Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
2004 Land Yacht Chassis Battery?

Regarding the Chassis Battery.......

Can anyone tell me the proper size, cold cranking amps or anything else as to the battery these units should have in the "ridiculously difficult to reach location" of the Chassis Battery?

What the heck is a "Tuba" anyway, other than something that's in-the-way?

It appears my battery is dead based on a reading of less than 1 volt on a supposed 3 month old battery, but the question remains, why?

Current battery is only 550 CCA's and smaller in physical size than the battery box.

I'm looking to replace the battery and start from scratch with a new one of the proper specs.

Any info available?

Thanks!
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
AURORA , Colorado
The biggest one that well fit in the space povided for it
Big Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Yep, I agree... Get the largest amp-hour rate deep cycle battery that will fit into that location. You can never have too many available amps.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Yep, I agree... Get the largest amp-hour rate deep cycle battery that will fit into that location. You can never have too many available amps.
Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery.

It will not hurt a deep cycle battery to be used as a starting battery, but for the same size battery they cannot supply as much cranking amps as a regular starting battery.

If you are going to use a deep cycle battery as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps.

The recomended starting battery for the rig is around 845 cranking amps, so increse this by 20%.

Th larger size deep cycle battery may be harder to fit into "ridiculously difficult to reach location".
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Do a search on this forum for "batteries" Lot of good info is available.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN House (deep discharge) and chassis (starts the engine) batteries is this:Chassis batteries deliver large current for a short period and if completely discharged can be damaged or life shortened. While house batteries are designed for deep discharge and will not be damaged or life shortened. I would not use a deep discharge battery. There are other specs on batteries tha you will find in this forum.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
The recomended starting battery for the rig is around 845 cranking amps[/I]
The 845 you mention, is that Cold Cranking Amps, or just Cranking Amps? There's an Interstate Battery that would physically fit with a CCA of 800 and CA of 1000; sound about right, or would you recommend higher?

I understand and agree with the House vs. Chassis battery difference having to do with deep cycle design.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Red face

Sorry for the mixup. When I read chassis, I was thinking coach. Yep, go with a high amp starting battery.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
The CA and CCA describe the capability of battery to deliver current at two temps. CA at 32F and CCA at 0F. So in your case, the 800 = CCA and 1000 +CA. Same battery.

I took some pix yesterday of my rig but am having probs uploading. Anyway one deep discharge is labeled Magnum Gold Pt# RV31-90xxx Can't read the last digits. The chassis battery is about the standard automotive size labelled The Performer Auto Sense. Will check my invoices later to-day.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG View Post
The 845 you mention, is that Cold Cranking Amps, or just Cranking Amps? There's an Interstate Battery that would physically fit with a CCA of 800 and CA of 1000; sound about right, or would you recommend higher?

I understand and agree with the House vs. Chassis battery difference having to do with deep cycle design.
I think the Interstate Battery with a CCA of 800 would do just fine. You can check for your self on several of the battery supplier’s web sites. They have a section where you can enter the year, make, and model of your chassis and find out what they suggest for your rig.

The other thing you may want to check into is a trickle charger.

We stay parked sometimes for several months. There is something (or things) that I can’t find, slowly discharge our battery.

I first installed a disconnect switch on the battery, but I didn’t like that too much. There are some lights and power outlets that we use that will not work with the battery disconnected.

I bought a small trickle charger and ran the wires from the wall-wart (power supply) through the firewall to the battery under the hood. I unplug the wall-wart (power supply) from the 110 AC and unplug the battery connection under the hood when I am running the engine.

Here is the one I have:

BatteryTender® battery chargers from Highwayone.com

I only need the trickle charger when we are parked for a month or so and it works great.

Hope this helps.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
I think the Interstate Battery with a CCA of 800 would do just fine. You can check for your self on several of the battery supplier’s web sites. They have a section where you can enter the year, make, and model of your chassis and find out what they suggest for your rig.
Some of the battery websites list a Workhorse Chassis, but never with the 8.1L engine.

Thanks for the tips on the trickle charger.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I ended up replacing all 3 batteries: headed to Casini last year, we heard a big "blam," and it didn't feel like a blowout. When I pulled over I found the top had blown off one of the house batteries, so of course they got replaced. The OEM chassis battery quit a few months later and I carried the old one in & replaced it with an Optima sealed one. I use two trickle chargers similar to the Barnacle Bill posting for longer term storage.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
RAG
3 Rivet Member

Optima Chassis Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraYacht View Post
The OEM chassis battery quit a few months later and I carried the old one in & replaced it with an Optima sealed one.
Was the Optima a Series 78 size?