Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I would question if that is a 3m brand product as I have never seen this type of crazing.We have been using this product since its inception (1997) and is has been drastically improved and has evolved over the years.Even the early product though it was thick and had a orange peel appearance never did this.
I am a firm believer in this 3M product(I do not sell this product nor am I a dealer for it) and have installed it on all of my vehicles.And they sit in the sun.I run my vehicle through a high pressure car wash almost every day also.I have also removed it with a heat gun as I recommended from many vehicles so it is safe if you are just careful and use common sense.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
The PO had some (do not know what brand) put on our trailer. Here is the link that I posted to the photos. I did remove all of it in about 30 hrs.!!
Just want to say thanks to this thread for all the advise.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/n...lm-109718.html
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I would question if that is a 3m brand product as I have never seen this type of crazing.We have been using this product since its inception (1997) and is has been drastically improved and has evolved over the years.Even the early product though it was thick and had a orange peel appearance never did this.
I am a firm believer in this 3M product(I do not sell this product nor am I a dealer for it) and have installed it on all of my vehicles.And they sit in the sun.I run my vehicle through a high pressure car wash almost every day also.I have also removed it with a heat gun as I recommended from many vehicles so it is safe if you are just careful and use common sense.
The Airstream/Thor class A 390 motor homes from 2000 through 2005/6 had the "clear bra paint protector by 3M according to what I have been told. The failure in the product would take on the appearance of mine as shown in the PDF pictures in post 11 or in some cases "crazing" shown in post #1. I have also seen a mosaic effect on some other Airstream in this year range. Most of the problems started after the warranty expired. I would hope that the product has improved because new motor homes are still having a product called Diamond Shield applied which also has a history of failing. I am sure the heat gun works but I would not want to take the chance in damaging the paint or fiberglass body when the steam heat produces ample heating to remove the film without any chance of damage to the paint or fiberglass body. I am glad the project is done and I got rid of the steamer and scrapers since I do not plan on ever doing this again.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I had confirmed with A/S factory that it was indeed the 3M product that was used on the Land Yachts in the 2000's.
But all of the these M/H are fibreglass as opposed to aluminium or metal and have been painted. I wonder if that would make a difference to having this problem? Maybe its the paint /3M adhesive combination???

And I repeat that my 2005 A/S manual states to "not use a hot water pressure spray when washing the M/H". So I will continue to hand wash it and rinse with cold water.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
That's odd as the cars that I have installed the film on have been constructed of Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber,Plastic composite,Aluminum and Steel.all I can guess is that is the paint or gel coat must interact with the film.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
I used my 2700psi pressure cleaner to remove the plastic outer layer, then, once all plastic removed I cleaned the glue with petroleum distillate and it cleaned ip beautifully. Took me most of the day to do. Mine was black from mold as I etched it 6 years prior removing love bugs. So thrilled to have my front cap looking almost new. I tried heat gun and scraping before this and felt my presssure cleaner was the better bet.
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Good news it had to be driving you nuts.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace View Post
I used my 2700psi pressure cleaner to remove the plastic outer layer, then, once all plastic removed I cleaned the glue with petroleum distillate and it cleaned ip beautifully. Took me most of the day to do. Mine was black from mold as I etched it 6 years prior removing love bugs. So thrilled to have my front cap looking almost new. I tried heat gun and scraping before this and felt my presssure cleaner was the better bet.

Its taking me hours to get this film off and I still have plenty to do. Glad yours is off. I have been working with a steamer which is very fast. The glue is causing me problems once the steamer takes off the top part of the film. I have used every glue remover I can find and the only thing that has worked is a 3m product and thats slow going too.
Colin4 is offline   Reply With Quote