Old 08-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Thibodaux , Louisiana
2004 26 Land Yacht leaks

Re-doing a 2004 LY 26. Trying to track down some leaks in the front area. I have one on the passenger side by the front seat.

The other source of water is from a yellow wire coming out of the wall behind the couch, its also close to the converter. It has been leaking for a while because of the soft floor below it.

The previous owner seemed to have tried to tame it by putting large amounts of sealant above the passenger windows and at the seams where the front cap is attached.

Thanks,JHP

latenite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
My 2005 leak was from around the front clearance lights and my repair guy said that is the classic leak location. I cleaned around them and resealed.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
Thanks for the info. Those are the orange one directly above the cab correct?. Also do you know what he used to seal them?
Thanks,JHP
Old 10-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
I took my ceiling apart from the inside thinking it was leaking from lights or cap joints & found it was from the top of the windshield.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepardstown , West Virginia
Mine has 3 antennas on the roof. CB, AMFM Radio, and a 90's celluar antenna. Two of them had cracks exposed around the antenna base. Seal up all 3 plus the seam for the front cap and my leaks from hard standing rains stopped. Never leaked while driving.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
How did you access this from the inside? My leak has shown up again and want to track it down from the inside. The leak is above the passenger window. I want to take the valance above the window but a little cautious.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
Did you find your leak?
kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
When I had first posted that, I had just purchased the MO and the PO had done all kinds of caulking mess over the passenger area with it still leaking at the window over the seat. After some research I had found airstream had issued a bulletin about the leak. Turned our not to be over the window but further back where the roof cap is. So I followed the instructions and it held it off for a while but it came back. Not bad but on hard rains it would drip. So during that time the clear coat on my roof started pealing off and I had the top and front re painted got it back yesterday. I had my guy re seal around the roof caps so I am waiting for the rain to come to see if he fixed the leak. He gooped up pretty good, I was not really happy how it looks but i guess if it works.
I did take off the valance about the window and the wood was rotted and I replaced it. Do you have a leak or have you found a solution for your leak?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Miamisburg , Ohio
Thanks, Same issue with my 2005 30SO. Started over the passenger dash at window, then passenger side window. I had the cap and sides repainted late in 2018 front to back where the clear coat broke down. No leaks till then, but it is under covers when not in use so hard to pin down the leak until traveling. I use "Quick Roof Ultra Bond" tape, so I will redo the front cap seal tomorrow. Bad rain yesterday, so I saw the leaks.
Thanks for the reply!
kenajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
Leaks

So it did not leak before you had the top painted?

Well I am far from an expert, but have been dealing with this since I purchased the MO here is my opinion. I have attached the bulletin from airstream concerning the leak. Everyone thinks its about the window but it actually originates at the caps. Leaks down and comes out over the windows. My previous owner tried to seal up above the window and just made a mess. I sealed up over the caps and had success for a little while but it came back. So I took it to have the top painted and they gooped it up pretty good, and it rained yesterday and no leak.
Also if you take off the valance above the seat you will probably find that wood rotted see picture. That wood is what the cap trim above the window screws to. Mine had pulled away and lead to some leaking.

If yours started leaking after they did the work, I would think if they unscrewed those caps and did not seal properly behind them and on the outside it may drip down and leak.

I have 26LY, how do you like you 30, I love the small size of mine we mainly use it for tailgating, but would like a little more room.

I tried to attach the word document of the bulletin airstream sent me but is will not let me. I could email if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181002_110650.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	337058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181002_110705.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	337059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS drip rail.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	337060  
Old 04-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Lake Tahoe Airstream Club

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Minden , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite23 View Post
So it did not leak before you had the top painted?

Well I am far from an expert, but have been dealing with this since I purchased the MO here is my opinion. I have attached the bulletin from airstream concerning the leak. Everyone thinks its about the window but it actually originates at the caps. Leaks down and comes out over the windows. My previous owner tried to seal up above the window and just made a mess. I sealed up over the caps and had success for a little while but it came back. So I took it to have the top painted and they gooped it up pretty good, and it rained yesterday and no leak.
Also if you take off the valance above the seat you will probably find that wood rotted see picture. That wood is what the cap trim above the window screws to. Mine had pulled away and lead to some leaking.

If yours started leaking after they did the work, I would think if they unscrewed those caps and did not seal properly behind them and on the outside it may drip down and leak.

I have 26LY, how do you like you 30, I love the small size of mine we mainly use it for tailgating, but would like a little more room.

I tried to attach the word document of the bulletin airstream sent me but is will not let me. I could email if you like.

Latenite23, I would like a copy of that Airstream notice. Family member had this 30' Land Yacht MH since new. We have noticed dampness around passenger side with hard rain coming from that direction. Never received any notice from Airstream on this issue. Please email to me if you don't mind...linda7915@gmail.com.
linda7915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Spencer , Indiana
Airstream bulletin

I would love a copy of the bulletin as well.
Thanks!
robfike@comcast.net
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1993 31' Legacy 30
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I have a 1993 30 Legacy. Largely the same complaints as have been referenced here. Windshield shop did my glass, it seems to be fine but we live in a married region. Front Leaks on both sides near the speaker. Just as the pictures previously posted.

I too would love to look at that bulletin .�� denniscoates@hotmail.com
What product are people finding works the best? Caulking tube products or the tape product?
Streamerden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
The roof cap joint is terrible. Get the flex seal tape and follow the instructions to apply it and this will solve the roof cap joint. Above the window, the arched metal piece also has its issues. The wood will rot and the metal piece has nothing to adhere to. I had to put more wood inside and used self tapping screws to keep the piece tight against the fiberglass, and then sealed with caulk. No issues for almost 9 years

normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote