Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
2006 Land Yacht

Hello All,
Here are some pics of the unit were looking at, please let us know if this is a good rv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	190583   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	190584  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	190585   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	190586  

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Looks good, but a 2006 should, one of the last they produced. We looked at one 4 yrs ago but price was too high for me, settled on a 2000 but would have liked the workhorse chassis and the 8.1 vortec upgrade. If it had a good owner and they did all the required stuff, it should be good for any and all glamping you will do. I'm sure the mileage is less than 30000, tires will need replacing due to Michelin's own rules of 8 yrs life span not wear.
Did they elect to upgrade to 50 amp electric? it eliminates the switch in the galley to use front or back.
Like the max vent over the bed, easier to boondock without electric.
Good Luck on your purchase.
Dave

Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Awesome RV!

That is an Airstream Land Yacht Gas 30 SO motorhome. Probably a 2005 since they quit making them after that.

We bought ours used in 2007 and have put 29,000 very fun miles on it.

It is an awesome unit, has an excellent motor in it and drives very well.

If you would like to talk about it, PM me and we'll exchange phone numbers.

I know every nook and cranny and can help you evaluate it.

Bob
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
Hello,
My name is Matt, this unit has 24000 miles on it, has power awning, only has 30amp service but I can upgrade that. I only looked through it for 10min. Everything looked fine. My wife and I are going to go look at it Thursday evening. What are things I should look for. And what questions should we ask?

P.S. Thanks for your reply and look forward to talking with you again.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
Thanks for the reply Dave,
The unit has 24000 miles on it. were going to go look at Thursday evening.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
This will be our 1st Class A stepping up from a 31' Rockwood Travel Trailer
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
First, check all systems for proper operation (A/Cs, furnace, water heater, generator, water pump, refrigerator on gas and electric, jacks, etc). Check the shades on windows and skylights. Check skylights for cracks. Does it have maintenance records from the previous owner? Drive it on the Interstate to see how it handles. Check the roof at all penetrations and where it joins the end caps. There should be signs that someone has repaired the cracks in the sealant that will show up over time. Check the body for any signs of cracking in the fiberglass. Also check body seams for signs that the joints have been maintained (re-caulked as the sealant ages). Check dates on tires to see if original equipment. As noted in earlier post, if original, they will need replaced. Are the air bags inside the coil springs at pressure (I use about 70 PSIG -- many of us on the list have replaced ours since they tend to leak over time). Check the seals around the slide for wear or abuse. When the slide is extended, the lip of the side seals should point toward the outside of the coach. Most likely the TV is analog, unless they have been changed.

I am well pleased with our coach. The engine has plenty of power, the gas mileage is not bad (long trip west we got 9.25 MPG towing our Toyota Corolla). A plus, in my opinion, is that the systems on this coach are about the same in type and number as on our previous Airstream trailer. Would assume not much different than your Rockwood. About the only additional systems are the electric steps, hydraulic jacks, and generator over our trailer. The engine oil and generator oil are easy to change. Like any piece of equipment, there are things that require maintenance attention (unlike your Rockwood).

Check prices in NADA RV (can be found on-line). When we bought ours in 2009, I found the prices to be in line. In figuring prices, note what was standard equipment on this rig. It is easy to double dip and add for, say, a second A/C when the second A/C is included as standard equipment. Same for generator and other items. It helps to have the NADA price guide and the original window sticker as you figure a price. As noted, we found the listed prices to be in line, when optional equipment was figured correctly.

Questions -- send me a private message, if you want.

Sam
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Travler, did you look at the rig last evening? If so, how did it check out?

Sam
Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Pasadena , Maryland
No, The dealer did not want to provide us with a Carfax report, 1st he lied to me saying that there was not one available, Then I told him that I went to carfax.com and entered the vin # in and it came up with a report. I could of paid to see it but I feel that they should provide me with that info. With that being said, we did not want to deal with them.
Theres plenty of A/S out there. We will keep looking.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
We probably looked at least a year before we bought. We kept a spreadsheet showing basic information on units available. One site has a low mileage, classic Airstream motorhome for sale. If interested, let me know and I will share site. I have no connection to seller and know nothing about the rig except what was in the ad. It looked nice.

Keep us posted.

Sam