while the wax filled in the textured surface, 3 yrs and it still doesn't need the hard scrubbing, just a fast wash and re-wax each year.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote