Old 03-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Miamisburg , Ohio
2005 Weldex Backup Monitor

My 2005 Land Yacht 30SL has the original backup monitor. It recently started to have intermittent horizontal lines and blanking on the tube. It looks like there is a loose connection or tube issues from vibration etc.
Has anyone had this problem or have pulled the unit from the dash to diagnose the condition?
I purchased a new monitor on eBay just incase my would fail so I don't have to retrofit a replacement. Any advise would be appreciated.

Ken
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
, OH
We have weldex also. 2004. Our front dash had an old TV in the middle. That TV is replaced with new. During replacement I had the weldex out. Tricky, but with patience not too hard. Would recommend first remove whatever you have in the middle, then remove the weldex. You will need the room to work in the back to be reasonable Successful . Take time.. It is very doable.
Pff

Old 03-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio

Thanks for the reply!

Do you remember how the monitor was mounted behind the dash, and did it pull out or did you have to remove the dash to get to it? I have 4 screws on the corners of the monitor on the dash that look like they may support the monitor.

Ken
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

, OH
With access from the side you be able to disconnect all plugs . As I recall there was an issue removing the monitor . Not impossible but different than what would be normal. Maybe rotated. Sorry can not remember. Again, with the middle open you be able to do well. Have you thought about the camera. Have you moved the camera up and down? Any changes? With luck it might be a connection at the monitor... Check those before pulling old out. Maybe you could transfer connection to new unit before pulling old out .
Pff
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio

Many thanks I'll give it a try. I believe it is the tube or possibly a connection but the camera functions well. I can give the monitor a tap when it is on the fritz and
it brings it back to normal most times.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Castro Valley , California
My monitor has chronic vertical roll when I first fire it up. Of course, when I start it I usually want to back out of where it is parked, so sometimes have to wait a couple of minutes. I was thinking of putting a flat LCS display over the front of the Weldex and just leaving it in place, upgrade the camera as well.

I just got a license plate frame-mounted camera that will transmit to my Magellan GPS and it should be pretty easy to hook up but that is too low, will only show my toad and its smiling face.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
I was considering the option of a newer type replacement until I found a new in the box Weldex monitor on Ebay. I paid $39 for the monitor and $10 for shipping. I have been waiting for the weather to get a little warmer then bring the AS home to install the new monitor. I figured for $50 I couldn't go wrong???
Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

, OH
I have the Weldex backup monitoring system 10 page total info booklet. Covers everything. Be glad to get it to you.
Pff
Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
Thanks for offering the Weldex manual. I was lucky enough to have all the original manuals and paperwork from the previous owner and Airstream.
I have yet to get into the dash to pull the monitor but your info is helpful and I think I will try to pull the center console to see how to disconnect and pull the unit.

Many thanks!
Ken
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Monitor is a heavy little beast. (By the way I have the same problems. Picture sometimes fads and I need to give it a whack to get it working again.) I have had it out 2 or 3 times. Took all the screws out holding the dash plate/cover, removed the receiver/radio, and reached in and unbolted the supports for the monitor. Good luck.
Woody
Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
Follow-up on the replacement of the Weldex Backup Momitor on my 2005 Land Yacht 30SL.
Wow this took me a long time to get around to replace the monitor. In my initial thread I had purchased a new in the box replacement for the black & white tube monitor that had gone flaky. Since I have retired a couple of years ago I have been so busy it took until yesterday to get to the job. Just FYI for anyone looking to pull the old or just to into the dash this is how I did it. By pulling all the phillip head black dash screws I was able to pull back the dash at the top just far enough to take the knurled black plastic mounting screws off the bracket that hold the monitor. Then turning the monitor around I disconnected the 2 cables. It was a lot of contorting the bracket and monitor but it came out fairly easy without braking the plastic dash panel. Hopefully this replacement will give me another 9 years before it craps out. The original monitor had a chronic issue probably from vibration that caused all the picture quality issues. The later color version was said to not have this problem. I was too thrifty to buy the color tube.
Thanks for all the previous replies!

Ken
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
I read this posting with lots of interest thinking my back up camera and monitor might be effected. Apparently on the diesel pusher AS changed to a Sony monitor and camera. So far no problems.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
Mike,
I'm not sure when AS started using the Weldex B/W monitor, I would guess on the 2004 & 2005 Land Yachts. They had a real issue with that monitor. Most post have stated that they replaced the tube type with either the color Weldex or a flat LCD replacement and just covered the dash where the old Weldex was mounted. I was lucky finding a new replacement on eBay, but they are no longer available and I purchased mine last year.
Your Sony hopefully will give you many years of service.

Ken