Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Surprise , Arizona
Cool 2004 Landyacht power window

I have driver power window that has quit working. Took the door panel off, removed aluminum panel to get directly to power on the power window motor. I have power when I move the switch. 2 questions. I removed all the rivets from the small aluminum piece (behind the large panel; upper right side) that the power window assemble rivets to. Yet it still seems to attached to something. Is it glued or what. I don't want to tear it up.
Also, I checked power to the window motor and have power when I push the switch. The motor does not turn and is not hot to touch so i assume the motor is bad. Does anyone have a number or some reference to a replacement assembly? Any helpful comments?
C21Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Never worked on a rig like yours. Three ideas.

While using the switch to run the window, tap on the motor opposite end of the gearbox. If it responds at all, could be worn out brushes or sticking brushes in the brush holder. Watch where your hands are for this one, no bandaids.

Take a pic of the motor, I bet it is from something else and post it. Some common motors might be at least family identifiable by pic.

Look on the motor for mfgr identity and any numbers on it. Start googling.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My window got stuck up: the glue in the top rail seeped through the felt seal and glued the window in the up position. I finally got it to release by pushing it down, hands on both sides, while someone operated the switch. After I got it down I covered the top of the window with foil to stop the "gluing."
Old 04-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
update to power window

I tested the power to the motor after taking off the interior panel and putting my volt meter across the terminals, I have voltage so the switch is ok. I searched the internet and could not find a motor so I talked to my RV repair guys. They came up with a replacement for the window motor. The motor comes as a part of a complete assembly which includes the screw to move the window up and down. It turns out this is a rare assembly (few made and not made anymore) and has a sweep installed internally to prevent something from interferring with the operation. It was found at some part store in texas. The bad news is it is $600 for the part. So I am looking to see if anyone knows of a wrecked landyacht in the 2000 era that I could take or have someone take out the power door assembly. If some one has another solution I would like to hear about it. Otherwise my window will just stay up.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pictures of motor?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
This might help in identifying the motor. pdf files of pictures.
pic1-airsteam door motor.pdf

pic2-airstream door motor.pdf

pic3-airstream door motor.pdf
Old 04-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
My window on my 2005 landyacht gets stuck in the up position due to the hot weather in south Florida. I have taken the door apart, removed the metal protection and taken out the motor thinking it was bad. It turns out that they use too much glue to put in the window seal and the window then gets glued to the top of the frame. Remove the 2 bolts on the metal piece that the window rests on and see if the motor moves along the track. If it does, your window is glued to frame. My motor is and was fine, but I have to put aluminum foil in the top of the window to keep it from getting stuck. Try this before spending any money on a fix.
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Plus, I have the same motor in your first pdf
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
1972 23' Safari
Georgetown , Texas
Hi, If it is the motor, type in 12716L on the internet. There are multiple sources for this part under $50.00. It looks like it is a common part used on older Mustang windows. I found a link to eBay for $34.00. Hope this may help! Make sure you it is for the correct side (left or right window).
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...s+window+motor
kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
There is a RV Salvage Yard in Kentucky that has several wrecked Airstreams. They probably have what you need. I needed a new 3-way controller for my frig. A new dinosaur model was $290. Used part from them was $35.

VisoneRV.com
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Talking Fixed Power window on 2004 30SL

I wanted to thank you for all the responses. I found the right motor on line, so thanks kenajen. A point of interest, the motor on line did not have the right gear inset. You have to use the sleve that comes off the existing motor. I was able to re-install the motor with very little trouble back on to the screw that controls the window action. One note, since the original build used rivets, when I reinstalled the inside plate, I ended up using 3 different sized metal screws. I don't have rivet tool that had larger rivets to use. But it all works now! (PS: to buy the motor and screw from a texas parts store was $600 plus $45 to have it installed. I paid $45 which included shipping.)
Old 06-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Hayden , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandgrace View Post
My window on my 2005 landyacht gets stuck in the up position due to the hot weather in south Florida. I have taken the door apart, removed the metal protection and taken out the motor thinking it was bad. It turns out that they use too much glue to put in the window seal and the window then gets glued to the top of the frame. Remove the 2 bolts on the metal piece that the window rests on and see if the motor moves along the track. If it does, your window is glued to frame. My motor is and was fine, but I have to put aluminum foil in the top of the window to keep it from getting stuck. Try this before spending any money on a fix.

I also have a 2005 Landyacht 26ft and the window gets stuck occasionally. I've removed the glue from the top of the window and put a little silicone and now it's working fine.
idahojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2005 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Georgetown , South Carolina
Glued window

I also have a 2005 26' LY and my window did the same thing - multiple times. I was able to free it up with a thin blade every time but the last time, at which time the window glass separated from the frame to which it was adhered. Apparently, I now have to drill out the rivets holding the aluminum panel in place and use some kind of suitable adhesive to re-attach the glass to the frame. I understand that I should avoid using a firm-setting product like contact cement that will prevent a modest amount of movement of the seal, so if anyone has a recommendation in this regard, I will welcome it.
Raccoon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
Cool 2009 power window

My problem for the moment is unreliable operation, seems to be in the switch , removed the screws & tinkered with it. The bottom wire on the switch has intermittent contact thru the mini-connector. Found the connector had a grease like material on the contacts....washed it out . Cleaned the contacts with a fingernail file until fresh metal was visible. Works OK for now....suppose the next trip will tell ?
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
First Check 5 pin Window Switch or Replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcornkid View Post
My problem for the moment is unreliable operation, seems to be in the switch , removed the screws & tinkered with it. The bottom wire on the switch has intermittent contact thru the mini-connector. Found the connector had a grease like material on the contacts....washed it out . Cleaned the contacts with a fingernail file until fresh metal was visible. Works OK for now....suppose the next trip will tell ?
Absolutely. I actually pulled my switch apart and cleaned its contacts. The reason I did was because I thought I would never find it online. Oh how wrong I was. Simply type in 5 pin window switch... they are super cheap to replace.
Colin4 is offline   Reply With Quote