Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Legacy 34
Lake Village , Indiana
'94 legacy LE 34 footer, newbie needs help

hi,

bought on craig's list recently with no documentation and i'm hopeful someone can answer this.

i've figured most things out, but how to make hot (warm?) water come out of shower?

have flipped every switch i can see, have gas in the tank, stove works, red light comes on near toilet, but no hot water.

indian summer coming and wifey is cold.

thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Since you've got the red light, then you've got a water heater with the automatic ignition circuit built into it. If the red light stays on when the switch is flipped to on, then it means that your heater didn't light. The way that they normally work when the switch is flipped to ON, the light will come on briefly and then go off when your heater tries to ignite the flame. After a timeout (about 10 seconds or so) if the burner hasn't ignited the auto igniter will stop trying and the red light will come back on. Move the switch back to the OFF position. You should wait about 30 seconds and try it again, then after 3 tries you need to investigate why your water heater isn't getting propane. First go to the stovetop with a box of kitchen matches and try to light a burner and if you can't get one to light then go check your propane tanks. Once you're able to get several stovetop burners to light then go back to the water heater and try several more cycles of the auto igniter. If the water heater burner successfully ignites then the red light will stay off.

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Also, make sure the water heater hasn't been bypassed. There are valves under and to the left of the bathroom sink which allow you to bypass the water heater after you have drained it for winterizing purposes. It is a set of three valves which allow this. The easiest thing would to download a manual from the Airstream website, then follow the diagram.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Thanks for mentioning the valves Craig - I completely forgot about them. Your '94 is probably the same as my '92 and if I remember right the three valves are located in an "H" plumbing arrangement next to the WH, with the hot and cold water shutoff valves located in the vertical legs of the "H" and the bypass valve is located in the horizontal cross member of the "H". For normal operation, the shutoff valves should be open and the bypass valve should be closed.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Legacy 34
Lake Village , Indiana
you guys are great, thanks for the tips, i'll follow your advice right away.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
A visual check of the water heater, by opening the outside access door, would also be a good idea. If the air inlet, burner, or vent are blocked by debris of one kind or another it's not going to light.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
It's the valves. Same thing happened yo me when I bought mine.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Since you've got the red light, then you've got a water heater with the automatic ignition circuit built into it. If the red light stays on when the switch is flipped to on, then it means that your heater didn't light. The way that they normally work when the switch is flipped to ON, the light will come on briefly and then go off when your heater tries to ignite the flame. After a timeout (about 10 seconds or so) if the burner hasn't ignited the auto igniter will stop trying and the red light will come back on. Move the switch back to the OFF position. You should wait about 30 seconds and try it again, then after 3 tries you need to investigate why your water heater isn't getting propane. First go to the stovetop with a box of kitchen matches and try to light a burner and if you can't get one to light then go check your propane tanks. Once you're able to get several stovetop burners to light then go back to the water heater and try several more cycles of the auto igniter. If the water heater burner successfully ignites then the red light will stay off.
Awesome Crusty, I just learned something that was puzzling me!