Old 02-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
1996 LY Pre-purchase question

After looking over in detail a 1996 LY with 73k, we are going to go for a test drive tomorrow.

In fair to good condition overall - but one thing buggered is the a parking brake - have read up a bit on it, but would like to find a bona fide service manual. The owner uses a pair of electric switches on the dash - see pic.

And yet there is also a standard parking brake foot lever - that goes to the floor with no effect. The owner indicated it needed adjustment - I can understand that with a cable, but cannot figure out the electric switch activation?

Have did a search, but cannot find a link to download a P30 Chassis Service Manual. I can buy a hard copy on ebay, but was hoping to get something today.

I swear I remember a site where you entered/registered your VIN, which then gave you access to download the Chassis Service Manual; but I cannot find it for the life of me.

This is not a deal breaker, but the MoHome is 200 miles from us, and I would be driving it for the first time on freeways without a clue as to it's condition.

Any pointers appreciated.

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I have a 1993LY 33' On my coach the hand lever parking brake is set to activate the jacks. To release the auto parking brake,after you apply your foot on the brake peddle and put the shifter lever in gear you hold the brake peddle down until the brake light on the dash goes out. Then you can move the coach. On the picture you have shown I would think the light would change from red to green or blue whatever that light is in the picture.

gloran - 1993 LY MH 33' - Banks System, Steer Safe, IPD front stabilizer, Super Steer - Bell Cranks, Motion Control, Coil
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1996 33' Land Yacht
Looks like someone HOT WIRED the Auto Park system. If Auto Park is engaged the foot park brake will go right to the floor with no effect. If Auto park is disengaged the foot brake should work. Google search P-30 Auto Park. I don't think Airstream or GM put those 2 lights and switches on the dash.
zagos24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Thanks guys.
We consummated the deal after a test drive, and she now resides in Tucson. Seems Photobucket will not let me upload at the moment, but I'm sure you have all seen a '96 Land Yacht...

The PO indicated it was like this when he purchased it. After putzing around bit, discovered the top(red) switch is the only one that does anything. "Down" is on, and up is off. The blue is indeed not functional as far as I can tell.

It was about 200 miles home, and learned a few things:
1. The stock headlights suck.
2.The stereo and speakers suck.
3. The top storage cabinets (above the drivers/passenger seats) moves a lot; does not appear well connected to the roof.
4. The steering is ... loosey goosey. Maybe 2.5"-3" free play left-right.
5. The front end wallows like a '67 Caddy.
6. The front tires are NINE years old...

Ordered bell cranks, koni shocks, and Toyo tires today. Hard to believe no tire store in Tucson carries Toyos in 19.5".

Have to get the auto-park resolved soon as well. Weird stuff. How is it the Feds have not got involved with this??? At this point, I am thinking of removing the hydraulic auto-park and going with just the manual pedal. While I have seen a couple solutions, they all seem more complex than I would like to keep the auto-park. One thing I thought of was to use a worm gear tied to the "Park" position switch of the gear lever. Have one of these on a sidecar for levelling purposes. Plenty of torque, lots of throw, and once power is removed, they lock until power is then applied with reverse polarity. Or a long throw 12VDC solenoid with a ratchet engagement would also work. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, looking forward to getting some deferred maintenance done, and get the old girl handling well. Hope to do a couple trips this summer. Plan on trailering our unique toad...

pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
A previous owner removed the auto park on our rig. We put new brakes on, and use the parking brake which works fine. We likely would not have removed the original braking system, but are glad someone else did!
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote