Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
96 LY 30 parking brake cables

Anybody replaced the (2) parking brake cables #2 and #45 as indicated in the pic?

Mill Supply had (2), that they thought would fit - not even close.

Here is the long one from Mill Supply that does not fit. It is 94" length.

From the part numbers that came with the 1st image (item #2) , the correct length should be 99.25". The part # is 15990765. I cannot find a place that has it. Several google hits, but once you get to the site, all you get is "discontinued".

A place called UltraRVProducts has the short one going to the brake drum - #15729349. It should be here tomorrow. Forgot to take a pic of the old one. But they do not have the long one...

Anybody found a replacement part for this 99.25" part? Failing that, has anybody worked with these guys?

http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-kits/

Dang it, I finally got the brake drum from Mill Supply, and it fit with only a litter machining... A lot cheaper than the $650 that UltraRV wanted for the drum. But I still can't move the coach until I get this brake cable installed; it connects inside the drum, and both the old cables are kinked and frayed.

It has been almost a month trying to get correct A-arms, tie rod ends, parking brake shoes/drums, and cables. I have almost $500 of wrong parts to return that were actually listed as correct for this vehicle. Dang. And I thought that old Jap motorcycles were hard to find parts for...
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
BTW, here are the two ends from the cable currently installed - that I need.

The end under the coach:

And the end inside on the parking brake pedal:

Did some searches last night, and found a couple threads where folks had a link to successful parts places - Like Mill Supply and GMsurplusparts; neither of which have this cable...

I am about ready to pull the cable out and send to one of those places that make custom cables for the hot rod guys - which would take another week... Sure would like to find the right part.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Update:
UltraRV Products came thru!

The old and the new:

Interestingly enough, the part number from the pic is what I gave them:15729349. While the part number 15868400 is what the part was marked as:

They were also able to cross the "discontinued" 15990765 (for the front 99" cable) over to a W8007196. I would assume the W number is a workhorse later part? I tried doing a google on it, and the only hit came back was on the UltraRV Products site. Should arrive in a couple days: sure hope it's a match...

Seems folks in this industry don't like to keep part numbers stable.

Also got the drum from Mill Valley machined and got the yoke mounted:

For whatever reason, the flange where the P30 yoke mounts was not flat: had to tale off about 3/16". Still, for $60 (delivered) it was 10X cheaper than what looks like an exact match of the steel drum as indicated on the UltraRV Products. Apparently Mill Supply only has the cast iron for the P30 service trucks; while for the RV the steel was standard. But for $500, I;m good with cast iron...