Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #1

Lake Luzerne , New York
Red face 2003 26' Land Yacht, gas vs diesel

Am looking at a gas powered Land Yacht - 55,000 miles, one owner vehicle next week - any pointers on what to look for - maintenance tips, pros/cons of diesel vs gas, known issues w/this make/model/year. Only prior RV experience we have is a eurovan camper, so this is a big step up size wise, although small for a Class A RV. All advise greatly appreciated.
GraceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Drive it, and see how well it goes down the road, are there any road wander or steering issues? This seems to be a common complaint. Look at the maintenance records, what has been done or will need to be done. Condition of batteries and tires, how soon before they will need replacement. Any collision damage or water damage from leaking roof or windows. Have there been any recurring problems on the MH. Are all the electrical and water systems working properly. These are a few questions you could ask. One of the major problems associated with MH's would be the water leaks, and the damage it can cause. There are advantages and disadvantages to both gas and diesel,and how much driving you intend to do would come into play. But with this length MH the 454 engine would provide enough power. There are a number of members on the Forum that have models similar to the one you will be looking at and seem quite happy with them, perhaps they will be commenting too. I have an older model 1993 and enjoy it very much. Bottom line you can tell if the unit has been taken care of or not when you look at it. There are a lot of MH's out there for sale, so take your time and look around.Hope this helps . Randy

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We have a 2005 with the 8.1 gas engine. I have not had any problems that are inherent to this model, but things that are typical to a moho. Gloran's comments above cover the typical issues. I still have a little straight-line wander in the lane but I'm also due for an alignement that I'm told may help. My dual pane windows (optional) are clouding inside, and some roof leaks that were minor were due to some sealing that was worn and not attended to. My previous owner installed a Banks kit so I have plenty of power, don't know what a stock power train feels like.

Tags
2003 land yacht