Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
'92 Landyacht Progress

Well, it's still a work in progress, but here's where I am with the water damage repairs on my 92 36' Landyacht project. Keep in mind that I only paid $2000 for her so I have lots to invest in before it becomes a money pit:

Before Pics:

Damaged area around road side door

Damaged area around curb side door

Adding mounting points and wiring for TV

Ceiling area before adding supports

Adding 2x4 blocks using JB weld

After Pics:

Curb side mockup

TV bracket mounted

TV mount extended (note AC Power outlet and HDMI/RF cables)

Completed headliner assembly. Note the additional hardwood trim at each ceiling panel joints.

More ceiling joints trim out using real oak molding. Found that MinWax Golden Pecan is an exact match to the trim that AS installed.

Repaired and primed curbside wall ready for wallpaper. Window was removed and new butyl rubber seals installed while the window was out.

Master bedroom wall repaired with new luan paneling. Note the mocked up real oak crown molding and ceiling trim. Again, the rubber seals were replaced around window while the window was out.

The remainder of the roadside bedroom wall completed with fresh luan panel. Next it's time to prime and paper.

That's all for now. The next will be the replacement of the roadside wall between the driver's door and dinette set. In some cases the wall replacement was only the inner luan panel due to delaminating of the wallpaper from and first layer of luan. In other cases it required complete removal of all the wall layers including the insulation and outer luan layer. After all the wall layers were rebuilt, the outer walls felt as solid as any undamaged areas. I'm using Gorilla Glue as my adhesive of choice. It's waterproof and can fill gaps where needed. It's taken 1 1/2 of the 36fl oz bottles to complete the repairs so far. So far I've got about $750 worth of parts and materials into the repairs to date. That takes me to $2750 total investment so far. Those repairs include replacing all the roof top corner round rivets, Eternabond tape all the roof seams, rebuild the headliner, repair/rebuild curb side front wall, repair master bedroom road side wall, construct TV mount, rebuild headliner bolsters on both sides and repair the genset. Man am I tired... Need to get me a beer.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Looks great! Your making great progress, did you remove all the bedroom cabinets to run lauan behind, or did you butt to them? Alot of work but for what you have invested so far,your way ahead of the game. TV area turned out good also. I'll send you some pictures of what I've got going soon, need to down load pics from camera.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I was able to get about 1/4" behind the cabinets without removing them by cutting away the damaged luan using a box cutter and a curved blade knife. Measuring out the replacement luan was really the big challenge. I found that the upper cabinets were perfectly perpendicular to the ceiling and floor, but the bottom cabinet actually sloped back by a 1/2" top to bottom. It took a lot of measurements and trial fits to get all the angles right. The entire wall only has one visible seam where the two sheets of luan meet ceiling to floor at about mid window. I ended up being able to hide the rest of the seams behind the cabinets. I'm planning on finishing out all the cabinets’ interior that was wallpapered with 1/8" hardwood cabinet luan. I'll stain them to match the outside of the cabinets. That way I can cut out any of the damaged wallpaper and the cabinets will look and feel all hardwood and solid. Never liked wallpaper inside a cabinet anyway.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Nice job! It looks too familiar. We did a smaller version of this on the curb side front from the door to the dash. You mentioned "rebuild the headliner", we have that coming up. Could you tell us more about that and where you got the headliner material? When we did the rear stateroom we just went with paint on the ceiling with no fabric (or vinyl).
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
On mine, I was able to salvage the vinyl material the original headliner used, but had to replace the wood backing. Water damaged the luan backing and shrunk the vinyl material a little. That's one reason I used the oak molding to cover the seam. The original plastic piece no longer completely filled the gap between the headliner and the remaining ceiling. It's not perfect so I may end up replacing it again later. I did find multiple sources for the headliner material. Here's just one:

http://www.sailrite.com/Headliner-Perforated-Foam-Backed-White

You may find a better source though. I would be interested in any sources as well since I've never seen how close a match this is and would like to hear other's experiences.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1994 33' Land Yacht
bloomington , Illinois
I have been admiring your workmanship on the airstream . And I will be doing the same to mine . What materials did you use to repair the area below the window where the. Swivel chairs are? And the wall in bedroom .did you rip out all of the old luan and just replace with new paneling ?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 33' Land Yacht
bloomington , Illinois
Do you have pictures of your roof repair? Where were most of your leaks coming from?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I ripped the walls out to the outside fiberglass. I then used 1/8" luann wood and ,after drying out, the original insulation. I bonded the panels together using Gorilla Glue and heavy weights and left the inside uncovered with luann. I glued the panels to the outside fiberglass, again using the Gorilla Glue and clamping with wood bracing both inside and outside. I then cut more luann in panel section as large as I could using 4'x8' sheets. I then used the same glue and bonded the luann to the insulation. The hardest part was cutting the luann panels around the windows for the inside sections.

Most of my leaks were along the aluminum top roof corner rounds. The rivets had come loose and caused the corner round to lift up. I first had to get the corner round secured and flat. I then used Eternabond tape over all seams and penetrations. So far no leaks. Preparation is the key to using the Eternabond. The surface must be clean and have NO silicone residue. I used copious amounts of acetone and green 3m pads to clean each seam. Make sure you use sufficient downward force when applying the tape. A good wallpaper roller work great for this.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 33' Land Yacht
bloomington , Illinois
sounds like a lot of patience involved . gluing the new Luann to the out fiberglass do you have pics of that process?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Ready to go campin?

1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
92Landyacht, Hows the project going? I am anxious to see more of your work.
Kenny