Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltflyfsh View Post
Thank you Dave, for your suggestions. Sorry to be getting back to you so late but the storm took out our electricity for about 36 hours. I believe you are correct, it is an Acme installation. My Land Yacht is a gasoline model with a 454 engine and the controls for the A/C are push button. I thought it was fixed two years ago, however last summer I was not able to get away although when I checked it several times it seemed to be blowing cool air. But I should mention that it has never been able to produce air as cool as any vehicles that I have previously or currently own, which makes me skeptical. When I started it this summer I expected it was not going to be very cool and it wasn't so I took it to my local garage to have the freon topped off but that was a disaster in that it was warmer when I drove it home. I had an RV dealer rebuild the system two years ago, including all new hoses and fittings but I suspected that it was not their specialty as they seemed to be struggling with the job. I am about to take it to a new place that claims to specialize in A/C repairs as well as various other areas of repair. I went on line to locate them. If they don't work out then I will follow your advice and inquire at all local truck dealerships. The repair facility that I have chosen does claim to do work on trucks and buses so I am hopeful that it will finally be the right choice. I very much appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed response and would be glad to hear any other thoughts that you might have.
I have the same AC you have...it is an ACME installation and I had mine completely rebuilt about a year ago (I live in a hot part of the country and having a working dash air system helps a lot!).

However, at idle, the dash AC just doesn't cool. As soon as I start moving down the road, you notice a difference right away. Also, if its extremely hot outside, and I'm not running my roof AC at the same time, the dash air will not cool very well...its the same system used in cars and trucks and just can't cool a space as big as a motorhome on an extremely hot day! If its just warm outside...the dash air works great!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #16

1998 30' Excella 1000
1998 31' Land Yacht
mohave valley , 86440
solar power volt meter

i just bought a 1998 airstream land yatch can not firgur out how the solar power works

Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
beajoy - - Welcome to the AF.

The way that SOLAR works is -- if the sun shines and you have the right equipment, you receive a charge.

A little bit more detail when asking a question will be helpful.
We also like pictures, of the problem and of your unit, so lots of pictures are good.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by beajoy View Post
i just bought a 1998 airstream land yatch can not firgur out how the solar power works
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
98 33' Beach House

1998 33' Land Yacht
Beaufort , South Carolina
The solar collector on your roof provides a trickle charge to your house batteries.

The lighted indicator panel on the left bulkhead as you enter the coach gives you an indication of the amount of charge at any given time.

How well does it charge? That's anyone's guess. I don't rely on it.

The folks at Solyndra might be able to en-lighten us?! NOT
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Is your solar the small unit that was factory installed. Or was it added after market?

And a suggestion... you may want to start a new thread about "how does the solar power work on a 1998 Airstream land yacht".

You will probably get more response than having it here on this dash AC thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Onalaska , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post
Is your solar the small unit that was factory installed. Or was it added after market?

And a suggestion... you may want to start a new thread about "how does the solar power work on a 1998 Airstream land yacht".

You will probably get more response than having it here on this dash AC thread.
Aye aye! I'd be interested in a solar discussion. There probably already is one, I just haven't searched for it yet. But direct me and us other newbies to a thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #21
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
Click on the link below to take a look at some solar panel topics...

Generators & Solar Power - Airstream Forums