Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
96 LY 30 - Engine battery not charging from Converter?

When plugged into our house, the Converter keeps the house batteries up fine. But after sitting for a week, the engine battery is at 12.1V. Coach batteries are at 13.5. Pretty sure I have a vampire load or two on the engine side; its on the list to troubleshoot...

When I start the engine, both banks charge. I just identified this as a problem, so have not yet had a chance to see what happens with the generator.

Any other LY 30ish coaches work this way?
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Yes.converter charges house Batts engine charges all3 through isolator. I carry a small auto charger & when I'm camping w/ hookups I charge the engine Battery. When not in use shut off 12v switch by door.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Thanks Gary.
Coming from the sailboat world, I'm used to converters with dual outputs - house and engine. The manuals I got from the PO were missing a couple pages of schematics - like the ones I need...

While this still seems odd... I guess it's "normal" in the Land Yacht world... Kind of like ventilation fans with roof framing support on only two sides...

I like your solution. When I'm working on the RV, I usually have the radio blasting away - which is fed from the engine battery. .Guess I'll add another charger short term, and when I get to electric projects make sure I get a converter (or inverter with built in charger) with a dual output.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Its normal in campers & moho's. Isolator protects the start battery from being drained. Mine drains from stereo (3amps 7 speakers) & phones, tablet, ipod charging. I have used my aux batt switch many times.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
By the way I have a complete book. I might be able to get you schematics & wiring diagram if needed.