Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Lubbock , Texas
Yes, that is correct, from the top you have fiberglass, Luan, foam, Luan.

Your problem sounds a lot like ours, we could feel some soft spots in places and assumed the Luan was gone. As soon as the Luan was off, we could see the Luan and fiberglass were actually the strongest part of the roof, and that the soft spots were indicative of where the steel had rusted through.

We first thought we could bend new steel for the roof and weld it to the stringers along the sides, but further investigation showed there was no steel left to weld to. You could put your finger through the rust in most places.

Are you seeing rivets popping out on your caps or awnings, or cabinets sagging inside? Both are caused by the steel these items are attached to rusting out.

Hopefully yours is still repairable, good luck and let us know what you find!
sv34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1996 30' Land Yacht
Riverview , Florida
No, there are no rivets popping our nor are the cabinets sagging. There are two areas of main concern. One by the front cap attachment on the passenger side which I think may actually be due to the awning attachment. The other is by the front skylight which was repaired by the factory in 2006 but now has a crack on the outer flange and is leaking on the inside. That same skylight had leaked towards the oven and the interior luan is rotten. There are many places where the vinyl is sagging but the luan behind still appears to be in good shape. Looks more like the vinyl shrunk over time, the foam backing fell apart and all separated from the luan. If I hadn't gotten up on the roof and felt the soft spots I would have replaced the skylights, resealed everywhere else and proceeded to put a new ceiling in. Before tearing it apart though I need to source and price a new fiberglass roof. From some of the pictures I've found on the net it appears that the fiberglass will not be reusable and will not come off easily. Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how it comes out.
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
I believe the roof was bonded together into one "sandwich", and then clipped onto the walls. You certainly don't want to ever lay one on it's roof in the ditch!
lonestranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #44

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Lilburn , Georgia
When I bought my 95 Land Yacht Last March I found pictures where someone had the roof removed on theirs and you could see the structure underneath. Does anyone know where those are posted?
noelslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Lubbock , Texas
I didn't save the link, but here is one of the photos from the album you're talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	230454  
sv34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:11 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
The post was on page 10 by Possummamma back in July of 2010