Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #15

2002 27' Safari
Woodstock , New York
Any one have experience with leaks coming from the air conditioner?
I have a 2002 Safari and I'm getting a small amount of water dripping during hard rains. Also, in the summer the condensation drips when the AC is on.
Worried about the floor if you know what I mean.
thanks!
c

Old 06-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Update.

The tech used methyl hydrate to clean the surfaces before applying the Eternabond tape.

So he came here, checked the tape and it seems that it bonded fine to the aluminum cap but that the pebbled area allowed water to work its way under the tape in two or three spots. The simplest solution for now was to use lap sealant on both sides of the Eternabond. We'll see how this holds up.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisamaxwell
Any one have experience with leaks coming from the air conditioner?
I have a 2002 Safari and I'm getting a small amount of water dripping during hard rains. Also, in the summer the condensation drips when the AC is on.
Worried about the floor if you know what I mean.
thanks!
c
I'm no extert on this, but I do know that air conditioners sit on a rubber gasket. It may be that yours is not seated well or that when it was installed the gasket may have been damaged (or missing). From what I was told by an AS dealer, the condensate is supposed to go through a tube and exits in one of the wheelwells.

In summary, you may be advised to have the a/c unit lifted off, check to see that the rubber gasket is OK and then reinstall the a/c unit.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The conclusion of the Eternabond saga

I got a call this afternoon from the Eternabond rep pursuant to my email to them. It turned out that the tape I was using was not theirs, but a copycat version - the identifying marking on the inside of the cardboard roll said "HW" - it should have said "micro sealant". As well, the sealant was black, and the Eternabond one is gray.

It seems that the parts supply house to my tech had suggested this tape instead of the genuine product as it was available in 37-foot lengths, whereas the Eternabond they had in supply was only in 10-foot rolls. The tech, it seems, was told by the supply place that it was the same - obviously it isn't.

The Eternabond rep suggested that since the tape I have on now is 4-inch wide, I could cover it with 6-inch wide Eternabond and that it would be a final seal that should last. For now, since lap sealant has been put on, I'm going to defer any further work. This winter I'll be in the sunny south, and I'll be able to buy what I need and put it on myself.

The moral is "caveat emptor" - buyer beware of what the salesmen tell you is good, especially if what they have is in stock and what you really need isn't.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Another two cents worth...

This copied from the Eternabond website tells you he or his supplier is full of it:

EternaBond OneStep Miracle RV Roof Tape is 4" wide and 37' long. Specifically designed for the RV'er. OneStep utilizes Eternabond's advanced MicroSealant Technology with bult-in primers and a specialized white UV stable backing. Perfect for all RV roof repairs and maintenance. Truly a one step process. Very little pre-cleaning necessary. Did you know RV roof seams require yearly maintenance? Use OneStep over factory roof seams one time and never do roof seam maintenance again! Lifetime warranty!

Sorry you went through this mess but glad it was brand X and not Eternabond, and we can still believe in this product.
Texas Hill Country
Santart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
It sure has been a learning experience, Frank. The Eternabond rep did tell me that they have their tape in 6-inch width and 50-foot rolls as well. I'll be watching for this stuff to go on sale (I can hope) and I'll get a couple of rolls. To remove what is on the roof now would be a major work, as it has adhered well to the aluminum cap. For the next year or so, I'll use the lap sealant myself if need be. The big job or removing the old tape, cleaning the seams and resealing them with genuine Eternabond will have to wait a couple of years. Thanks a lot for your input in this.