Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Lightbulb 95 Land Yacht charging system questions

We bought a 95 Land Yacht Cutter LE that needs some love. The coach batteries were completely done so we replaced them, but the converter doesn't charge them. The converter is under the driver's seat, but should be looking for an original converter in front of the passenger seat? I've seen reference to that, but wasn't sure if it applied to this model.

Does the battery switch by the door need to be on for the batteries to charge while plugged in to power?

We will need to use the generator this weekend. It fires up, but I understand there's a transfer switch somewhere. Looked behind the breaker panel under the bed as suggested elsewhere, but nothing. Any suggestions where it might be?

Finally, is there a service manual available somewhere? I asked Airstream, but they were no help.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
We bought our '95 Cutter LE eight years ago. It needed a few things and we did some upgrades. We have been all over the US and have had very little trouble.

We can probably help you figure out some of this stuff.

We had our converter replaced when we bought our Cutter. The old one was mounted on the firewall in the driver's foot well. The technician installed the new one on the outside wall in the foot well and left the old one where it was. I later removed the old one to reduce usless weight.

Battery switch by the door

I don't think that switch is involved with charging. It just turns off 12 house power while the motor home is not in use.

I'll try attaching a wiring diagram for you.

Transfer switch

Our cutter does not have a "transfer switch". The shore power cable is plugged into the outlet in the locker and when we run the generator the rig is powered just like we are plugged in to shore power. I'll try attaching a picture.

We got a Owners Handbook - Service Manual when we bought the Cutter. I don't know where you would get one if Airstream doesn't have it.

Hope this helps. Contact me if you need more help.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I can't help you directly with your question on service manuals, as the smaller Cutters are not the same as the larger 35' diesel pusher models. I do have a manual for the 1998 Cutter 35' if you would like it.

If you are new to the RV world, you might appreciate this suggested site that has a world of information on the components that are common to most RV makes.

http://bryantrv.com/owners.html#

Spend some time looking through this site and bookmark it for future reference.

Wishing you the best of times with your 'new' Airstream.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepmer View Post
We bought a 95 Land Yacht Cutter LE that needs some love. .
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
I'll try attaching the files again. I forgot how tedious it is to post pictures on this forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=12 Volt Battery Box 800.jpg Views: 58 Size: 308.9 KB ID: 267979" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=12 Volt System 800.jpg Views: 43 Size: 91.5 KB ID: 267980" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:   30 amp receptacle.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  11.8 KB
Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
lepmer,

How big an email can you receive? It's 17MB.
I found a 97 owners manual online, that has a lot of this stuff in it. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I found it.
If you use Gmail, their limit is 25MB.
Or, if you have access to an FTP site, let me know the details and I can upload later today.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #6
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepmer View Post
Finally, is there a service manual available somewhere? I asked Airstream, but they were no help.
This manual is for a 1996 Cutter; printed in 1995.

Hope it helps.......

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...cht-Cutter.pdf
Old 07-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Thank you all! I'm going to take a closer look at all of these on a screen larger than my phone when we get home from camping tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
the reference of the converter you saw was to the Land yacht/legacy models. You want to look at Cutter/Flat front models.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
This manual is for a 1996 Cutter; printed in 1995.

Hope it helps.......

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...cht-Cutter.pdf
This is very similar to the printed 1995 version I have. Just a few minor differences.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Grande Prairie , Alberta
Thanks all! Can it be a Land Yacht and a Cutter? That's what is says on mine. I believe it's a 32 foot, but there wasn't an option for that when I created my login for the boards. I hope this works...here's the Millenium Falcon with my daughter performing front and centre.

I will check to see if that manual is the one I have. We have a Ford Chassis and it was for a GM.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Great looking rig! It looks like a twin to ours. Take a look at the stripe under the cockpit window. You will probability see a 30.

And when you get ready to fix that entry door have a look at my post on that job.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1200508
Old 08-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Yes you have a cutter land yacht. In the forum drop down menu you will see Land Yacht/Legacy which is where you are now & they were produced with a aerodynamic slanted front end. You will see another list in the menu that's called flat front cutter etc & those are your type. Different chassis different drivelines different electrical. Good luck! It looks like a nice unit.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #13
Rivet Slave

1995 36' Classic 36
Crossfield , Alberta
I have the exact motorhome on the Ford chassis and have all the manuals for it. I live in Alberta So if there is anything I can help you with let me know.