Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Thanks agian for your reply.
The treatment for the fogging windows was to heat the window gently with a heat gun, constantly moving the gun around until fog disapated. This treatment would last a few months and then you would have to repeat the process. If you heat too much the inside glass will shatter. But if this problem is a coating and not fog, shattering would be good. Remove the interior glass, clean the exterior glass and seal the gap around the frame. You end up with just the outside glass which will form condisation when it is really cold. (We used to do this on the old Airstreams trailers that had these double windows that would eventually fog.) But the alternative is to replace the double panes on a motorhome at $250 each.
Bill

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Talked to the Airstream factory service center in Ohio today.

Yes, what I am seeing is fogging. No, he doesn't think it is the film inside deteriorating. Replace the window or perhaps have the Florida company restore the window. (There is a company in Florida that removes the window, separates the glass, cleans, reseals and reinstalles the window for about $100 each.) Yes, the supplier had been offering some extra warranty replacement but that is no longer the case.

What I learned researching this topic is that fogging is just a matter of time; age, sun and the number of bumps will take its toll on the seals.

So, why bother to replace or restore? Just remove the inside glass and have some condensation on the windows from time to time. I can live with that.

Woodytwo

Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Thanks for the research & information. Interesting, why double pane windows were put into something that moves as much as a motor home.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

St. Germain , Wisconsin
Hi, Rolltop here, new to the forum. I have a 05 30SL LY I bought used in 2008. The windows were all compromised. I had them taken out, cleaned, repsealed and replaced by Suncoast Designers, Inc., in Hudson, Fl. Cost was $200 - $250 / window. Great experience and job. Will have some questions later about some other issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3182448012.png
Views:	107
Size:	764.5 KB
ID:	144511  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Rolltop, welcome to the forum. I trust you are enjoying your Land Yacht. I is sure nice to have this group for a resource.

Sam
Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Sarasota , Florida
Hello Diana and Bill,

I had a safety-steer on my 2004 LY when I bought it but it was making such a noise, I removed it. I find the steering fine without it. In heavy side winds, there is some wander, but not overly so. I get wander in my SUV, as well.

I do get on the roof for maintenance. However, I use a rug (rubber side down) and put small pieces of plywood (3/8" is good) on top of that to help better distribute my weight (200+). The roof feels solid.

This is the first motor home I've had that I don't have to constantly take in for repairs (knock on wood). So, chances are, you are buying a good rig.

Good luck.

George in Florida
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Smile

We're one of the 60. Picked ours up in Houston two days ago and driving to SoCal right now. This is our first and we're looking forward to many years of use
Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
Wink

Welcome to the club.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
Airstream 2004 LY

Wow nice to see so much information on the LY. I have a much larger RV currently and want to downsize. We mountain bike a lot and want to go further so we want some more efficient than our current setup at nearly 5-6 miles to the gallon. I have just spent 5 hours looking at a 2004 Airstream LY 30 foot with a side out. Its in excellent condition and has been taken care of by an Aircraft Mechanic, one and only owner. (lucky me ) The only thing I did not like was how low the front end was and we did determine that the airbags were low and one had a leak. I also notice that the storage space was not very big but you guys have some good tips and tricks to get around that issue. The coach looks well made but I have seen some really bad reviews about leaking and front end sway. I walked on the roof and its a full one piece fiber glass roof and sealed with special marine chalking. (Aircraft Mechanic for you) I guess I am looking the internet over before I pull the trigger. My concern is still that low front end. It seems too low to me. Is that normal? I hope we can get those air bags sorted. Well thanks for the info and I will let you guys know if we become part of the elite airstream crowd.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Sarasota , Florida
Wink Airstream 2004 LY

Hello Colin4,

I have a 2004 30ft SO. It's a good RV. The first one I've had that hasn't had to spend a lot of time in the shop. Mine is low, too, in the front. Also an airbag issue. The airbags don't hold up well, I think. Otherwise, the RV rides and drives very well. I had the Ford V10 on other RVs and I really love the Workhorse chassis - much easier to drive, in my opinion. As to leaks, all RVs develop leaks, except maybe the Coach House Platinum that has a one piece molded shell. It's good you had an airplane mechanic as owner on this one. He would probably have taken very good care of it. If the price is right, it's probably a very good RV. Good luck. George in Florida
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotraveler View Post
Hello Colin4,

I have a 2004 30ft SO. It's a good RV. The first one I've had that hasn't had to spend a lot of time in the shop. Mine is low, too, in the front. Also an airbag issue. The airbags don't hold up well, I think. Otherwise, the RV rides and drives very well. I had the Ford V10 on other RVs and I really love the Workhorse chassis - much easier to drive, in my opinion. As to leaks, all RVs develop leaks, except maybe the Coach House Platinum that has a one piece molded shell. It's good you had an airplane mechanic as owner on this one. He would probably have taken very good care of it. If the price is right, it's probably a very good RV. Good luck. George in Florida
Well I am happy to announce that we are the lucky owners of our first Airstream LY!!! We are happy to now be apart of the Airstream family. Its almost like being an Apple computer owner.. you feel special some how. So I pulled the trigger and purchased the 2004 Airstream Land Yacht 30 foot with S.O yesterday. Its in the shop getting the airbags replaced on the front end. Also I am having the steering stabilizer plus unit checked out. I drove it home last night and boy it has some guts. One of the many options the "Aircraft Mechanic" installed was a dual Banks exhaust system and he says that increased HP. I am already in love with this RV. We can't get into any campsites this weekend but I am driving it somewhere.

I feel that there is so many knowledgeable people on these forums that I will always get help on just about any topic. Btw geotraveler we are in Clearwater FL. Where are you? Do you know how many 2004 units were made?

I did use my FLIR infrared thermal camera to check for leaks and found nothing. I will post pictures soon.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Smile We're on our way

Well here we go. We fly out tomoorow and if all goes well we will be the proud owners of one of the 60 produced in 2005 on Friday. Have had the MH independantly inspected and it was rated an "A+". After 15 years pulling 31' classic Airstream trailers, this will really be a change. We have always loved our trailers (3 ) and have put at least 100,000 miles on them. And with absolutely no trouble on the road. Not even a flat tire. So I hope that we can say the same about the MH 15 years from now. Thanks to all who responded to my request for info. It was much appreciated.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
Congratulations on your purchase! See you on the road some day.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
Ditto from us. Keep us posted on your adventure.

Tags
2005 land yacht sl