Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Woody, I would love to see pictures of all the storage you'll be adding. I want to use the space under the table for built in cabinets, too. Our table isn't free standing it's attached to the wall, but I still think that area under the window is perfect for storage. When you post the pics, please no pictures of that Lund John has wanted one forever. Don't want to give him any crazy ideas.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

Oakland County , Michigan
Yes, I too would like to see photos! Sounds very interesting.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Well I finished the cabinets and installed them 3 weeks ago. I got lots of favourable comments so it can't look too bad. I don't know how to put up the pictures but I'll do some reading.

Took 2 weeks off and went camping: what a great relaxing time. But discovered that the dealer ( previous owner had everything done by the dealer and I have the reall the receipts) must have put antifreeze in the hw tank and the fresh water tank when winterizing it. It took me 5 flushes to get all of this out.

Have been busy since working on the power window in the drivers door. Wouldn't work. Previous owner had taken to dealer for service and they wanted $500. to fix which previous owner said no to. So what can be so hard to cost $500.?? Well lots of labour. When you take off the nice door cover you see another full door metal cover which is riveted on. No way to get at the motor until you drill out 15 rivets and remove this cover. Then you find motor concealed behind another 12" cover. 8 rivets removed later you still can't get it out. Must disasemble the window "screw" which connects motor to window. Another 4 rivets and 4 bolts. Clearly this motor was not meant to come out easily. What did I discover? Dealer seems to have checked the window switch and then disconnected the power to the motor to keep window in closed position. Switch seemed to be good when I tested it. When I reconnected power to the motor, the window would work. Played with the switch for 5 minutes and then it stopped working. now I was holding all the pieces in my hands while and it would work for another 10 times and then stop. when i moved my hands and tried it again , it would work for a while again and then stop. So I'm thinking a bad wiring connection and checked the rest of wiring. Looked like a crimp in power wires to motor wasn't tight so replaced both of these connectors. Ground looks OK. Checked connection at motor. seemed ok but tightened connections anyway. Took apart motor from gear housing. Brushes were like new and connections were solid. Now it works after playing with the switch for 10 minutes more. So reinstalled motor and "screw" in door. Plan to use it during my 4 week trip later this month. But I'm leaving off both of the door covers just in case. Motor just might have a bad spot on the armature (sealed). Now on to the heat/air conditioning fan switch.(Doesn't work on high speed) Any suggestions??
Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
Use the medium setting.... That's how we would fix it
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #89
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Isn't RV ownership fun?

Generally speaking, your high speed on the heater/ac fan should run thru a relay for direct power. (all other speeds run thru the resistor)
If you do not have a good ground on the motor, the high speed sometimes will not start.
The relay may be bad, loose wire, poor ground, fuse on relay feed, or it may be that it is just testing your patience.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
Now on to the heat/air conditioning fan switch.(Doesn't work on high speed) Any suggestions??
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Greetings all! We just last week became the proud owners of a 2005 Land Yacht 30 with slide. Color is Silver Frost with gray and black graphics. We were in Michigan (Silver Lake) in early June when we saw it advertised for sale in the forums classifieds. It was located on the way home (close anyway!) and we decided to stop by and take a look. A few days later we committed to buy.

This is our third Airstream, first motorhome. We started with the 65 Caravel (Beatrice), then got the 65 Tradewind (LilyPad - there IS a story behind the name!) a few years later. The LY (Flo) is going to be quite the difference both on the road and in parks.

Our maiden trip, other than a couple short jaunts prior, will be a month-long vacation in September and October, traveling to Nova Scotia. It will be our first time in NS, and we are really looking forward to our time there.

I have enjoyed reading this thread - it was a big help with our decision to buy Flo, and I am sure it will continue to be so as we learn more about her.

Safe travels to all,
Marion
Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Welcome, Marion. Congratulations on your new rig. We took a similar route in that we had four Airstream trailers before purchasing our 2004 LY w/slide in 2009. I grew up in Marion and joined the So IL WBCCI unit in about 1968. Hope to see you at Region 5.

As questions come up, be sure to post to this forum. The group is very helpful!!

Sam
Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Thanks for the welcome, Sam.

As a matter of fact I do have a question for you all. Our front television (12 volt) does not turn on. I am hoping it is a fuse, but after searching through the manual I can't find which circuit the tv is on. Can anyone give me a clue? The PO said it worked for them, although I don't know how long ago - certainly within the last year or so, since that was the duration of their ownership.

Any other thoughts if the fuse is not the culprit? I haven't yet pulled the panel in the overhead locker that hides the wiring...

Safe travels to all,
Marion
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Now on to the heat/air conditioning fan switch.(Doesn't work on high speed) Any suggestions??
On mine found burned out fuse holder, loose fuse caused heat enough to burn holder, replaced with 30 breaker. It was under hood just to the left of the radiator.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Marion, I don't know where the 12 volt TV fuse is located. I replaced our original TV with a similar size digital set. In the process, I took out the panel that concealed the various TV related wiring. There could be a loose connection into the 12 volt plug. The panel is not difficult to remove.

Sam
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
"Have been busy since working on the power window in the drivers door."

Hello woodytwo, sorry, I cannot help you with your window problem, but thank you for sharing the process of getting into the innards of the driver's door. Who would have thought that it could be so complicated?

Thanks for taking the time to post. Hopefully, someone will come up with an answer.
Michigan
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

Silver Frost with Gray and Black LYG 30 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotold View Post
"Greetings all! We just last week became the proud owners of a 2005 Land Yacht 30 with slide. Color is Silver Frost with gray and black graphics. Marion"
Hello Marion, congratulations on your purchase! Ours is the same color as yours and we love it! Took it to the panhandle of Florida last March and plan to camp for several weeks in Michigan this summer. Next trip is to Wilderness State Park at the tip of the mitten.
Michigan
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
Marion, I don't know where the 12 volt TV fuse is located. I replaced our original TV with a similar size digital set. In the process, I took out the panel that concealed the various TV related wiring. There could be a loose connection into the 12 volt plug. The panel is not difficult to remove.

Sam
Thanks, Sam. Yeah, I will be pulling the panel tomorrow morning to see if the problem is there. I am thinking we might replace the front TV with a new digital, too. Would like to go with one in the bedroom as well. I noted several neat installs in earlier posts.

I started the first small improvement tonight. We have the dinette option, no seatbelts. I ordered two sets from our local RV dealer, and they are a perfect match to the belts on the couch. Got the front belts installed this evening. Will get the rear in tomorrow morning. Easy install on the front, with my only concern being not to hit the propane tank when drilling from above. As it turned out, the holes were forward of the tank, so no problem. The outboard belt on the rear seat is going to come close to conflicting with the light in the basement locker below. Measure 4 or 5 times, drill once. We will be set to travel with the two grandboys now...

Safe travels to all,
Marion
Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Hello Marion, congratulations on your purchase! Ours is the same color as yours and we love it! Took it to the panhandle of Florida last March and plan to camp for several weeks in Michigan this summer. Next trip is to Wilderness State Park at the tip of the mitten.
Thanks, Michigander.

We will be in the Florida panhandle (Topsail Hill State Park) for the Canopener rally the first week of January. This will be our second trip to Topsail Hill, and we really like it there.

Christy and I have for the past several years spent a couple of weeks in Michigan during late July and early August - we enjoy your state very much. We have spent time at the tip of the thumb, and several places along the coast of Lake Michigan. It is a great opportunity to leave our high heat and humidity here in Southern Illinois for a couple of weeks. Our next trip will be to Ludington, most likely next summer.

Safe travels to all,
Marion

Tags
2005 land yacht sl