Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

1989 32' Excella
1997 32' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
House Springs , Missouri
Smile 1997 AIRSTREAM Land Yacht

Say Can anyone help me with info on one of these Units
1997 AIRSTREAM Land Yacht with a Cat Motor
Airstream Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Help

Ed,

What do you need. I have '95 with Cummins and can possibly assist. have had a great two years fixing and replacing on mine.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I have the 1997 LY with 275 hp Cummings. Engine runs great. My problems were more with the transmission and front suspension. All repaired now so its time to focus on other things up upgrading appliances and water lines.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Mike,

The one for sure upgrade I made was to add a Banks system to the engine. What a difference! I gained at least 30hp, don't lag on entering freeway, and gained 1-2 mpg. Climbing hills (we call them mountains in the East) is now done in fifth gear most of the time with 4th used on particularly long grades. When done for the day the bedroom area is nice and cool, whereas previously had to wait an hour for everything to cool down. I know this has saved the engine.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Gunworks - I am considering the Banks system. However, because of the larger diesel its much quicker than I expect and pulling Jeep, got 11-12mpg on cross country trip to MT. Decided to get rid of the washer/dryer and replace with a small dishwasher. Until I retire, 10-12 days is my max time traveling. One mystery is in the driver footwell, hot/cold air blows in just under the dash on far left. So far have not found where it enters but suspect its in front compartment where frame meets sidewall. Appears to have a gap there. Have you experienced this? On trip to MT driving at night in 30deg my left foot was frozen and dash heat was full blast.

Also, does yours have the rear heater option near side door? Mine does not work, any suggestions?
Mike
Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Heat (or cold)

Couple years ago I emptied everything I cold from the front bonnet climbed in (nickname is munchkin) and sealed up every hole, crack and cable run with expanding foam. Also wrapped automotive sticky black stuff around hoses and larger cables. World of difference. As for the rear heater, yes I have one, but mine works fine. If I was to guess, maybe hose became disconnected. Can you hear fan blowing when you put your ear down by the vent? I don't know if there is a separate fan motor employed there or not. If there is, possibly a breaker or the fan itself. Sorry, I can't be of any more assistance.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I plan to do the same with my front hood area once the weather warms. Found a 2" gap on drivers side that I plan to fill with foam insulation.

The rear heater fan is not working. Also found a light near the exterior steps that is under the body and not working, cover was missing but bulb is in place. Plan to get it fixed too.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Got an update on the Rear Heater. It was unplugged!!!

I pulled off the grills and first found the carpet to be blocking over half of the 2 openings. Trimmed it back and found the plug just hanging. Does not appear to have been in operation much. The fins on the condenser unit are clean.

Plugged it in, started up the diesel....and it runs like a top getting warm very fast. Glad it was a simple easy fix!!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Rear heat

It is a nice feeling when things are so simple. Rarely does it happen to me, but it is appreciated when it does. Congrats!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Sometimes we all get lucky

We're on a trip to Florida and moving quite often from campground to campground. Our TV's all of a sudden didn't work. I thought before we
switched to flat screens, i'd try a new portable window antenna. No luck, so I returned it and bought a cheaper digital converter box, and now both OEM TV's came back to life. 22 years old and still a great Airstream DP Land Yacht!
Sometimes even the blind squirrel gets an acorn.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
Ardmore , Oklahoma
Question Allen

Hello, I have a 1996 land yacht wide body diesel pusher. I am looking for a condenser like the one underneath behind spare tire in front of coach. It Has a port on each side instead of both on the same side. Mine measures 26.5 x 13.5 overall dimensions. There are no numbers, model, part on this unit. Can anyone direct me where to locate one like this. I have been searching on line but all have pots on one side only.
Regards
Allen
RV AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Ardmore , Oklahoma
Hey Ed I have the same rig you have. I’m trying to find a AC condensore like the one underneath the front end of the RV. It has a port on each side unlike all I’ve found online which are both on one side. My measures 26.5x13.5.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hi...the dash AC system for this model was an Acme AC Unit. Fortunately mine still works great but I did have to replace the fan mounted on the condenser unit. Front area would be hot as heck in traffic and or Florida in the summer.

Recommend you try this website for replacement parts:

ACMEairparts.com

Once I got the fan working, the sensor switch on the low side stopped working. It was a $25 dollar part so with these older units, might want to consider replacing that as well.

My auto steps quit while on a July4th holiday camping trip in 100+ degrees.....FYI.....discovered the true limit of our propane generator is 25 hours of load run time. Had both AC units on and almost ran out.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Ardmore , Oklahoma
Thanks Mike, I bought one that was close to the old one but modified mounting so I could run lines on same side as this new one has. I’m replacing all the components of the AC unit.
RV Al
Old 08-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Good luck getting the AC fixed.

While your poking around inside the front compartment, check the area on the drivers side next to the fiberglass outter skin. Mine had a huge gap which allowed air into the drivers area near your left foot. Needless to say my left foot was frozen when I got to Montana so stuffed couple large sections of pink residential insulation into that gap. It stopped the air flow and made a huge difference. Once back in FL my dash AC worked much better too.

Another issue to watch for. If your rear step heater stops working, check the power cord cause those get tangled in the auto steps and will pull the wire loose.